Talk

Advanced search

To think that school children in first world countries...

(19 Posts)
HMSmostleaky Mon 10-Aug-15 17:30:30

...should have to do a field trip to a landfill and a recycling centre during their school career and some school work on where our waste comes from?

I think it might help teach restraint if children had to see how much was wasted every day.

I know schools have a lot to cover and this would be just one more thing, one more expense but I think it is more important to our survival than most things that are taught in school.

TheHumourlessHarpy Mon 10-Aug-15 17:32:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

finallydelurking Mon 10-Aug-15 17:33:19

I agree! My local school does smile

Lightbulbon Mon 10-Aug-15 17:33:51

Better to take new parents to show them how much of it is nappies!

formerbabe Mon 10-Aug-15 17:33:51

Fab idea!

MaximiseProductivity Mon 10-Aug-15 17:35:28

How much of it is nappies Lightbulbon?

Excellent idea OP and within 20 years or so, all new parents would have been too grin

whathaveiforgottentoday Mon 10-Aug-15 17:36:15

We already do teach about it, however, doesn't"t mean they will change their behaviour. Parents are the single biggest issue.

whathaveiforgottentoday Mon 10-Aug-15 17:38:06

Biggest influence, not issue (although that could have been a Freudian slip).

MaximiseProductivity Mon 10-Aug-15 17:38:34

Yes, whathavei - I agree it's unlikely to change behaviours now, but to educate them for when they do control their own consumption

whathaveiforgottentoday Mon 10-Aug-15 17:48:22

I agree with education in this area, but just saying it is already taught in schools. If people are still not disposing of waste ethically, others incentives are needed.

Pipbin Mon 10-Aug-15 17:50:24

The local council used to have a program like that but it went when the funding became restricted.

WorraLiberty Mon 10-Aug-15 17:50:55

I think the time/money would be better spent on sorting out over packaging.

MaximiseProductivity Mon 10-Aug-15 17:52:30

IME, it is taught in schools but a bit half-heartedly. e.g the first thing our "green co-ordinator" did was order a load of badges for our ecowarriors to wear and the staff room Aircon is always left turned up to max for the benefit of an empty room grin

Letting DC see the landfill would be pretty powerful, I think even if it didn't have an immediate effect on people's habits.

HMSmostleaky Mon 10-Aug-15 17:59:14

I know that recycling etc is often taught at schools, but it is somewhat of an abstract topic. Looking at a massive pile of crap being plowed into the earth is a little more impacting than learning about recycling paper at school.

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 10-Aug-15 19:12:14

Like most schools we teach the 5 r s of recycling, we also have the children do litter duty.

But given the amount of parents that ring up and complain that their child shouldn't do it and the "fact" that no child in the school drops litter in the playground (we have asked them), even when you see them drop litter they deny it.

A trip to a landfill isn't going to do any good.

Pipbin Mon 10-Aug-15 19:15:18

So when I note comes home asking for £5 for a trip to the landfill then no one on MN will complain?

MaximiseProductivity Mon 10-Aug-15 19:18:07

I don't see why £5 for an educational trip to the landfill would get any more/less complaints than £5 for any other trip.

Egosumquisum Mon 10-Aug-15 19:18:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 10-Aug-15 19:26:52

Surely it would be people complaining about the over use of paper for the letters that would get the complaints.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now