Talk

Advanced search

To deed my baby this?

(22 Posts)
WhatsTheT Mon 10-Aug-15 14:30:32

So my friend came over for tea yesterday. Amongst other things we had steamed chicken and veg. I pit some to the side, mashed it up, gave half to my 8 month old put the other half in the freezer with the intention of thawing it out and cooking it another time for her or cooking straight from frozen in the microwave. My friend gave me a mini lecture and told me I shouldn't reheat chicken full stop never mind for a baby. The only thing I don't reheat is pork and rice.

Now.I'm a first time mummy so tell me if I'm an idiot. Was going to feed it her tonight ...

WhatsTheT Mon 10-Aug-15 14:32:44

Feed not deed

MrsDeVere Mon 10-Aug-15 14:35:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whichwaytoturntoday Mon 10-Aug-15 14:35:55

How does she think supermarkets produce ready meals? She is wrong.

AngelBlue12 Mon 10-Aug-15 14:36:03

I would do it, as far as I'm aware as long as it is reheated thoroughly (inc pork and rice!) then there isn't a problem - hasn't killed any of us yet lol

SevenEleven Mon 10-Aug-15 14:36:06

I reheat chicken in curries and casseroles, and used to do the same as you are suggesting when the DC were babies. As long as it is thoroughly reheated it will be fine.

Quinandthem Mon 10-Aug-15 14:36:26

Well I'm no expert but I've been cooking/freezing/defrosting all sorts of food for my 24m dd including chicken and rice and she's perfectly fine.

DJThreeDog Mon 10-Aug-15 14:37:07

Your mate IBU. And, I think with rice and pork you can do the same, so long as you reheat to nuclear and then let it cool down (although I admit I only learned about this on MN and regularly would reheat rice but just to warm blush).

WhatsTheT Mon 10-Aug-15 14:38:05

Great. I didn't think I was bonkers lol.

The rice thing I thought a nasty bacteria built up in rice ? Maybe I imagined that. Chicken dinner it is for the little lady

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 10-Aug-15 14:38:30

I have reheated chicken with no issue, as long as it's thoroughly reheated it's fine, same with pork.

PresidentTwonk Mon 10-Aug-15 14:38:53

That's fine if it's thoroughly reheated, that's how we eat left overs, batch cooked meals, ready meals etc. She is wrong!

AngieBolen Mon 10-Aug-15 14:39:05

Personally I wouldn't take it out of the freezer and then microwave it, I'd defrost it and then reheat it...but thats probably because I'd turn it into a piece of rubber.

You've made your own ready meal, so as long as it's heated through it'll be fine.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 10-Aug-15 14:41:17

My baby had chicken and rice yesterday (reheated). I am careful with them but it's fine.

Notso Mon 10-Aug-15 14:43:39

With rice it is the time it is spent standing at room temperature which is the problem. If you cook it and cool it quickly then reheating should be fine.

Kreeshsheesh Mon 10-Aug-15 14:43:50

Rice needs to be cooled down very quickly after cooking if you want to then reheat it at another point. Problems occur when people don't cool it properly and then try to re-heat it.

AliceAlice1979 Mon 10-Aug-15 14:45:14

I don't reheat rice or pork, re-cook it throughly though yes. The bacteria in rice are quite clever buggers, more clever than other bacteria. Worms in pork can be nasty if they survive and find your brain...
Chicken is fine to be chilled, frozen and reheated once.

howabout Mon 10-Aug-15 14:46:20

Fine to do what you did. Also fine to use refrigerated leftovers from a roast chicken the next day. Not fine to reheat more than once or with a significant time lag. Same for Pork too.
The issue with rice is that there is a botulism risk if it is constantly kept lukewarm for too long - eg restaurant hotplates

Kreeshsheesh Mon 10-Aug-15 14:50:16

Bacillus is the culprit
www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51

BitterChocolate Mon 10-Aug-15 14:56:47

Rice is a bit of an issue, but it's fairly cheap so it's easier to cook it fresh each time and avoid the worry IMO. However, if I did need to freeze rice for some reason I would seal it in an air-tight container while it was still boiling hot (too hot for bacteria), then chill and freeze it quickly.

I would be totally fine with feeding a baby the meal that you have frozen though, provided it was properly heated through and then allowed to cool a little rather than just heated to a baby's eating temperature and no more.

Fluffyears Mon 10-Aug-15 18:20:44

I'm confused by the rice thing, do you put it into fridge whilst still hit? I was skyways told this was a no no food hag to cool before going into fridge.

lilacblossomtime Mon 10-Aug-15 18:29:05

Fluffy spread the rice out thinly on a tray and it will cool down quickly, then put it in the fridge.

Notso Mon 10-Aug-15 19:40:14

Fluffy if I am cooking it to save I would run it under cold water in a sieve to cool, or if it's risotto I spread it on a pre-frozen baking tray and put it somewhere cold to cool.
If it's leftover rice that has been in a serving dish on the table I would chuck it as it would have been sitting at room temp for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now