Talk

Advanced search

To not want DC to use Nan/Nana

(295 Posts)
treehousepicture Mon 10-Aug-15 09:52:35

I have just never liked this word and think I prefer grandma or similar but is it up to the person what they are called?

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 10-Aug-15 09:54:55

What if they don't want to be called Grandma/Granny?

Salmotrutta Mon 10-Aug-15 09:55:18

Well, I'm a grandparent and I decided what I wanted to be called.

After all, I'm the one who has to be called it.

It's no different to asking people to call/not call you by a shortened form of your first name or whatever - in my opinion anyway.

x2boys Mon 10-Aug-15 09:56:04

my mum wanted grandma so thats what her grandchildren call her personal preferance i suppose

Bettercallsaul1 Mon 10-Aug-15 09:56:34

I sympathise with this, OP, as I have never liked these terms for grandparents either. However, I would stand by the principle that it is the person herself who should choose the name they are called, so if a grandparent has asked to be called Nan/Nana, I would accept it.

Esmum07 Mon 10-Aug-15 09:56:49

My mum is Nan or Nannie to our DS. My MIL preferred Gran or Granny. Easy to differentiate too!

starlight2007 Mon 10-Aug-15 09:57:07

yes I do think it is up to the person what they are called.

Imagine been called a name that made you cringe.

HighwayDragon Mon 10-Aug-15 09:57:17

My mum would go mental if she was grandma, and in her late 40s I don't blame her!

StitchingMoss Mon 10-Aug-15 09:57:53

My DM is nana, I love it. Much less formal and stuffy sounding than grandma. MIL is grandma - suits her to a tee wink.

Euphemia Mon 10-Aug-15 09:58:10

It's up to the person. There are different conventions in different families. MIL likes Grandma, whereas no-one in my family was ever Grandma - my mum would think that was pretentious. grin

My mum would also think Nan was common. hmm

Best let the person be called what they want! In the end my mum is Gran, as Granny makes her feel old! grin

Fishwives Mon 10-Aug-15 09:58:42

Grandparent gets to have preference, but in my experience, the child decides as soon as s/he becomes verbal. My son, now three, having had us always refer to Granny X and Grandpa Y, now calls all four grandparents by their first names.

I agree Nan and Nana are awful, but it wouldn't have been my call.

ButterflyUpSoHigh Mon 10-Aug-15 09:58:47

I am the opposite and don't like Grandma/Granny they sound so old fashioned. Always Nanny/Nan here and we have Great Nan too.

lilacblossomtime Mon 10-Aug-15 09:58:50

I think it's up to the person, but you could tell them nicely that you would prefer they chose something else.

BertrandRussell Mon 10-Aug-15 09:58:53

Upto the person being called it to choose.

EmeraldKitten Mon 10-Aug-15 09:59:17

Yes I think it's up to the person. Mine and Dh's parents/step parent all chose what to be called.

Thankfully they were all different - we have a Nanna, Nain, Granny, Bampa and Grandad. I think there would need to be a bit of negotiation sometimes though because 3 Nanna's would have been a pain!

TenForward82 Mon 10-Aug-15 09:59:29

What bettercallsaul1 said

BertrandRussell Mon 10-Aug-15 09:59:49

"I think it's up to the person, but you could tell them nicely that you would prefer they chose something else."

So not up to the person at all then!

ollieplimsoles Mon 10-Aug-15 10:00:15

My mil told us she wanted to be called grandma because she thought nanna sounded 'common'.

But she's a massive snob (her own mother is 'nanna'!)

CaptainHolt Mon 10-Aug-15 10:00:47

I hate Nan and if any future dgcs or their parents tried to make be be called it I would tell them to do one. Def up to the person being called it, unless they start insist on being called 'Mummy' or 'Fanjo' or something.

TheOriginalWinkly Mon 10-Aug-15 10:01:34

Up to them. MIL and FIL are Nana and Gramps, which make me cringe but DD's cousins call them that, so that's who they are.

Kewcumber Mon 10-Aug-15 10:01:57

Grandparent decides in my experience though children can sometimes bend it to their will - my grandparents were Grammer and Grumpa!

I decided for my Dad in his absence so he was stuck with it, but I assume you wouldn't prefer an absent grandparent who doesnt see their grandchildren?

LokiBear Mon 10-Aug-15 10:02:04

My mil was obsessed with this. To the point of irritation. She insisted on knowing what my mum was going to be called because she was Grandma. I told her that my mum would be called whatever she wanted, which irked her because she wanted to be the only 'Grandma' hmm. In the end my mum chose Nanny, so it was fine. Just seems a daft thing to get worked up about. I call my own grandma by her first name and always have.

Heels99 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:02:29

No way would I agree to nan or nana. Awful!

LazyLouLou Mon 10-Aug-15 10:02:32

We had Nanas and Granddads

Nana Xsurname and Nana Ysurname, never caused us any trouble.

I doubt a young Nana would like to be Grandma. In our family my grandma was my Nana's mum...

TittyBiskwits Mon 10-Aug-15 10:03:20

I loathe Nana. Absolutely bloody hate it. Of course, my mil decided that's what she wanted to be called.

I had to suck it up. But I still can't stand it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now