Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder where all the badly behaved children were?

(55 Posts)
cariadlet Mon 10-Aug-15 18:11:25

I went out with dd and decided to treat us to lunch at a café. The one I chose is fairly big, known to be family friendly and all but 2 or 3 of the tables had families including children. There were a mixture of babies, toddlers and older children.

At one point I looked around and realised that every single child was sitting down (either on a normal chair, in a high chair or in a buggy). Moreover, every child was quiet. They were either eating (very nicely), chatting to the others on their table or doing something like playing with the toys or sticker books that their parents had had the foresight to bring with them.

Not one child was shouting or screaming (I wouldn't count a couple of minutes of crying from one of the babies), throwing food or running around the café.

That's not what I'd been lead to expect from some of the MN threads. Was I incredibly lucky or had I wandered into some strange parallel universe?

WorraLiberty Mon 10-Aug-15 18:13:43

They were all at soft play...

DixieNormas Mon 10-Aug-15 18:15:09

I stayed in with mine today

MaximiseProductivity Mon 10-Aug-15 18:23:19

They're all the children of WOHPs so are locked up in daycare

Or the Single Parents are too poor to visit a restaurant

Or the spoilt MC children are all in the South of France

wink

travellinglighter Mon 10-Aug-15 18:25:11

Mine are on holiday.

GarminGirl Mon 10-Aug-15 18:27:48

Haha, sticker books, that the parents had had the foresight to bring with them!

EatShitDerek Mon 10-Aug-15 18:29:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoblinLittleOwl Tue 11-Aug-15 07:06:58

Running up and down the tiled concourse at my local gym, shrieking and screaming and cannoning into people carrying hot drinks.

Inkymess Tue 11-Aug-15 07:09:49

Mine are in holiday club burning off all their excess energy

lighteningirl Tue 11-Aug-15 07:26:54

Spoilt mc kids are stuck in Calais? Seriously tho I love Aug in my home town all 'those' families seem to be away

Catsize Tue 11-Aug-15 08:28:30

Were you in Madame Tussauds?

DiscoDiva70 Tue 11-Aug-15 08:44:40

Max
Or the single parents are too poor to visit a restaurant

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick but you seem to be suggesting that the kids of single parents would be 'unruly' when in a place like this.
And that single parents are too poor to.take their kids to a restaurant?

Well, I've been a single parent (who worked to provide for my kids) and we've always visited restaurants etc and they have always behaved extremely well.

In other words please don't catetgorize single parents!

purplemurple1 Tue 11-Aug-15 08:53:52

disco why pick put one sentence of what is obviously a joke?

I'm MC and a wohp - I can still laugh at the joke. ffs.

purplemurple1 Tue 11-Aug-15 08:54:41

Seriously though if I stuck my head in there id take my noisy baby and toddler else where.

MaximiseProductivity Tue 11-Aug-15 08:57:25

Oh dear, everyone else got it Disco. I listed a number of conflicting MN stereotypes

EmeraldKitten Tue 11-Aug-15 08:57:35

The cafe are obviously spiking the water/fruit shoot supply with downers.

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Tue 11-Aug-15 09:16:52

not here...

<hides kids under sofa and whistles innocently>

hazeyjane Tue 11-Aug-15 09:26:56

They were all with me

Dd's bickering
ds sat on a felt tip pen with the lid off getting pen on the sofa, whilst playing the ipad, drinking a drink not from the cafe, and getting biscuit (again not from the cafe) crumbs everywhere
our big wet buggy getting in the way wherever I put it....

me sobbing gently into my cappuccino having given up the will.

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Tue 11-Aug-15 09:32:06

(hugs hazey)
'tis ok darling, some of mine are running around naked wink

hazeyjane Tue 11-Aug-15 09:45:55

smile

ha, at least they all managed to keep their clothes on - a triumph!!

listsandbudgets Tue 11-Aug-15 09:52:13

Well my very active 3 year old wasn't there. We struggle to control him. He can unstrap high chairs then stands up singing and shouting. Sticker books get torn up. Crayons get destroyed and chucked about. Food gets spat out if judged of an unsatisfactory standard. If we're really lucky cutlery goes flying through the air aimed at other unsuspecting diners. He sings songs loudly and if he possibly can jumps about to create a thumping accompaniment. Meanwhile me, DP and DD struggled to control him and hold him down, keep the cutlery from him and ensure he didn't get hold of any glass)

And that's on a good day smile

(actually he's pretty good on the whole but I still shudder when I think of the resturant visit described above. After the starter we had the rest of the order packed into takeaway boxes and took it all home where needless to say he behaved like a little angel.)

minipie Tue 11-Aug-15 09:57:32

They'd never made it to the cafe as they refused to get dressed

<hard stare at naked DD>

Holberg Tue 11-Aug-15 10:15:31

Yes minipie!
They were on holiday with me hmm
If you have any kind of machine that has buttons on, it's not working now, and it was my DS! angry

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Tue 11-Aug-15 10:20:30

Actually I'm wondering if the Calm Cafe phenomenon is somewhat contagious, even through the Internet - my children are unusually calm todayshock confused

oh fuck, they are not all coming down with something are they?
<panics>

zazzie Tue 11-Aug-15 11:18:39

Mine is too difficult to manage on my own. You will find us in a park at 9am with my flask of caffeine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now