Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder if that was a panic attack..?

(11 Posts)
UngratefulMoo Mon 10-Aug-15 10:20:09

I don't work on Mondays, but have a demanding job the rest of the time, with quite a bit of responsibility. I've just got back from taking the cat to the vet with 2yo DD in tow. Got in and discovered I had missed a call from my boss about a project which hasn't been going that well. Answerphone when I called him back. All normal, except when I put the phone down I just experienced a huge wave of dizziness and feeling sick and have had to come and sit down with a glass of water. DD, fortunately, is playing quietly with her toys (miracle). I am starting to feel better (15 mins later), although still anxious about getting a phone call from my boss on my day off.
Does that sound like a panic attack, or am I overreacting?

Charis1 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:21:47

doesn't sound like a panic attack to me, but i am no expert. Sound more like a virus or something.

TenForward82 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:22:29

It could have been, alternatively you could have just had a drop in your blood sugar. It sounds more like a pending faint than a heart-thumping panic attack. Were you standing up?

Source: I suffer from PAs.

laffymeal Mon 10-Aug-15 10:25:36

I don't think so, I suffered from them in the past and a fully blown one was accompanied by sobbing uncontrollably and hyperventilating. You just got a bit freaked out by your boss ringing on your day off which is perfectly natural. Don't give it any more thought.

UngratefulMoo Mon 10-Aug-15 10:27:23

Ok, thank you. It just freaked me out a bit with the overwhelming dizziness and sick feeling (and I was feeling anxious). I will get over myself.

CoogerAndDark Mon 10-Aug-15 10:30:43

Adrenaline rush? I have had that when something goes wrong.

I'd see your GP for a general check up, blood pressure etc, when you can" not as an emergency, just to reassure you or pick up on anything.

Redshoes55 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:30:46

Sounds horrible op but not a panic attack.

Panic attacks usually come out of the blue and you feel a huge wave of fear and impending doom with hyperventilating, often diarrhoea and shaking/feeling faint/panicky.

Redshoes55 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:31:42

Just a little aside op, pregnant?

UngratefulMoo Mon 10-Aug-15 10:41:10

I don't think so, Redshoe, but actually that is possible - hadn't even crossed my mind! I suppose that's the first thing to check.

yorkshapudding Mon 10-Aug-15 11:37:56

Although it may not have been a panic attack as such, it could still have been due to anxiety. It is very common to experience nausea and dizziness when feeling anxious.

WitchofScots Mon 10-Aug-15 12:33:31

It sounds more like anxiety than a panic attack, it doesn't make it any less horrible though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now