Talk

Advanced search

to not want to do the sodding washing up?

(10 Posts)
FithColumnist Mon 10-Aug-15 22:00:32

Until recently, DH has been out of work. He's been brilliant while he's been unemployed, keeping on top of the majority of the housework and doing (most) of the washing up. I was still doing all the cooking, but he did the lion's share of everything as I was in full time work.

Now the shoe it on the other foot. I'm on summer holiday and he's started working full time. So I've been doing all the housework (i.e. the stuff I used to do anyway, plus the stuff he's stopped doing), all the washing up and all the cooking. I don't mind doing the bulk of it, as he did the bulk of the housework when I was at work. But he hasn't lifted a sodding finger. AIBU to just want a single night off Fairy Liquid duty?

(Related: AIBU to insist that we get a dishwasher with our next paychecks? God only knows the squalour we'll be living in come September if both of us are working. Or to seriously think about a cleaner. We aren't really naice enough to have a cleaner, but I think it might be worth a shot.)

BeautifulBatman Mon 10-Aug-15 22:02:11

Seriously? You're home all day and don't want to wash up? biscuit

APlaceOnTheCouch Mon 10-Aug-15 22:02:58

Get a dishwasher and a cleaner. Life is too short to feel resentful about doing dishes.

cariadlet Mon 10-Aug-15 22:05:29

dp and I have a deal. One of us does the cooking each evening and the other one does the washing up.

We both work full time, but I'm a teacher so on summer holiday while he's still at work most days. But we're still sticking to the same deal.
I'm doing other stuff each day eg housework or gardening, so dp hasn't even considered expecting me to do both cooking and dishes.

I won't show him the op in case he gets any ideas. wink

ChocolatePebbles Mon 10-Aug-15 22:06:15

You ANBU. If he thought it fair for you to pick up some of the chores when he wasn't working, then the same should apply when you aren't working. Seems obvious to me.

Pumpkinette Mon 10-Aug-15 22:08:07

Nope YANBU. You still done the cooking when you worked full time so it's only fair he should still do the washing up now he's working full time. In our house the rule is one person cooks and the other does the washing up. It's interchangeable who does what.

DJThreeDog Mon 10-Aug-15 22:13:12

YANBU, but, get a dishwasher!

I took one of our cupboards out to fit in a dishwasher a few months ago - transformed my life. Fucking hate washing dishes.

TendonQueen Mon 10-Aug-15 22:18:10

He should still at least do something.

Plus, who's going to do what when your summer holiday ends and you're both working?

greenhill Mon 10-Aug-15 22:20:57

YANBU but get a dishwasher, they're really cheap and last for years. Don't argue over the dishes or having dish pan hands, but you'll need to handwash wine glasses so invest in some decent marigolds.

FithColumnist Mon 10-Aug-15 22:22:57

TendonQueen exactly. Apparently "we'll work something out", which I assume is code for muggins doing the lot. angry

BeautifulBatman I'm not sat on my arse watching Jeremy Kyle all day. I'm doing work (as in actual work, as well as other housework).

I'm currently attempting to kill him with thought-waves, but he seems to have developed an immunity by playing the PS3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now