Talk

Advanced search

sugar sandwiches are a fine after meal treat

(238 Posts)
hejhej Mon 10-Aug-15 08:35:02

A few times I've mentioned having sugar sandwiches after a (healthy) meal people look at me a bit strange. One even gasped.

I can't be the only one doing this right?

KinkyAfro Mon 10-Aug-15 08:35:50

I think you probably are the only one

Pagwatch Mon 10-Aug-15 08:37:11

Yes, just you.

SwingingBalls Mon 10-Aug-15 08:37:22

Takes me back to my childhood. Thick crust of white bread with butter and sugar. Couldn't imagine eating it now though.

DarylDixonsDarlin Mon 10-Aug-15 08:37:24

Ugh why would you do that? Does your meal not fill you up enough? What's wrong with fruit ffs?

Only1scoop Mon 10-Aug-15 08:37:39

confused

LooseSeal Mon 10-Aug-15 08:37:44

Sounds absolutely disgusting to me, but I can't imagine it's any worse for you than a slice of cake or a bowl of ice cream.

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Mon 10-Aug-15 08:38:43

My mum used to talk about doing this as she had enjoyed them but luckily we never experienced it. She's over 80.

I don't know but I think it might be a very, very old fashioned treat.

vestandknickers Mon 10-Aug-15 08:38:49

Yuck.

Yes, you're the only one!

msgrinch Mon 10-Aug-15 08:38:57

Just no.

Coconutty Mon 10-Aug-15 08:39:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NeuNewNouveau Mon 10-Aug-15 08:40:31

I am a sweet sugar fiend but sugar sandwiches shockhmm?! Just no.

Snozberry Mon 10-Aug-15 08:40:34

It sounds disgusting but there is obviously sugar in cake, biscuits, flavoured yogurts and so on and most people don't think twice about serving those, gasping is a bit of an over reaction.

LooseSeal Mon 10-Aug-15 08:41:41

My grandad used to like strawberries, sugar, cream and white bread all mashed up together. I think it was an old fashioned way of making strawberries stretch further.

hejhej Mon 10-Aug-15 08:41:47

Oh blush I'm not that old.

Its not disgusting, it's exactly the same main ingredients as a cake with butter frosting, just reverse engineered. Its prob healthier than many other treats as you don't go crazy on the sugar.

trollkonor Mon 10-Aug-15 08:42:06

I spent 6 months in the Netherlands in my early 20s and lots my Dutch friends put sugar on bread.

rememberremember Mon 10-Aug-15 08:42:42

My DPeats them occasionally as a treat - I had one once and it was yum!
Not quite sure why there is horror at the idea! Lots of people have way more sugar on their porridge than you would get in a sugar sandwich.
My mum is always horrified if she catches me having a sneaky teaspoonful of sugar when making a round of teas and coffees at their house - they have Demerara sugar and it is delicious! Yet no one bats an eyelid to my DF and DP who both have two sugars in their tea.

loveareadingthanks Mon 10-Aug-15 08:42:42

It's an oldfashioned thing, but it's a thing. My mum used to make them for us. Quite nice in a sweet and crunchy way, but don't think I'd eat one now. Most people would probably think it a bit strange.

I did ask my mum once why on earth she gave them to us and she said that at the time mums were told they were good for giving kids energy.

StealthPolarBear Mon 10-Aug-15 08:43:10

There's also a lot of sugar in bread!
Not for me op but I don't get the outrage. I'd rather have that than something like a pavlova

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 10-Aug-15 08:43:14

Never heard of it myself, it doesn't sound appealing.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 10-Aug-15 08:43:54

Fine if you like it, I don't have a sweet tooth but believe all/any foods are ok in moderation.

ShelaghTurner Mon 10-Aug-15 08:43:59

I can't think of any circumstances when I would let my children have this. And I'm no slouch where crap food is concerned! Just...it must taste horrible. It may have the same sort of ingredients as cake but cake tastes nice.

mrsdavidbowie Mon 10-Aug-15 08:44:08

It's very old-fashioned...I had them in the sixties in the North for tea

Salmotrutta Mon 10-Aug-15 08:45:22

I've heard of it years ago but never eaten one.

Poor OP - it's a bit like that time Cilla Black said in an interview that one of her favourite pleasure was an oxo cube crumbled onto half an orange!

Now that sounds weird. grin

HemanOrSheRa Mon 10-Aug-15 08:45:51

I work with older people and they often tell me stories about how they ate sugar sandwiches! It was a cheap way of filling up, apparently. My Mum used to give us a slice of bread with warm milk poured over, sprinkled with sugar, if we were feeling a bit under the weather.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now