Talk

Advanced search

Help! Injured bird rescued from cat what can i do?

(27 Posts)
Fizzielove Sun 09-Aug-15 10:40:11

So I heard the cat outside making a commotion and went out to investigate, cat had just put her jaws round the poor little bird. I've rescued the bird and set it inside a biscuit tin with the lid off, I'm now sitting outside babysitting the bird so the cat can't get it again. It's alive but not moving, is it just stunned? What do I do with it ? I can't sit here all day!

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 09-Aug-15 10:44:05

If it doesn't recover by itself, if would probably be best to kill it tbh. There's not much else you can do. Nursing it back to health, even assuming that's possible, would be difficult if you have a cat. Don't !et it have a long and drawn out death.

bakingtins Sun 09-Aug-15 10:45:44

Your local vet will treat or euthanased wildlife for free. Give them a ring.

Fizzielove Sun 09-Aug-15 10:47:25

Should i just let the cat have it?

KnackardMum14 Sun 09-Aug-15 10:49:50

I had this happen. The bird is in shock. I put the bird in a box with a towel and after an hour he recovered and flew away.

wheresthelight Sun 09-Aug-15 10:50:10

Unfortunately it will probably die of shock after its ordeal with the cat - just make sure to bury it somewhere that cat any get to

ArmySal Sun 09-Aug-15 10:51:55

Don't give it to the cat for it to be tormented further!

jetsetlil Sun 09-Aug-15 10:52:27

Have you got a bell on your cat?
My sister has two cats and refuses to put bells on them and they are constantly catching birds, it makes me really angry, the poor birds don't stand a chance

jetsetlil Sun 09-Aug-15 10:53:12

And no, don't give it to the fucking cat ffs

CherryBonBon Sun 09-Aug-15 10:53:19

We found a bird a few months ago that had been attacked by the neighbours cat (not mine, hate them). DP took it to the vet. They didn't update us but I think it probably died. It still felt right to try and save it though..

Poor birdy sad .

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 09-Aug-15 10:56:38

Hit it over the head, or wring its neck.

Lurkedforever1 Sun 09-Aug-15 10:59:21

Unless your cat is an actual killer, then no, it will torture it. If it's upright and uninjured it's possibly just stunned and needs time to recover. Can you put it out of the tin up somewhere high enough it will feel relatively secure, like the shed roof, and then keep your cat in and sit and watch for 10 mins to make sure another cat doesn't have it?
One of mine brings home uninjured wildlife regularly, the birds usually fly off minutes after release, but if not the edge of my neighbours extension always work as recovery area with me on guard. Plus if it's just learning to fly they need the height to take off.
If it's actually injured though then you need a vet/wildlife place to do something as I'm guessing you aren't practiced in finishing stuff off.

Lollirot Sun 09-Aug-15 11:01:01

Pop a towel over the tin and put it somewhere quiet and safe away from the cat. Give it an hour or so and check to see if it's moving a bit more then. If the birds in a bad way you can give your local vet a call, they'll put it to sleep. I wouldn't bother with the RSPCA though, I've been in this situation before and when I called them they practically laughed ��

Lurkedforever1 Sun 09-Aug-15 11:02:05

Should have said your cat is not a instance killer hunting type or it would already be dead, so don't give it back.

Graciescotland Sun 09-Aug-15 11:09:11

For the person that asked about the bell on the collar my cat refuses to wear them he'll snag the collar on something to open up the safety quick release catch. He has a penchant for baby rabbit.

cariadlet Sun 09-Aug-15 11:11:07

If there is no sign of an injury, then it is probably just stunned. Keep it warm and safe, and it should be ok to fly away in a few hours. Have you got an old towel that you could put in the tin to keep the bird warm and comfortable? I phoned our local(ish) wildlife rescue service yesterday about an injured bird that I'd found. I was told to keep it warm until someone could come and pick it up.

kathryng90 Sun 09-Aug-15 11:17:22

When my cat did this I put it in a box in the shed for a couple of hours. No sign of injury. It flew away when I opened the box.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 09-Aug-15 11:17:48

Don't give it back to the cat! If its not recovering then its probably going to die. You can kill it humanely by twisting and pulling its neck, pretty much as hard as you can. I have had to do this a few times, sometimes their heads come away, but at least it is quick and painless form them sad If the bird is able to stand, give it a few hours, otherwise its not going to live i woudlnt have thought. poor thing.

echt Sun 09-Aug-15 11:50:03

Bells on cats' collars don't work. Our cat's bell just tells us she's coming when we call her in at night.

worldgonecrazy Sun 09-Aug-15 11:59:53

If there is no sign of injury, a quiet box away from you and the cat.

If there is any blood then it would be kinder to kill it straight away, either by drowning or if you know how to do it, a wrung neck. A cat's claws and saliva contain a lot of bacteria designed to weaken any prey that gets away by causing blood poisoning, so the animal will die a long and slow death if you don't kill it.

zarzu Sun 09-Aug-15 12:06:17

Take it to the vets, if they think it wont recover they will put it to sleep, they wont charge you either. I have had to do this a couple of times

Rosesareblack Sun 09-Aug-15 12:17:43

There are wildlife rescues that might take it, if you can find one locally.

Keep it in a box, covered, and quiet and give it a little bowl of water. Depending on the type of bird, it might be viable to contact a rescue. I would do that rather than a vet if you want to give it a chance of life.

www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=wildlife%20rescue

EatDessertFirst Sun 09-Aug-15 12:37:01

Keep him covered and quiet. In a few hours, it may be dead or just fly away. If its still alive, kill it humanely or take it to a vet. In my experience, you shouldn't take a cats prize away unless it brings it to you as a lovely gift. Let the cat finish it, it will suffer less and you'll save yourself a few hours of distress.

jetsetlil Sun 09-Aug-15 13:48:56

ECHT.....according to the RSPB a bell is a deterrent

londonrach Sun 09-Aug-15 13:59:44

Had this once from next door cat. Put bird is shoe box with holes in and abit of water in a small bowl in airing cupboard whilst i got ready as needed shower etc. By the time i was ready the very quiet bird had perked up abit (peeked in). Took it to the local rescue centre in shoe box. They gave me a ref number and it seemed it was released the next day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now