Talk

Advanced search

...about Not on the high street

(32 Posts)
ladylily29 Fri 07-Aug-15 13:47:28

I ordered some bracelets from NotHS last week. They were listed as being reduced from £16 to £4.90. The thing about NotHS is that it's supposed to be crafty stuff that you can't get elsewhere.
Anyway, the parcel arrived this morning and the bracelets are from Fat Face with the labels still attached (as well as a £12 price tag). I wouldn't have ordered them if I'd known but don't know whether I can be bothered to go through the whole returns process now.
AIBU or is this really cheeky?

honeysucklejasmine Fri 07-Aug-15 13:49:01

A lot of stuff on NOTHS can be purchased cheaper elsewhere! I avoid it now as I'm never sure if I am being ripped off!

youngestisapyscho Fri 07-Aug-15 13:58:39

Most of the stuff I have looked at always has the name of the Company making it, so often go look at their own website. I was looking for some white fairy lights last Xmas, NOTHS had some for about £25, looked up the manufacturer of the lights and found them on their own website for £19.99, then found the exact same lights on Amazon for £12.99!

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Fri 07-Aug-15 14:01:06

I think it has changed substantially from its original inception to something closer to Amazon Martketplace. Which is a real shame

PandasRock Fri 07-Aug-15 14:06:48

YABU.

You liked the bracelets (I assume) which is why you ordered them. It makes no difference whether they were lovingly handcrafted, or mass produced for FatFace, they are still the bracelets that you liked.

It also makes no difference that they were originally on sale for a higher price than when available at FatFace. You didn't pay that price, you laid a reduced one. It is unreasonable of you to feel annoyed that you didn't get as good a bargain as you thought - you obviously thought they were worth what you paid, so what difference does it make?

I agree that NOTHS has changed a great deal, though. Lots of overpriced stuff which is available elsewhere for lower prices.

Patapouf Fri 07-Aug-15 14:51:03

I bought a load of stuff on there that turned out to be from hobbycraft with a 50% mark up!

ollieplimsoles Fri 07-Aug-15 15:30:41

NOTHS is a huge con, costs thousands to even join ive heard. I avoid like the plague

M00nUnit Fri 07-Aug-15 15:43:54

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect something you buy from Not on the Highstreet to NOT be available ON THE HIGHSTREET (which Fatface most certainly is)! I'm not surprised you're a bit disappointed.

maudpringles Fri 07-Aug-15 16:27:48

Surely if they were from Fat Face they ARE on the high street?
and that isn't their USP.
I would be annoyed.

Loletta Fri 07-Aug-15 16:35:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SnowBells Fri 07-Aug-15 16:48:37

I always looked at NOTHS, but never end up ordering.

I was hoping they were going to be like ETSY (where I seriously crave stuff from - mostly US artists, etc.), but these days, they just sell things I can find on Amazon or so.

I sometimes wonder whether this is because the UK is much smaller, so it's difficult to get as much craftsmanship as, say, in the US. Although the number of ETSY sellers from the UK are increasing.

CrystalMcPistol Fri 07-Aug-15 16:50:57

I think it has changed substantially from its original inception to something closer to Amazon Martketplace. Which is a real shame

I agree. It used to have some interesting items, these days each search throws up 12731 results, 12754 of them being tat.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Fri 07-Aug-15 16:56:50

Yes, it has changed so much. sad

CamelHump Fri 07-Aug-15 16:59:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FanFuckingTastic Fri 07-Aug-15 17:06:53

Could it be something that is no longer sold by Fat Face, old stock perhaps?

Pohtaytoh Fri 07-Aug-15 17:52:04

YANBU. I run my own craft business and looked at joining NOTHS but their joining fee and commission is extortionate so prices are often inflated. That said i've heard their selection process is quite rigorous so surprised stuff like FatFace old stock gets through.
Tye thing is they are a Marketing juggernaut so you almost have to be listed to get noticed. Shop on Folksy or Etsy to support the littler guys.

CrystalMcPistol Fri 07-Aug-15 17:54:25

I love Etsy, buy lots of stuff there. There's some dodgy stuff there too of course but that's balanced out by so many amazing things that I covet on a daily basis.

LegallyDumb Fri 07-Aug-15 19:05:29

Another who loves Etsy.

I have a wee Etsy shop which is all handmade, but my problem is I'm in danger of spending as much as I make on all the other lovely things there grin

Agree that you just have to steer clear of the dodgy stuff.

Whenever I've stumbled across something on NOTHS I can usually find it cheaper elsewhere. I think as the commission and joining fee is so high, even legitimate sellers have no choice but to increase their prices, other people making similar but selling elsewhere can offer their stuff at a lower price.

Kumiho Sat 08-Aug-15 09:21:51

Top tip. Most of what you can see on NotHS you can find on Aliexpress where it's bought in loads of 1000 at about 6p each.

When I've complained, I'm told that they permit sellers to 'source their items from suppliers' and you'll see they don't use the term 'handmade', though they may bang on about 'bringing you goods from around the world' or 'carefully chosen crafters'. If they add something to the item, usually sticking a 6p necklace on a bit of card with a wistful phrase on it, they can start using the 'handmade' line.

Etsy suffers the same problem. It caused a big hoo ha some years back as Etsy couldn't or wouldn't clarify what 'handmade' really meant and basically if you sold cheap Chinese tat but you added a single bead, or you bought the pendants and necklaces separately and threaded them on, it was considered you had 'made' it. No one was asking the knitters to sheer their own wool, or the jewellerymakers to melt gold in their own forge, but people felt there should be a distinction between an actual crafter and someone reselling wholesale items.

RepeatAdNauseum Sat 08-Aug-15 09:24:58

NOTHS charges a huge commission. Most sellers over price things in the hope that the buyer will see lower prices on their own website or another online market place.

I believe they removed the requirement for items to be handmade, too, although I did think you couldn't sell things directly from another store unless Fat Face have a NOTHS store (which would ironic given the name).

NicoleWatterson Sat 08-Aug-15 09:33:38

Folksy and etsy are your friends. Lovely things on there

Yanbu about noth at all, I stopped using it when you can't search without it bringing up 280456 results. I'm not wading through that shit! I'm assuming the 10 days distance selling return stands? Although I would be inclined to take pictures and complaint to them, that it is available on the high street

BurningBriquette Sat 08-Aug-15 09:37:32

I used to enjoy looking through NOTH, but it all seems rather over priced now. I found a set of suitcase boxes (looking for a gift) selling at £26. www.notonthehighstreet.com/lindsayinteriors/product/bird-suitcase-set-of-three

Checked on Amazon, and found the same product for £14!

Agree with above posters - Etsy has some really interesting, quirky, well priced things. Although I always remind myself about possible additional charges when buying from US sellers (customs etc).

Belleview Sat 08-Aug-15 09:42:02

Etsy is lovely. I go to my favourites page there as a therapeutic activity.. Just to look at the beautiful things!

CaptainSwan Sat 08-Aug-15 10:11:37

That's bad! I would complain definitely.

You do have to watch the stuff on there, I always look up the supplier before I buy as their stuff is often cheaper on their own page. I had heard that NOTHS takes a 50% cut but I don't know how true that is.

LegallyDumb Mon 10-Aug-15 08:38:32

Indeed Kumiho sometimes I use google image search just for my own amusement. For example £22 on NOTHS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now