Talk

Advanced search

to be really peed off with work, broken thumb.

(14 Posts)
Altinkum Fri 07-Aug-15 14:31:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

youngestisapyscho Fri 07-Aug-15 14:34:26

If I had passed out at work, I would have gone home. Why did you stay and work till past midnight?

Madlizzy Fri 07-Aug-15 14:40:16

You're supposed to have 11 clear hours between shifts unless you've opted out of the eu working time directive. Was your injury reported on RIDDOR? Time for you to take some action here. Speak to your union rep if you have one or call Acas.

pumapants Fri 07-Aug-15 14:40:55

YANBU to feel pissed off but I'm not quite sure how you managed to break your thumb. Even in a pitch black room, I know if my hand is wrapped around the door frame or not? So I don't think this is necessarily work's fault.

Altinkum Fri 07-Aug-15 21:41:57

Altinkum Fri 07-Aug-15 21:43:01

ReginaFelangi Fri 07-Aug-15 21:48:36

You're supposed to have 11 clear hours between shifts unless you've opted out of the eu working time directive.

You can't opt out of rest breaks.

And not all industries are covered by the 11 hour break either. Sounds like the OP works in hospitality? It's an excluded industry.

itsmeitscathy Fri 07-Aug-15 21:53:17

you do have rights in line with them breaking the law though - the 11 clear hours and breaks thing isnt just for people who have been with s company for 2 years.

Altinkum Fri 07-Aug-15 21:58:49

Altinkum Fri 07-Aug-15 22:00:59

Icimoi Fri 07-Aug-15 22:01:15

Contact a solicitor to see if you can claim damages for your injury.

Altinkum Fri 07-Aug-15 22:13:44

FabULouse Fri 07-Aug-15 22:17:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sazzle41 Fri 07-Aug-15 22:21:49

If by insisting on you continuing to work when already ill , you become worse or suffer further injury they are liable/on very dodgy ground legally As an employer they have health and safety obligations and a 'duty of care' re. their employees physical and mental health. Thats why a lot of companies dont like employees with fractures etc coming back too early/still with crutches - because if you lose balance on them and injure yourself even slightly again, they are legally liable. (what a friend with broken leg got told when wanting to go back to work while still on crutches).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now