Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that by nearly 7 months my child should be sleeping more than 90 fucking minutes at night?

(23 Posts)
Totality22 Thu 06-Aug-15 21:27:43

She has never been a great sleeper but this is just insane... its been a week now and I've been up every hour / 90 minutes through the night. She slept more than this as a newborn.

Yes we are weaning (BLW and very minimal amounts thus far) and I know it can disrupt sleep but seriously!!!

DS slept through from 10 weeks so I guess I've been spoilt.

Please tell me she'll sleep better soon..... pretty please.

Totality22 Thu 06-Aug-15 21:29:15

Sorry, the thread title is misleading I blame sleep deprivation

She doesn't sleep for more than 90 minutes at a time!!! Which is still fucking hard going.

ninetynineonehundred Thu 06-Aug-15 21:32:01

Can't give you the reassurance you want I'm afraid but I've been there and it's really really hard

Although some hope could be that it's teething? Hope tonight is better for you

Mulligrubs Thu 06-Aug-15 21:36:24

OP I feel your pain, my son was like this until he was around a year old (probably not what you wanted to hear!)

He basically started sleeping through the night all of a sudden - I read somwhere that sleep is a skill and some kids take longer than others to get there. Hang on in there.

BuntyCollocks Thu 06-Aug-15 21:38:19

Is there perhaps an underlying issue? My daughter has severe reflux which wasn't diagnosed until 12 months. It was hell. I am sorry. I've been there.

Chchchchanging Thu 06-Aug-15 21:44:17

I promise this phase will pass
I was you
I was on my knees
They do sleep eventually

SadieSue29 Thu 06-Aug-15 21:46:30

I know exactly how tough this is, in my case it lasted until my son was 3 and a half, he's now 4 and sleeps for 3 hours at a time. In my head I am saying go the fuck back to sleep, in reality it's ' shssss darling lay back down'

Artandco Thu 06-Aug-15 21:46:42

Are you still feeding her overnight? I would do a last feed at 11pm, then nothing until gone 6am

mangoespadrille Thu 06-Aug-15 21:55:29

I second teething. DD's first tooth has finally popped through at 7.5 months today. We've had a month of poor sleep, in conjunction with her first cold. Today is the first time she's gone down at bedtime and stayed down (so far - touch wood) in a loooong time. Hopefully you'll turn a corner soon! Somehow it feels worse than the newborn stage because it's so unexpected and you've been led into a false sense of security with much better sleep around 4.5-6 months.

toomuchtooold Thu 06-Aug-15 21:57:15

If it's just gone tits up in the last week I'd suspect it's illness or teething. If it was OK up till about 4 months and then went downhill and never got much better, then from what I've read and experienced it's an issue with not being able to get back to sleep after partial waking in the night. Everyone (other than newborns) sleeps in 90 minute sleep cycles with a partial awakening at the end of each 90 minutes. Babies who need help to go to sleep in the first place, often need the same help to get back to a deep sleep after a partial awakening. You can do sleep training of a more or less gentle variety to help her learn to go back to sleep on her own. I found Marc Weissbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and The Millpond Clinic's Teach Your Child To Sleep very helpful.

Now I have to go and get my asbestos jacket for when the AP parents show up grin.

madwomanbackintheattic Thu 06-Aug-15 22:01:06

Ds did this from birth until 10mos when I stopped bf. Refusing to feed him full stop was the only thing that worked. He slept through within a couple of days as soon as I turned off the milk taps.

CarlaJones Thu 06-Aug-15 22:01:41

My younger dd was like this in her first year. She'd wake up to ten times a night. (Elder dd slept really well) At age one dd2 dropped down to waking about twice a night, which was much more manageable. Age 2 years and 2 months she slept all night.

Milkyway1304 Thu 06-Aug-15 22:01:50

My sleeping through the night at 8 weeks baby woke hourly between 6-7months. I was going crazy when she suddenly started just waking the once. She wasn't eating anything at that stage (nightmare to wean!). I have no idea what was going on that month but it was around the time she started crawling. We've had similar but less dramatic weeks when she started standing, and walking.

houseofstark Thu 06-Aug-15 22:05:18

YANBU my 5 month old is exactly the same. hmm

Nothing I do seems to make a difference either. So DH and I sleep in different rooms and split the night duty. Fingers crossed it doesn't last forever!!

BertieBotts Thu 06-Aug-15 22:09:38

Maybe she's coming down with something or about to have a growth spurt or a developmental leap?

