Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your recommendations?

(5 Posts)
WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sat 08-Aug-15 22:46:23

Following on from my previous question regarding allergies.
Can I ask who gives really great service? Helping more than they need to?
Who deserves a wooden spoon? Offering nothing suitable for allergy sufferers...

For me, we were visiting friends near heswall (Wirral). Passing a sandwich shop, tucked away on an industrial park. Ds loves this shop as they are cheap, tasty and the butties are ginormous.

I said we could stop for a butty, as long as dd could have something too.
I asked the lady there (self employed, boss serves you.) if she had anything wheat free. She apologised and said no, she has no call for it.
I explained about my toddler, and asked if she would make a ham salad butty for her, using the loaf I had just picked up in the supermarket. She said yes. I fetched bread. She wiped down her board and put my bread into a paper bag to avoid crumbs. Dd loved her butty from the butty shop.
Lady had a whole family order, with flapjacks all round.
Just gutted I don't know the name of this shop! It might be Molly's. I have never known. But the lady is great.

Also worth a mention is Pizza Hut.
They do good wheat free pizza, and I think most of the toppings and salad are safe for dd. always good at bringing the food book for us. In several branches.

Wooden spoon will go to sainsburys cafe. In there, dd can eat fruit at 50p a piece ( thanks, but I just bought 6 bananas for that amount, in your shop...) or half a plain baked potato. If they have any left.
The staff are helpful and pleasant enough. But their choice is rubbish!

Blondie1984 Sat 08-Aug-15 23:53:05

I find Pret very good

SeenSheen Sat 08-Aug-15 23:56:50

For your particular allergy OP or all allergies? I imagine it would be quite difficult for any establishment to offer a variety of foods for every conceivable allergy? The availability would likely be a result of supply and demand. given the prevalence of wheat in foods today I think in your position I'd always carry something suitable with me. If you'd bought the ham as well as the bread then you could have saved on the sandwich.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 09-Aug-15 00:26:49

For all allergies, or extra needs.
For generally being nice or extra helpful to customers with any extra needs.
For me, it is the willingness to share the info in the food book.
It used to be places that simply held a door open for my pram.

I know that not every food shop will sell a whole selection of wheat free cakes. But some spend a couple of minutes to check a simple flapjack is ok. Others are just rude, and won't tell you the secret ingredients in a fresh banana...

Yes, I could have shoved a slice of ham into some dry wheat free (cardboard..?) bread for dd. but for a quid, she got fresh butchers ham and some butter too.

I have never been to a pret. I will keep my eyes open for one, next time I am in a big town?

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 09-Aug-15 00:31:15

The lady in the bakery didn't have allergy safe bread.
But she went out of her way to help me.
She could have been all uptight and said none of her food was suitable for dd and refused to make a sandwich in case a crumb got in.
I am sure she would do the same for any other customer, as long as they didn't show up just as the factory over the road clocked off for lunch!

So lets give a small mention to considerate people!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now