Talk

Advanced search

To just move out

(24 Posts)
Changebagsandgladrags Sun 09-Aug-15 15:46:10

H will not or cannot clean or tidy.

He works FT I work PT but my commute is much longer.

I wouldn't mind if I had to run the hoover over the place and clean the floors, dusting etc etc. But:

Clearing up and binning 1001 used earplugs (his)
Wiping the shit (his) off the loo
Collecting pants and socks for washing
Etc
Etc
Etc

He cannot bloody throw anything away. Is fecking shite at getting anything done. The shed is full of crap (his). Can't even get the mower out so the grass is knee height.

AIBU just to move the fuck out?

FenellaFellorick Sun 09-Aug-15 15:50:45

He sounds like a pig.

Do you mean actually leave him for good, or go to a hotel for the weekend as a protest hoping he cares, or are you just having a rant to make yourself feel better?

I'm not good at judging tone grin

NickiFury Sun 09-Aug-15 15:52:31

If you're in a position to, no kids, finances allow, yes too right!

Changebagsandgladrags Sun 09-Aug-15 15:54:16

I don't know.

No point in going to a hotel for the weekend as the place would be worse when I got back.

ilovechristmas1 Sun 09-Aug-15 15:54:30

bloody hell he sounds awful to live with

of course he can do those things but while you do it for him he dosent have to,simple

grow a bloomin back bone and make a stand

Changebagsandgladrags Sun 09-Aug-15 15:55:34

Kids

OK take or leave?

Sigh

Changebagsandgladrags Sun 09-Aug-15 15:57:56

Ah well see, now he 'can't' due to bad back. You know earplugs and shit shifting might do permanent damage.

Spartans Sun 09-Aug-15 15:58:03

You have kids?

Presuming it's your house too and you will be the rp, you should speak to him about him leaving.

What are finances like if you leave

FenellaFellorick Sun 09-Aug-15 15:58:25

Are you saying that you actually do want to leave him?
If so, then I'd say take the children. If the home environment is so awful that you want to leave, it wouldn't be right to leave them in it.

Sazzle41 Sun 09-Aug-15 19:51:58

Well what happens when he doesnt do stuff? Nothing means he carries on. Time to set some new ground rules with consequences that take place if they arent me.

ImperialBlether Sun 09-Aug-15 19:54:44

I can't tell with these threads whether the OP is sounding off but will stay, knowing things will stay the same, or whether she wants advice on leaving. Sorry, OP - it sounds fucking horrible. I wouldn't clean the toilet after anyone but a child or disabled adult.

ImperialBlether Sun 09-Aug-15 19:55:38

And his bad back does not make him disabled. Put a £10 on the floor - if he picks it up, he's capable of cleaning the toilet.

OwlinaTree Sun 09-Aug-15 20:01:10

Love that advice imperial!

suzanneyeswecan Sun 09-Aug-15 20:02:20

the slob almost always has the most power in these conflicts, as far as I can tell these scenario's are just intractable sad

treesntrees Sun 09-Aug-15 20:24:42

I think I would just put everything in the bin including the valuable things then when he asks where they are say as they were on the floor you thought they were rubbish.

Changebagsandgladrags Sun 09-Aug-15 21:22:25

Thanks all. I thought I was imagining it.

So today I stood over him while he sorted out his personal pigsty (wardrobe). I'd lost a pair of swimming trunks and was sure they were in there. Piles of dirty stinking pyjama bottoms. FFS.

He now has 3 bags of shite to go through. It's sitting right next to him but he's huffing and puffing and moaning about his back.

I tell you if the shite is still there on bin day...

I it reasonable to divorce on grounds of being a slob?

suzanneyeswecan Sun 09-Aug-15 21:26:10

So today I stood over him while he sorted out his personal pigsty

problem is that you end up having to supervise and organise him, so what ever happens you end up doing more work, it's always your burden

Changebagsandgladrags Sun 09-Aug-15 21:34:16

Oops I think I have accidentally emailed this thread to one of the posters.

Apols I didn't even know that was possible..

Pseudo341 Sun 09-Aug-15 21:37:40

Can you afford to pay a cleaner? Might solve the problem for you.

I wouldn't give up straight away, my husband's pretty messy, but then so was I when we first got together, I've just been home while he's been out working very long hours so I've got better at tidying. Despite all my best efforts I'm still a naturally very messy person so I do understand the mentality.

Have you tried telling him what to do? It could be he simply hasn't got the brain capacity left after work to make any decisions about it. Assign him a bin by the bed (I'm assuming that's where they are) especially for his ear plugs. Tell him before you throw anything out but if he doesn't sort it out then go ahead and throw things out. Try moving the washing basket, with the lid off, to the exact spot where he dumps the socks and pants. Give him specific tasks, don't ask him to tidy up tell him specifically to put a certain thing away and tell him where it goes. Also you could buy one of those toilet cleaner things with the pads that you throw away and send him off to use it whenever you notice he's left a mess. Maybe do a ruthless team effort on the shed on a weekend and chuck a load of stuff but get him to do a lot of the physical labour.

I know you shouldn't have to organize him but given that you've got kids I think it's worth trying to make things work. Also a good idea to sit down and have a proper chat with him and explain (calmly) just how much of a problem this is for you. Then give him your clear instructions as to what you want him to do about it, and keep reminding him. If you can't get him to agree to try then I guess it's time to go.

Pseudo341 Sun 09-Aug-15 21:44:27

Took me so long to type that I cross posted.

I see you've been attempting to organize him. If he complained about it then that's a big problem. If he won't recognize that his messiness is a problem then he's not going to change. It sounds like he was trying to make you feel guilty for making him do it which is really wrong. Does he understand this is getting to be a deal breaker for you?

Changebagsandgladrags Sun 09-Aug-15 22:16:54

We used to have a cleaner but I got fecked off that she'd need to spend some of her time clearing away the breakfast things (I leave before they all get up) and picking up rubbish rather than being able to clean.

suzanneyeswecan Sun 09-Aug-15 22:58:40

did the cleaners wages come out of his money wages
After all she was only needed because he wasnt doing his share

Pseudo341 Mon 10-Aug-15 07:25:54

Were you less fecked off when you had a cleaner than you are now? He's clearly never going to be perfect but if you could get it to a situation where you can live with it it might just save things.

IJustLostTheGame Mon 10-Aug-15 08:23:45

Just throw his stuff away.
If he objects, throw him away.

I had a slobby dh, until after leaving bin bags of his shit for two weeks by his bed before throwing them away.

He's nowhere as slobby now. He still moans occasionally about some of his precious tat I callously binned but he had his chance.
He also cleans the loo loads now. But I don't know where that came from.

It's your house too and you have the right not to live in a pigsty. Or with a pig for that matter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now