Talk

Advanced search

I'm sitting reading. My book to the sound of the cleaner hoovering

(55 Posts)
MaryBerrysEyelashes Mon 10-Aug-15 12:59:10

And the waft of flash.
I've eh booked her for four hours today.

I'm on holiday. I need her when I'm at work but GOD I FEEL AWKWARD. I've been out. I've done the ironing.

I am the indolent bourgeoisie.

PurpleDaisies Mon 10-Aug-15 13:01:57

I know that feeling! My lovely cleaner is coming on Wednesday so I'm going to the gym and having a long coffee so I don't have to be here when she's cleaning. It is just a bit weird...

ScrumpyBetty Mon 10-Aug-15 13:02:30

Go for another walk and then come back, put the kettle on and have a cuppa with your cleaner!

MaryBerrysEyelashes Mon 10-Aug-15 13:03:38

Thing is. I've got a son here. He's reluctant to move from house season twenty trillion

flamingoland Mon 10-Aug-15 13:04:07

Can't you cancel her when you are holiday? Or go out? It would feel like a huge waste of money to me (but then I quite like cleaning) blush

MaryBerrysEyelashes Mon 10-Aug-15 13:09:20

I've only just restarted after the other one left to have a baby.

I did 6 months solo * distant look to horizon *.

eeyore2 Mon 10-Aug-15 13:14:51

I think it would be mean cancel her when you are on holiday - she is presumably relying on your regular payments.

PurpleDaisies Mon 10-Aug-15 13:16:50

Agree with eeyore, and I wouldn't want to spend four hours of my holiday cleaning.

LindyHemming Mon 10-Aug-15 13:16:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Katinkka Mon 10-Aug-15 13:17:24

My cleaner has gone back to Russia for the holidays. My house is already unfit for habitation. I know what you mean though. I have to go out when she's here. Soo awkward.

Jojoanna Mon 10-Aug-15 13:59:29

I'm lying on the sofa watching TV while the cleaner is vacuuming . In my defence I'm recovering from an op but it feels weird.

thornrose Mon 10-Aug-15 14:02:15

Blimey, it's bad enough being in when workmen are around. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable your scenario would make me feel.

I'd hide in my bedroom I think.

BlueBananas Mon 10-Aug-15 14:04:28

Ooo send her round here instead if you like, I wouldn't feel awkward atall having a brew and watching someone else clean grin

NoMontagues Mon 10-Aug-15 14:04:40

I know how you feel. I work from home and have a babysitter come in for 2.5 hours every morning to look after DS.

Except I've finished up my last project and my next one hasn't really started yet so today I was just faffing around.

I did clean the oven door when they went for a walk though. So that's something.

wotoodoo Mon 10-Aug-15 14:07:25

I am mumsnetting while the window cleaner, cleaner and gardener are all at work. Just done a 500 hr working week, have commissions still do get on with but am not feeling too awkward as it's my hard earned earnings that are paying for them all!

plummyjam Mon 10-Aug-15 14:07:54

I regularly stop in when my cleaner comes round. We have a good chat and I enjoy the company. No guilt here - I am paying her after all!

OhGood Mon 10-Aug-15 14:08:48

God you're so lucky. I'm cleaning while my cleaner reads a book on the beach in Italy.

Morgan Mon 10-Aug-15 14:10:17

I am making my DD get dressed so we can go out when the cleaners arrive. Need to be out for at least an hour while they do downstairs smile normally at work when they come but I don't work in the school hols .

lilacblossomtime Mon 10-Aug-15 14:12:11

Channel Lady Mary and enjoy your book.

kandykat Mon 10-Aug-15 14:15:01

you lucky sod!

I am considering this

TiffanyTwisted Mon 10-Aug-15 14:15:38

I pretend to be doing important paperwork in other rooms.

howabout Mon 10-Aug-15 14:19:02

I am MNing while my teenagers clean their room. I don't have a cleaner as I don't think I would cope very well with the feeling of having my private space invaded.

MrsDeVere Mon 10-Aug-15 14:19:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DinosaursRoar Mon 10-Aug-15 14:19:42

Next week, collect up DS and arrange a day out on her day. Really, it's the only way to cope.

If she's used to being able to just get on with her work in an empty house, she's probably uncomfortable having you there too - best for everyone if you find somewhere else to be. Surely a Monday could be a grandparent visiting day?

wigglesrock Mon 10-Aug-15 14:22:56

When I had was cleaning it never bothered me if someone was in when I was working - as long as they didn't keep me back. I sat on my arse and read when I had plumbers in my house, didn't occur to me to feel guilty/awkward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now