Talk

Advanced search

To think I am a complete idiot?

(218 Posts)
pinkchoctruffle Sat 08-Aug-15 10:13:50

DH's birthday is in September and I booked a trip away for us in Cornwall for four nights.

I booked the flights and then the hotel through a website which said I could book now and pay later but I obviously didn't read the fine print very closely and the money has all gone out.

I now have NO money until Friday.

Sigh. And I know, I know, it's my fault, but ...

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sat 08-Aug-15 10:39:37

Oh dear...where are you travelling from? Could you cancel flights and drive?

pinkchoctruffle Sat 08-Aug-15 10:46:24

No, flights are booked and it would be a hideous holiday if we drove to be honest - six hours there and back and I am carsick smile

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sat 08-Aug-15 10:55:03

Do you know anyone who could sub you for the week? Anything you could sell on eBay or gumtree?

pinkchoctruffle Sat 08-Aug-15 10:58:19

No, no one sad

I am an absolute bloody FOOL!

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Sat 08-Aug-15 11:01:04

IME, hotels don't normally take payment until you have checked out. They will ask for your card details in case you are a no-show, but I don't think they can take payment if you haven't yet stayed.

Would it be worth phoning and asking? I would!

pinkchoctruffle Sat 08-Aug-15 11:02:21

I know, that was what surprised me. I have phoned and have apologetically been told it's their policy as it's such a busy time of year.

I just wish I'd checked - so cross with myself.

sadwidow28 Sat 08-Aug-15 11:03:52

Try going through every coat/trouser pocket, every hand-bag, down the back of the furniture, piggy banks etc. Another MNetter was in dire straights one Sunday without money for nappies and she and her DH found just over £13. It was enough for them to limp through to the Friday.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Sat 08-Aug-15 11:05:51

The explanation still doesn't actually make any sense, PinkTruffle Put it to them that if they were to suddenly go out of business, they will have your money and you will lose out on your holiday. Demand a refund until you have your stay. Then, and only then, will you pay them.

Have you paid by credit card? If so, you will have some extra protection.

mysteryfairy Sat 08-Aug-15 11:10:36

Friday's not that far off.

I would assume the money is not going to be refunded and look at how to get through. I think I could easily do it unless I needed fuel to get to work. I have heaps of tesco and sainsbury points as I never redeem either so could get a week's groceries with that.

What do you need to cover til Friday?

pinktrufflechoc Sat 08-Aug-15 11:11:54

Even if they refunded the money it would not go in before Friday.

I'll be ok - just can't go anywhere or do anything or see anybody. Which means DS can't either. Which means we will drive each other insane ... smile

mysteryfairy Sat 08-Aug-15 11:20:01

Invite a friend round for DS?

Do you have a gym membership so you can go swimming?

Free trips to park or library?

pinktrufflechoc Sat 08-Aug-15 11:20:50

I don't actually have any money to physically get there, is the problem smile

MyPelvicFloorTrainsItself Sat 08-Aug-15 11:21:53

Just go to the park.

pinktrufflechoc Sat 08-Aug-15 11:27:00

Thank you but DS hates the park.

smile

He's allowed to go on his own; it has little novelty.

ReginaFelangi Sat 08-Aug-15 11:29:48

The explanation still doesn't actually make any sense, PinkTruffle Put it to them that if they were to suddenly go out of business, they will have your money and you will lose out on your holiday. Demand a refund until you have your stay. Then, and only then, will you pay them.

The OP would have agreed to the website's terms and conditions without reading them which said they were going to do this.

Have you paid by credit card? If so, you will have some extra protection.

This is absolutely not true. The website have done nothing wrong.

pinktrufflechoc Sat 08-Aug-15 11:30:33

Regina, to be fair, this is why I have said I am the idiot! Just feel like a twat.

WorraLiberty Sat 08-Aug-15 11:30:52

Have you got no spending money put by that you can dip into?

pinktrufflechoc Sat 08-Aug-15 11:31:30

No, it's all in my bank account. Which has now been wiped out. sad

WorraLiberty Sat 08-Aug-15 11:32:49

Ask for a temporary overdraft?

WitchofScots Sat 08-Aug-15 11:37:04

If you've booked the flights then what money do you need to get there?
If you pay on a website and give your card details then surely it's obvious they are going to take the money straight away?

pinktrufflechoc Sat 08-Aug-15 11:37:12

I can't; it's already overdrawn blush

pinktrufflechoc Sat 08-Aug-15 11:38:02

It wasn't obvious - well, it would have been I'm sure if I looked at the small print, and I realise I should have, I know.

But usually the website is 'book now pay later'.

WitchofScots Sat 08-Aug-15 11:42:30

If you are already overdrawn then why are you booking holidays away that you can't afford? confused

sadwidow28 Sat 08-Aug-15 11:45:46

See if there are any ideas for FREE Summer activities here that you could do with DS next week:

www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/fun-for-free-this-summer-hols/0037174/

You haven't said how old DS is but would making Giant Bubbles take up half a day or so?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vBN1k3Si4Y

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now