Minions Thu 06-Aug-15 22:15:15

My DD has never been a great sleeper but at 14 months we had a terrible 3-4 weeks where she would be up every 30mins/hour for several hours or waking up and staying awake for over an hour. I felt like it was a massive step backwards. This website really helped and seemed to be true. You've got my sympathy, it's really hard going and hard not to wonder what you're doing wrong (which is nothing). After the 3-4 weeks she's now sleeping great.

www.pinkymckay.com/the-myth-of-baby-sleep-regressions-whats-really-happening-to-your-babys-sleep/

Here's an excerpt...

But here’s the thing: your baby isn’t having a ‘regression’. Sleep isn’t a milestone – even though it certainly feels like an achievement when your baby starts snoozing for several hours at a stretch. By the way, ‘all night’ in infant sleep studies means five hours sleep in a row –not eight hours like an adult or twelve hours like some baby books will tell you. The real, measurable, important milestones that signal your baby’s actual development can influence your baby’s sleep, or lack of it. So, when your baby, who has been sleeping in peaceful bocks, suddenly starts waking more frequently, it usually means he is approaching a real developmental milestone – he is not ‘regressing’, he is ‘progressing.’

Ineedtimeoff Thu 06-Aug-15 22:43:14

I understand your pain. DD was like this too. I was lucky that I had a wonderful HV who said to me "I know exactly what the problem is and I can help you". I could have kissed her.

I tried everything and read every book going from Gina Ford to the no cry sleep solution. In the end it was a form of CC that got her to sleep a little bit better (5 hrs in a row).

Sleep deprivation is damaging for your baby as well as for you.
I wish you luck. It's really bloody awful flowers

BristolMum321 Thu 06-Aug-15 22:48:59

My third was like this. I got to 11 months and couldn't do it anymore. Not many people understand what you are going through....a baby who never sleeps is really tough. Mine is now 18 months & he sleeps, but he was like this until he was 13 months.
In the end, my DH had to do some nightshifts so that I could recover my sanity. At first I couldn't sleep, it was as though I had forgotten how. After about 2 weeks I started to recover. It took months for me to feel properly well again.
I can't remember much from last year. I think my memory was affected. It also made me miserable.....but I was just tired. It's like having a newborn for months and months.
Can you DH take over for a while at night? Nothing else worked for us & we tried everything.

BiscuitMillionaire Thu 06-Aug-15 22:51:30

Read the Baby Whisperer books or online forums for advice. Babies' sleep cycle is - guess what? 90 minutes! So every 90 minutes a normal baby half-wakes, then either settles themself back to sleep or fully wakes and cries to get you to settle them. So you need to teach them to self-settle. This does NOT have to mean by leaving them alone to cry. 7 months is a good age to do 'pick-up put-down' - read up about it, and if you decide to do it, be consistent.

Good luck.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Thu 06-Aug-15 22:59:52

Some simple things to try...
They may help, they may not.

Put a radio on in her room, out of reach. On quietly, so if she wakes, she can hear soft voices or soft music.

Let her have a t-shirt or similar thing in her bed. Either one you have worn, or a clean one sprayed lightly with your perfume if you wear any. The smell of you (or daddy?) should reassure her.

Does she sleep in a grow-bag? If not, they can help prevent cold toes in the night.

Also, night feeds/drinks? Put water in a sippy cup. This is all she can have at night. Hopefully not worth getting up for!

Also, it might be worth trying to give her a bigger meal before bed, if you can? So she has real food to digest overnight, keeping her full for longer.

Even if its only a mushed up rusk and milk.

Traditional remedies like lavender or warm milk can still be good.
As can a nice long toddle around/climb on furniture or soft play...

And yes, it will pass. She will learn to settle, or at least learn to stay In her bed quietly.

FoulsomeAndMaggotwise Thu 06-Aug-15 23:43:42

DS was like this. Up every 60-90 minutes for 13 fucking months and then miraculously just slept through. He's 2 now and a perfect sleeper.

BumpTheElephant Fri 07-Aug-15 12:33:57

I have been there op, you have my sympathies!
Hang in there, it will get better in three years

knittingirl Fri 07-Aug-15 14:29:51

You have my sympathy - I've been there, and it's hard. The only way I found to make it through the nights was by co sleeping so that at least I didn't have to get out of bed when ds woke up. What finally made him sleep through was night weaning, which I did when he was about 16 months - lack of available boob and suddenly the little darling was capable of sleeping through the night hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now