We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Absolutely fuming- nappy in my garden

(37 Posts)
WildImaginings Sun 09-Aug-15 20:06:14

I've just bought my first house.
The new house is 4 streets away from where I'm currently living (with parents) so I know the area pretty well. It's not considered a particularly 'nice' area, but I was born in this town and I love it.
I don't know anyone on the street personally as such, but recognise a few faces from the town centre.
I'm extremely lucky to have family who have been helping me out, and I've been there most nights after work helping out as much as I can (not particularly good with DIY!)
The garden (this is important) is quite long, but most of the end is taken up by a large old garage. Along the bottom of the garden there is a lane, with secure alley gates. To get to the back gate you have to walk down a path alongside the shed. So the patio part of the garden is in front of the garage, and quite far away from the lane.
I went out into the garden tonight to be faced by a bloody shitty nappy in a nappy bag on the patio. My puppy (who has never been to the house before) was immediately on it, trying to rip it open. This has clearly been thrown over the wall- and because of where it was situated, it's very likely to have come from the neighbours garden. I don't know if they have children, so I'm aware it's entirely likely that a visitor with a baby could have done this without their knowledge. It was too far away from the lane to have been thrown, and the lady on the side is very elderly and doesn't have many visitors (had a lovely chat with her over the wall last week).
I don't have a bin, as I've not moved in- just recycling. So I had to carry it, 4 streets to my Mums to dispose of it.
I'm obviously not going to say anything to the neighbours or anyone, I'm just bloody disgusted and needed to vent. I don't have children. I love children, and have changed many a nappy but it doesn't mean I'm happy to pick one up from my fucking garden. Even if I did have children, it wouldn't have been my responsibility to get rid of someone else's nappy!
I know this sounds so trivial, but I've been feeling really positive about moving in, and have saved extremely hard, in a low paying job in order to be able to afford a deposit for a house. I have been very down lately with various issues in work and in my personal life, and I'm so pissed off that I've let something this stupid get me so upset when I was feeling so positive.
Why are some people so foul?!

Totality22 Sun 09-Aug-15 20:09:44

This is just a one off right?

YABU and a bit OTT i'm afraid!

LittleMissLady Sun 09-Aug-15 20:11:34

Congratulations on the house purchase!

The nappy is a bit rank but at least it was wrapped up in a bag! Not open and splattered poo everywhere!!
You'll get over it.

BestZebbie Sun 09-Aug-15 20:13:42

YANBU - you finally achieved a huge thing and someone literally shat on it.
But hopefully this will turn into an anecdote in years to come rather than being a symbol of your future life there.

Hygellig Sun 09-Aug-15 20:17:20

I would be extremely annoyed as well, and feel like it had put a damper on moving, even if it's fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things. Why people cannot just put stuff in the bin I don't know.
Hopefully it won't happen again.

FuzzyWizard Sun 09-Aug-15 20:22:54

We sometimes get this. It always looks like it's come over the fence but I know because none of our immediate neighbours have young kids and I've seen the buggers do it that actually it's foxes. The ones we get seem to have an obsession with raiding nappy bags from bins and depositing them in the space round the side of our shed and in a corner of another neighbours front garden. Do you live in the outer reaches of North London by any chance? I don't know if it's just our foxes or a general fox problem.

FirstWeTakeManhattan Sun 09-Aug-15 20:26:04

Well, hope it doesn't happen again, OP. I agree, could easily be a fox.

WildImaginings Sun 09-Aug-15 20:26:54

As I said, I know that this sounds trivial but it has made me feel quite literally, like shit. I seriously hope it's a one off, but that's the problem- I don't know that it is. I have only just bought the house, got the keys etc. so I don't know what's been going on. I have been suffering with anxiety lately, and I know that I'm now going to be overthinking this all week- what are the neighbours like, etc. If I hadn't been out there with the puppy then it would have been splattered everywhere, but thankfully I was.
I know I'm probably overreacting because of other personal issues, but having to carry a nappy through the street just made me want to cry.

WildImaginings Sun 09-Aug-15 20:29:45

Fuzzywizard and Firstwetakemanhattan, I hadn't even thought of foxes! I live in South Wales, but foxes aren't unheard of around here, so a fox could be the culprit if they managed to get into the garden. Thank you smile

scatterthenuns Sun 09-Aug-15 20:30:49

yabu! You don't know how it got there - to assume someone chucked it is daft!

ninetynineonehundred Sun 09-Aug-15 20:33:41

Foxes gets my vote too.
We get this in our garden and I know for a fact they're not coming from the neighbours.
Congratulations on your new home .I hope you'll be really happy there

Thymeout Sun 09-Aug-15 20:36:02

MUCH more likely to be foxes than a neighbour. This is a common problem where I live since they stopped weekly collections of general waste.

