Talk

Advanced search

To think my DH ought to appreciate the importance of the shower?

(19 Posts)
ProvisionallyAnxious Mon 10-Aug-15 22:21:59

Mostly lighthearted. smile

Our boiler has decided to stop working and started leaking today when I have an important meeting at work tomorrow with a somewhat senior colleague. I'm grumpy about this because I hate having greasy hair at the best of times but least of all when I need to be feeling confident. My DH says he can't understand why it matters so much to me or why I need to be upset about not having a shower and invariably having to be the one who has to organise fixing it .

AIBU to think that the inability to wash one's hair is deserving of at least a mild grump, and that he's revealing a hitherto-unknown Neanderthal nature wrt personal hygiene?! grin

BestZebbie Mon 10-Aug-15 22:23:05

Wash your hair in the sink.... ;-)

Birdsgottafly Mon 10-Aug-15 22:25:18

Do your taps still work?

I've boiled water, either on the kettle, or a pan, if I've ever had problems with running hot water.

I wouldn't go to work with unwashed hair, even if I had to make an appeal on FB.

DJThreeDog Mon 10-Aug-15 22:25:22

Weeellllll.....we once managed without hot water for about 6 weeks (waiting for a part).

Strip washes and cold hair washes over the bath were the order of the day here! Although I did post on here one memorable day when our twins decided to have explosive diarrhoea at the same time. That wasn't fun!

So YABU. Suck it up buttercup and have a cold one wink grin

SnapesCapes Mon 10-Aug-15 22:28:35

DH here doesn't understand at all about how awful having greasy hair feels. But that is because he only has 4 strands like Homer Simpson and is jealous of my lustrous Thor-like mane.

Good luck with the meeting. And with the ridiculous boiler. On the plus side, it's summer so you won't freeze to death!

Pinkshire85 Mon 10-Aug-15 22:32:03

I had this! My bald husband who has shower facilities at work did not get the need for speed when chasing boiler repair. I had 2 weeks of shallow but warm baths, strip washes and learned the skill of washing hair with kettle, cold water and jug. It is doable and I could have gone to the swimming pool - I hasten to add, not to wash in it but to use shower facilities before and after!

I feel your pain but if you've got water and kettle is it manageable.

MizK Mon 10-Aug-15 22:32:19

Do you belong to a gym? Or have a swimming baths nearby? Would be worth the price of admission to use the showers there. YANBU.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 10-Aug-15 22:32:45

I am with you. I love my shower. It's too much effort to wash my mane in the bath...

ProvisionallyAnxious Mon 10-Aug-15 22:33:01

Unfortunately, I live on Scotland, so all bets r.e. freezing to death are off this summer. envy

Am working up to a cold shower. I tried boiling a couple of kettles and chucking them in the bath but rapidly realised that was a fool's game.

I'm more annoyed by my DH's unnatural odd reaction than by the situation itself, at this point. grin

ValancyJane Mon 10-Aug-15 22:35:06

Yanbu, can you throw yourself on the mercy of a friend? When we didn't have hot water my very best friend had me round once a day to use their shower. I am still grateful!

CamelHump Mon 10-Aug-15 22:36:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Passmethecrisps Mon 10-Aug-15 22:36:46

Get a bucket (or two) and fill it with overly warm water. Use a jug to wash your hair then have a sponge wash.

Better than greasy hair.

And you have my sympathy - our shower broke and boiler was condemned days after moving into our new house.

Thankfully we have an immersion heater so we could run the hot tap

MaximiseProductivity Mon 10-Aug-15 22:37:15

We have had (short) periods with no shower but I have never, ever been to work without washing my hair. Unwashed hair is one thing I just can't stand. I'm happy to camp without the ability to dry hair etc but it must be washed everyday. Not difficult to do in the sink or a bucket though.

Dh is ex-squaddie and has to be reminded to shower even when it's working.

Pumpkinette Mon 10-Aug-15 22:39:14

Look on the bright side OP, washing you hair in freezing cold water will make it nice and shiny.

Zeitgeistic Mon 10-Aug-15 22:41:14

Wash your hair in the sink. Or get some dry shampoo. A blast or two of Batiste will really help.

Passmethecrisps Mon 10-Aug-15 22:41:17

I once stayed in a hotel where a member of staff used to deliver buckets of hot water for just this purpose. There was a shower head with cold water for rinsing off the real grub.

ProvisionallyAnxious Mon 10-Aug-15 22:43:56

Cold shower achieved. Life-affirming, right? grin

DH, who had gone to bed, ran through to the bathroom in horror and exclaimed he hadn't realised I took it that seriously!

ProvisionallyAnxious Mon 10-Aug-15 22:50:00

Pumpkinette

"Maybe she's born with it. Maybe her boiler's broken." grin

TattyDevine Mon 10-Aug-15 22:53:11

If this goes on, a wash and blow dry in a salon is probably worth the £30 and then some wink

This is how my mum survived having a plaster on her leg...salon twice a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now