Talk

Advanced search

To think the free books on Kindle Unlimited are a bit shit?

(79 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Sun 09-Aug-15 17:24:00

Lots of horror, crime (usually against women and children), bonk busters, chic shit or stories of tortured childhoods.

But nothing much I really want to read, despite the fact I love love reading and can get through 3books a day. It seems I'm paying 7:99 a month for dross. Is this right?

Theycallmemellowjello Sun 09-Aug-15 17:25:43

Yep pretty much. You can get out of copyright classics for free or cheap through the kindle store without paying a subscription.

MistyBells Sun 09-Aug-15 17:27:46

Ah yes I agree. We managed to make use of it for a couple of months but going to end our subscription now as genuinely think I have read everything on there I want to! I'm slso unsure when it is usually updated?

Orangeanddemons Sun 09-Aug-15 17:31:38

And, wtf are the Stepbrother books? Just some pervy stuff, or actual stories?

I thought I was going to get free books from the likes of Joanne Harris, Alison Wier or other top authors, not this shit

carelesswhisper87 Sun 09-Aug-15 17:35:45

Yep - the only decent things on there are the Hunger Games trilogy and the Harry Potter books. I got rid of it after I realised most their books are the 99p drivel ones on the main Amazon site!

Orangeanddemons Sun 09-Aug-15 17:38:44

I can get better books from a second hand shop for a quid each. I think Amazon are onto a rip off hereconfused

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sun 09-Aug-15 17:40:20

I'm going to end my free trial
As can't find anything I like and I read chick lit rubbish blush

saveforthat Sun 09-Aug-15 17:41:22

I agree and am now trialling kindle unlimited which is much better. Does anyone know how to cancel the free books because I am sure I sent them an email to cancel and it hasn't stopped.

PGTip Sun 09-Aug-15 17:45:58

Try bookhippo & bookbub for free or very cheap books, I've downloaded loads of excellent ones

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sun 09-Aug-15 17:49:39

You can get free books that you might not want to read here
Book Bub

FluffyMcCloud Sun 09-Aug-15 17:49:55

I have just downloaded the Wayward Pines books which I amlooking forward tom reading on kindle unlimited

stripytees Sun 09-Aug-15 17:50:28

I only kept my subscription for 3 months (first month was free) for the same reason. It's mostly unknown authors who have self published on Amazon for Kindle only I think.

Orangeanddemons Sun 09-Aug-15 17:53:50

But why is it £7:99?

Esmeismyhero Sun 09-Aug-15 17:54:45

Ha I just cancelled my free subscription today! It was bloody wank on there confused

weeblueberry Sun 09-Aug-15 17:55:42

Was coming on to recommend bookbub. It's an excellent way to find books in the genres you like for cheap or free. smile

measles64 Sun 09-Aug-15 17:56:21

Thanks for this was debating joining, now I shall not. When something looks to good to be true, it usually is wink

SweepTheHalls Sun 09-Aug-15 17:58:21

I really enjoyed the Paper Magician trilogy

WitchofScots Sun 09-Aug-15 18:01:43

I've found a lot of good books on there, I go through my wish list and find several that are on KU from my wishlist.

HarrietVane99 Sun 09-Aug-15 18:24:00

I'm an unknown author who publishes on Kindle. My books are available through KU. They may or may not be dross, shit, drivel or rubbish. Obviously I think they're not, others may disagree. I don't write horror, bonk busters, chick shit or misery memoirs. I do write crime which sometimes involves some violence towards women, but not, I think and hope, gratuitous or excessive violence; it happens because the female protagonist is trying to solve the crime and stop the criminal.

Amazon don't update the KU selection; new books are added as and when authors/publishers decide to add them. But you're unlikely to find big name authors there because of Amazon's terms and conditions for participating.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sun 09-Aug-15 19:48:06

You can also borrow ebooks and audiobooks from your library, you need a library card and the overdrive app on your device. smile

Ceasre Sun 09-Aug-15 20:00:17

I have read a lot of free books by Mark Edwards. They are thrillers I guess but I enjoyed them.

iklboo Sun 09-Aug-15 20:04:09

Fluffy - I'm on book two of Wayward Pines. I'm enjoying them.

ImperialBlether Sun 09-Aug-15 20:06:21

Ahem! Mine are free on Kindle Unlimited! Wash your mouth out!

ImperialBlether Sun 09-Aug-15 20:07:22

And look up Fiona Jane Collins - she's on here, too and would come on but she's on her holidays. Very funny books.

ImperialBlether Sun 09-Aug-15 20:08:39

And look at this fantastic book Changed Souls by Harriet Truscott - it's yet another Mumsnetter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now