Talk

Advanced search

To protest at the words "Jewish" and "Israeli" being used interchangeabley.

(257 Posts)
Jewishnotisraeli Mon 10-Aug-15 20:25:40

They are not the same thing at all.

Most Jews are not Isreali

Many Isrealis are not Jewish.

20-25% of Israelis, including the Israeli army are Muslim, ( varies year to year)

Some Jews are Arabs. Some Arabs are Jewish.

Some Palestinians on the West bank are Jewish.

There are no known Jewish Palestinians in the Gaza strip as Hamas has succeeded where Hitler failed, in wiping out it's own indigenous Jewish population. This is the ONLY reason why there are no Jews left in this population.

Israel has done terrible things. Hamas has done terrible things.

Please don't classify things done by Israel as done by Jews, a quarter of them are not Jews. please don't classify things done by Hamas as done to Jews, many of their atrocities are inflicted on Muslims.

To say Jews and Israelis are the same is like saying English people and Anglicans are the same, many people are English and Anglican, many people are English but not Anglican, and many Anglicans are not English.

And also, some Palestinians, and some Israelis are Christians.

trufflesnout Mon 10-Aug-15 20:27:35

YANBU at all - many people I have tried to explain this to were not even aware of Zionism or Zionists.

BarbarianMum Mon 10-Aug-15 20:41:19

YANBU at all.

GayByrne Mon 10-Aug-15 20:42:04

I need to know more about this. Thank you OP. I'm reading, I'm learning.

Egosumquisum Mon 10-Aug-15 20:48:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

caroldecker Mon 10-Aug-15 20:54:40

egosum agreed, it does not necessarily make you anti-semitic. However supporting Hamas and Hezbollah, whose published desire is to kill all Jews (note, not Israelis) does.

Egosumquisum Mon 10-Aug-15 20:57:37

Revenant Mon 10-Aug-15 21:02:47

You do not have to be a supporter of either Hamas or Hezbollah to support the right of Palestinians to self determination, it isn't automatic! And just to point out the Israeli government encourages the perception that "Jewish" and "Israeli" are interchangeable, thereby meaning that any criticism of Israel is a slur on Judaism.

Egosumquisum Mon 10-Aug-15 21:03:25

TTWK Mon 10-Aug-15 21:08:24

YANBU. A few years back, 2 Israeli girls in Haifa were killed by rockets fired by Hezbollah from Southern Lebanon. So Israel retaliated and bombed Lebanon, killing hundreds. The news reported this as revenge attacks for the deaths of 2 Jewish children, but they weren't Jewish, they were Arab muslims, but Israeli citizens.

However, Revenant is spot on, as the Israeli govt are largely to blame for this, as any criticism of Israel and their foreign policy and they scream anti Semitism.....even if the critic is Jewish! And many Jews are critical of Israel.

Jewishnotisraeli Mon 10-Aug-15 21:09:52

Does wanting the Palestinians to have their own land and not be bombed make you anti-semitic?

no of course not. I want the Palestinians to have their own land and not be bombed.

Egosumquisum Mon 10-Aug-15 21:11:48

Jewishnotisraeli Mon 10-Aug-15 21:12:10

And just to point out the Israeli government encourages the perception that "Jewish" and "Israeli" are interchangeable

so what? what relevance does that have to me? I have no connection with the Israeli government at all, and never will, why should what they are seen to encourage or discourage matter at all in this?

wafflyversatile Mon 10-Aug-15 21:12:53

It is very annoying to criticise the Israeli govt and be accused of hating jews.

CoteDAzur Mon 10-Aug-15 21:13:00

"There are no known Jewish Palestinians in the Gaza strip as Hamas has succeeded where Hitler failed, in wiping out it's own indigenous Jewish population. This is the ONLY reason why there are no Jews left in this population."

I would think the real reason why there are no living in occupied territories is that Jews would be welcomed back into the comfort of Israel and would not have to live in the abysmal conditions of what is effectively a prison camp, like the Palestinians are doomed to.

hibbledobble Mon 10-Aug-15 21:13:24

Op yanbu

Equally not all Jews are Zionists.

It would be too simplistic however to dissociate Israel and Judaism completely. Israel is a Jewish state, and a lot of anti-Israel sentiment is related to anti-semitism.

PacificDogwood Mon 10-Aug-15 21:13:30

YANBU at all.

I hate those lazy lumping-everything-together generalisations.

Egosumquisum Mon 10-Aug-15 21:14:29

hibbledobble Mon 10-Aug-15 21:17:44

I always find it interesting on threads like this that people are all too ready to criticise Israel, but you never hear anyone criticising the many atrocities that Hamas has committed, or their published aims.

Egosumquisum Mon 10-Aug-15 21:19:29

caroldecker Mon 10-Aug-15 22:04:27

Maybe if the Palestinians had not democratically elected Hamas, there may have been peace talks and an end to this.

The Israeli army may kill less people if Hamas did not install all thier military in schools and hospitals.

Maybe you should explain what the Israeli's should do to solve this unilaterally because the other side aren't trying.

FuzzyWizard Mon 10-Aug-15 22:13:04

Hamas are not in any way justified in killing people or using civilians as human shields but a good move towards peace IMO would be for Israel to withdraw from the areas where they currently have illegal settlements.

FuzzyWizard Mon 10-Aug-15 22:14:49

Oh and take serious steps towards ending the blockade of Gaza.

ShebaShimmyShake Mon 10-Aug-15 23:05:15

They are two entirely different things, like Arab/Muslim, but good luck getting the idiot brigade to understand it.

WorraLiberty Mon 10-Aug-15 23:14:39

YANBU

Genuinely curious to know why you've chosen a different anonymous internet name from your usual anonymous internet name, to say that though? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now