Talk

Advanced search

to already be looking forward to school restarting?

(64 Posts)
EatDessertFirst Tue 11-Aug-15 10:03:05

I can't take the bickering much more! DD is nearly 7 and DS is nearly 5 and it seems to be their new life pursuit to get mummy to go batshit crazy every day. We are skint at the moment so I can't afford more than one 'thing' per week (free cinema yesterday with MacDonalds after) and no amount of ignoring/seperating/chucking in the garden seems to work. I'm really looking forward to going to work for three hours today so I don't have to listen to 'MUUUUUUM, HE'S LOOKING AT ME!!!!!!' anymore. We go to the local park eveyday to burn off some energy, and they have seen their local friends regularly.
Apologies for the rant.

Is anyone else having this?

Roll on September!!

Lolamon Tue 11-Aug-15 10:04:30

Here here!

I'm sick of being a bouncer rather than a parent!

FernGullysWoollyPully Tue 11-Aug-15 10:07:18

Ya definitely nbu!

NotEnoughTime Tue 11-Aug-15 10:19:24

I hear ya!

To be honest the holidays are going quite well for me AT THE MOMENT but we have got another few weeks to go so we shall see.

I had planned to go the park today but have woken up with the period from hell so am currently mainlining painkillers and feeling very sorry for myself so I think it might be a good day to have a tv and duvet day.

Hang on in there-it does get easier as they get older but more expensive too but we won't go in to that now grin

Bettercallsaul1 Tue 11-Aug-15 10:24:29

You mean you're not relishing every nanosecond with your precious ones? What MN sacrilege is this? grin

dementedpixie Tue 11-Aug-15 10:25:18

1 week left to go here (scotland)

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 11-Aug-15 10:25:41

Hell yes! Twomdsay to go <starts counting hours>

Ragwort Tue 11-Aug-15 10:28:07

Better - grin - yes, where are all the mumsnetters saying how much they love the holidays, no routine, endless time with their children, skipping around the fields having picnics and enjoying educational trips to places of interest grin.

I guess those posters wouldn't be skulking around on mumsnet when the children are awake. grin

ProcrastinatorGeneral Tue 11-Aug-15 10:29:04

Second week in September for our lot. I may be in a cell by then.

<rocks in a corner with a brew for company>

ChameleonCircuit Tue 11-Aug-15 10:29:37

Me too! If it carries on, I'm going to don black shirt and shorts and buy myself a whistle!

However, if you have some Nectar points and can get to Sainsburys today, they'll exchange 1000 points for 2 tickets to Vue cinema. Offer ends today, though - at least round here it does.

shitebag Tue 11-Aug-15 10:31:27

Ours go back next Tuesday, everyone is ready to get back to normality.

As much as I love my children, 24/7 is just too much time with them grin

formerbabe Tue 11-Aug-15 10:33:13

Wait for the "why did you have children if you don't enjoy spending every second of the day with them?" comments!

I am looking forward to my 2 going back counting down the days

I can't wait to clean my house in peace, go to the gym and get a much needed haircut!

KeyserSophie Tue 11-Aug-15 10:33:34

August 21st- be jealous!!!!! They finished end of June though.

EatDessertFirst Tue 11-Aug-15 10:33:45

Hope it stays that way NotEnough.

Sacrilege be damned Bettercall wink! I adore them to the depths of my soul and I miss them every evening when they go to bed. I do not miss them when they hover around me constantly asking for snacks/tv/tablet etc. This parenting lark is so confusing sometimes, and very intense! I shall start saving at the end of this month for next Summer I think.

I need [gin].

Bettercallsaul1 Tue 11-Aug-15 10:34:40

Ragwort - Oh, I'm sure they'll be appearing soon! I'm surprised they've taken so long. They're probably just clearing up the painting debris before starting baking... grin

Maltesermom Tue 11-Aug-15 10:35:17

Lolamon, Bouncer,love that lol.

YANBU x

EatDessertFirst Tue 11-Aug-15 10:36:00

Bettercall got there first Ragwort.

hopelessadventure Tue 11-Aug-15 10:36:08

This is the first year that there hasn't been that bickering every day. I'm hoping it's because they are getting older and I can disperse them around the village if necessary! Having said that, I am looking forward to school going back but mostly because I start my teacher training on 1st September and am so freaking excited!

greenhill Tue 11-Aug-15 10:37:02

Can you get them to do different activities in two separate rooms?

One could be reading, the other doing a jigsaw, one painting/ drawing or chalking in the garden, the other kicking a ball around with you, one playing with toys in their room, one helping make something at the other end the table. Get them to help you load the washing machine, hang it out or make lunch, and keep them busy.

If all else fails a picnic on the sitting room floor, complete with a blanket, several snacks and a drink in their school water bottles if you don't want spills. Or a DVD complete with popcorn and snacks that you all sit through together, with you sat between them.

Refereeing squabbles is dull, tiring and noisy. But you can always threaten them with some number bonds, phonics, spellings or times tables if they say they don't have anything to do grin

ghostyslovesheep Tue 11-Aug-15 10:42:24

mine are away this week with their dad - I miss them - they will be back Friday - 30 mins after they come back I guarantee I'll be back to refereeing the worlds loudest grudge matches

I need a big whistle

Mine don't go back until the 8th of September!!!!

EatDessertFirst Tue 11-Aug-15 10:46:16

I seperate them regularly but they fight tooth and nail to be close to each other. At the moment DD is reading a story to DS and singing with him. They get along so beautifully a small amount of the time and I don't want to deprive them of that closeness. Films are a fixture after lunch most days at the moment because they will actually sit and watch it -on seperate sofas-- and I get an hours blessed peace.
Chore-wise they already have more daily chores than most children I know far too many accordng to my DM , but with DPs and my shiftwork they have to chip in to the running of the house.

Thank you for your suggestions though greenhill. I have to to make more effort to read withthem. Its taken a backseat this holiday so far.

Ragwort Tue 11-Aug-15 10:47:42

green - sorry to sound rude but I can't think of anything worse than having to sit through a childrens' DVD grin - and getting children to make lunch usually takes a maximum of ten minutes of their time and then another hour of your time clearing up the mess.

Yes, I am happy to admit that I find parenting very hard work.

esiotrot2015 Tue 11-Aug-15 10:47:45

I am thinking of sodding Christmas and putting the money towards holiday clubs next summer grin

insanityscatching Tue 11-Aug-15 10:50:36

I love the holidays but I have 5dc and four of them are adults grin so now with only one 12 year old to entertain (or not as she finds her own entertainment) life is a doddle. That doesn't mean to say though that I have forgotten the years of wrangling four with only six years between the oldest and youngest which was hell at times.
Nowadays school holidays mean long lie ins, lazy lunches and the occasional trip out..... absolute bliss. Four more weeks here brilliant.

Pumpkinette Tue 11-Aug-15 10:56:02

YANBU. I am actually ecstatic school in back on Thursday. My 5 year old DD has taken to asking Why? After everything I ask her to do / tell her she can't do something. It has been a long 7 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now