Talk

Advanced search

To have no idea what to wear?

(12 Posts)
BeatendownGF Sun 09-Aug-15 18:42:50

Short back story - I'm very newly single and am going for a day/night out in York next week with a friend.

I have looked through my wardrobe and realised I have nothing to wear that would be suitable. I've got my work clothes and then I've got my casual clothes and almost nothing in between.

I have booked into the hairdressers for a change of style but I have been out of the 'going out scene' for far too long so I have no idea what I should be wearing.

Can anyone help me - I don't want people to laugh at me.

If it helps I am tall and a size 16. I am in my early 30s.

Help! smile

TenForward82 Sun 09-Aug-15 18:44:18

Casual dress 'dressed up' with jewellery and heels?

Iggi999 Sun 09-Aug-15 18:46:00

Repost in style and beauty? The stylish women there have kitted me out in the past!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 09-Aug-15 18:47:00

What sort of "going out" do you anticipate?

OwlinaTree Sun 09-Aug-15 18:47:42

Book one of those personal shopper services at debenhams or similar? It might help posters if you give an approximate price range. Have you tried posting in the fashion section? I hope you have a lovely time, York

BeatendownGF Sun 09-Aug-15 18:49:10

Testing - the plan is a meal and a few drinks.

The problem I have is that I hate feeling over dressed but also want to feel confident.

Iggi - I will take your advice and have a look in the Style section.

Thanks!

OwlinaTree Sun 09-Aug-15 18:50:43

Is fab!

Iggi999 Sun 09-Aug-15 18:54:00

AND consider a username make-over, as you are a down trodden gf no more! "Upwardlymobileriotgirl" perhaps? grin

cranberryx Mon 10-Aug-15 21:57:45

My favourite one is a nice floaty black top, skinny jeans, high heels and a statement necklace - that way in jeans you don't feel so 'dressed up' and self conscious but you look nice and presentable ��

Have fun on your night out! You'll have a lovely time!

Bleakhouse1879 Mon 10-Aug-15 22:02:14

Bleak is here to GokWan yo ass lady. Net curtain, pop socks, hi-viz jacket (orange, from the railways) cardigan with egg stain down the front are very 'in' this season especially in York. Shell Suit jacket and a lampshade on your head. Go girl, work it! own it!

RuddyHellItsSoftCell Mon 10-Aug-15 22:12:21

If it helps, unless you're on a hen do or at the races, going out dressing in York is a pretty casual affair usually. Do you know where you're going/what you're doing?

RuddyHellItsSoftCell Mon 10-Aug-15 22:14:10

Yeah I'd say jeans, a nice top and cardigan and shoes maybe with a low-ish heel/wedge as there's loads of different good places to walk between.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now