Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think pants are a minimum when outside?

(85 Posts)
Mindexplode Sun 09-Aug-15 08:01:37

At a large play area yesterday that has sand and water as well as climbing activities. most children in shorts and t shirts, swimming costumes or pants. one little boy (maybe 3 or 4) was in just a t shirt. He was seen to be weeing in the sand that children were playing in and climbing all over the equipment. surely from a hygiene factor he should have been wearing pants as a bare minimum. what if he had got a splinter?

AuditAngel Sun 09-Aug-15 08:05:40

If he had got a splinter his mum would have to deal with it. If he is 3 or 4 (barring special needs) then he should probably be able to not wee every where, but I wouldn't object to the lack of pants in itself

whatyouseeiswhatyouget Sun 09-Aug-15 08:10:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hellionandfriends Sun 09-Aug-15 08:12:37

I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought but then I'm used to kids playing half naked. Obviously the boy should be encouraged to wee in a bush away from the play area.

Mindexplode Sun 09-Aug-15 08:12:37

audit. it's not the lack of pants as such, its nice to be free, but the hygiene aspect. we couldn't see a adult near him to day about the week in the sand but my children noticed

Idefix Sun 09-Aug-15 08:13:13

No pants not an issue but shouldn't be weeing everywhere. Pants would not have stopped the wee.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 09-Aug-15 08:19:02

Yup. Pants are reasonable, unless it is your own garden.
What about sunburn?
Peeing in the sand is a no-no. That's just grim...

Eternalsunshines Sun 09-Aug-15 08:26:14

We had similar at a splash pad yesterday, some parents not giving a second thought to tell their kids not to pee in the water / throw sand and others who nipped it in the bud straight way. It can be very frustrating and lose fun if some parents don't watch their kids.

KoalaDownUnder Sun 09-Aug-15 08:28:55

YANBU.

There is no good reason for a child to not have underpants (or nappy) on when they're clambering over shared play equipment. It's just gross.

BertrandRussell Sun 09-Aug-15 08:32:48

How would pants have prevented the peeing?

Mindexplode Sun 09-Aug-15 08:35:04

maybe having pants on would have been a reminder to the child that he needed to go to the loo and not where he was?

WanderingTrolley1 Sun 09-Aug-15 08:35:21

Yanbu.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 09-Aug-15 08:36:36

I would expect pants, just out of decency.

WitchofScots Sun 09-Aug-15 08:55:54

YANBU. It's not the 1970s where it was common place for children to be running around the beach in their birthday suits with nobody batting an eyelid.

Eternalsunshines Sun 09-Aug-15 09:00:42

If they aren't potty trained I'd have expected a swim nappy. My daughter told me she needed the toilet so I took her, obviously accidents happen which cannot be prevented but lack of care doesn't help.

ArriettyMatilda Sun 09-Aug-15 09:03:08

Hmm I'm not to sure, I don't think I'd object to the nakedness but not sure about the weeing everywhere for a child of that age. What about children who are too young to be potty trained? I'd be inclined to put on a swim nappy, as a normal one would just swell with water and a swim suit for sun protection but of course swim nappy wouldn't hold any wee! What would be the expected in this situation?

spicyfajitas Sun 09-Aug-15 09:04:45

Maybe they aren't potty trained and didn't have a swim nappy. I'd rather a bare bum than a big, dangly, soaked through nappy

Artandco Sun 09-Aug-15 09:05:22

No pants is fine. Pants wouldn't have stopped him seeing in sand, that's an entirely different matter

littlejohnnydory Sun 09-Aug-15 09:08:35

I don't object to the nakedness but I do object to bare bottoms all over play equipment!

MrsWooster Sun 09-Aug-15 09:10:55

naked is fine but nappies until potty trained. why are people talking about 'decency' in children being naked..?

BastardGoDarkly Sun 09-Aug-15 09:15:09

We went camping at the beach last week, and all the young kids on the beach were naked, it just makes sense when theyre in and out of the sea. Nakedness on children is not indecent ffs!

But pissing in the sand is grim, and the parents should have clocked it because kids that age need watching.

WitchScot what do you mean by its not 1970 anymore?

KoalaDownUnder Sun 09-Aug-15 09:18:59

I don't object to the nakedness but I do object to bare bottoms all over play equipment!

Exactly.

Running around on a beach? Couldn't care less. It's the dragging bum and genitals on shared equipment that's gross. (Sorry for the visual, can't think of a better way to put it!)

ScoutRifle Sun 09-Aug-15 09:22:17

It must be very confusing for children who are allowed to run around naked in public up to a certain age and then are suddenly told to cover up to not only preserve public decency but to keep their private areas private.
Surely it would be better to say you can be as naked as you like at home but in public you must cover up your private areas.
No need to suddenly change that rule when they get to a certain age then, thus no confusion.

Meanandlow Sun 09-Aug-15 09:26:13

How do you know how old he was. My dd is as tall as a seven year old but hasn't started school yet

BertrandRussell Sun 09-Aug-15 09:36:14

"It must be very confusing for children who are allowed to run around naked in public up to a certain age and then are suddenly told to cover up to not only preserve public decency but to keep their private areas private."
No it isn't. It happens quite naturally. And "preserve public decency"? Really?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now