MoralityPlay Sun 09-Aug-15 20:37:53

Fingers crossed that it's foxes.

Congrats on the new house.

WildImaginings Sun 09-Aug-15 20:39:08

Because of the layout in the garden, and where it was, it really did/does look like it is likely to have come from next door. But foxes are making me feel far less anxious about moving/neighbours, so I'm going to choose to hope/believe that (not that I hope for foxes).
Thank you all for being kind in the face of my ridiculousness!

yorkshapudding Sun 09-Aug-15 20:39:36

YANBU. You have worked hard to buy this house, you're excited about moving in and one of your new neighbours leaves you a bag of shit as a welcome present. I would be pissed off and disappointed too.

Totality22 Sun 09-Aug-15 20:46:25

God I'd forgotten about foxes!!! Used to go out in bin day and DS's shitty nappies would be all over the road!!! Foxes would ignore everyone else rubbish you have to leave bags out night before as binmen won't go in cupboards but absolutely go to town on my bags.

Got to the stage I'd set alarms early on bin day as opposed to leave bags out overnight.

catlass Sun 09-Aug-15 20:47:16

Could be worse...our old neighbours threw a used condom into our garden once bleurghhhhh.

Congratulations on your new house.

Silvercatowner Sun 09-Aug-15 20:50:21

When I moved into a new house there was a carrier bag with a dead cat in it in the garden. A nappy would have been infinitely preferable.

Szeli Sun 09-Aug-15 20:51:02

i certainly don't throw ds' nappies down the street but they end up there regularly. cats + overfull bins = nappygeddon

HarrietVane99 Sun 09-Aug-15 20:53:20

I was going to say foxes too. I've found things in my garden that I know could only have got there that way. We can't put bin bags out the night before or they get ripped to shreds. There's one bugger that currently seems determined to dig its way to Australia via my flower bed.

Hope you enjoy your new home.

SirChenjin Sun 09-Aug-15 20:57:47

I'd second what others have said - it could very easily be a fox. If it was a neighbour, it could have been because they thought the house was empty and decided to lob it - but I would be doubtful. Surely, if that was their thing, there would be loads of nappies in your garden by now?

Try not to let it get to you - just be excited that you've got your own place and enjoy it smile. I remember before we moved in to our house (it was a new build) the local youths had taken to breaking the windows and egging the houses as they were being built (and this is a 'naice' area...). I was devastated - felt that it was personal, and all that we'd worked for was being trashed. As soon as we all moved in it stopped - whoever was doing it wasn't brave enough to get caught.

Bejeena Sun 09-Aug-15 20:57:48

You have absolutely no way of knowing how it got there, having a two year old myself I could quite easily imagine the scene, I change a nappy whilst out but nowhere to dispose of it so pop it in bottom of pushchair in nappy bag come home and get pushchair into garden bit have to see to said two year old perhaps hungry or in need of nap so leave pushchair in garden and totally forget about nappy. Later on toddler playing in garden and before I even get a chance to see has whipped same nappy out of pushchair and flung it over the wall. I dunno I might be pessimistic but my 2 year old is totally capable of this. Of course I am not justifying, just explaining I would be totally mortified.

Yab at bit U to go so berserk after one nappy

thecatsarecrazy Sun 09-Aug-15 21:15:30

I once went out to put some recycling out and found a bag of dog shit in the box. I was fuming.

WildImaginings Sun 09-Aug-15 21:28:46

Oh God silvercatowner. Yes, a nappy is definitely not as bad as a dead cat shock and not as bad as some of what others have described. It was a tiny newborn nappy, so definitely not a toddler throwing it.
If it was the neighbours (I hope not) then I'm just hoping maybe it was a one off visitor with new baby? But probably a fox smile
Thank you everyone, I'm looking forward to everything being finished and being able to have a vodka cup of tea in my own living room grin

Peacheykeen Sun 09-Aug-15 21:30:10

Yep foxes used to drag dds shitty nappies all around the back yard at my old house. Congratulations on buying your house

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now