Talk

Advanced search

To "make" elderly relative go to A&E

(4 Posts)
FurtherSupport Thu 06-Aug-15 11:45:21

She's 80 next year, very active, still running marathons!

She had a fall running in the woods, badly scraped her arm, but the alarming thing is that both her wrist and elbow are very black/bruised and swollen. She doesn't appear to be in much pain, but she's a stoical, 79yo, marathon runner, I'm not sure she feels pain like normal people grin

I and the people she was running with told her she should get it x-rayed but she refused. Left it for a couple of days then was told by more people at her club that she should go to hospital, which she has now reluctantly done.

Thankfully, all is well. They've dressed the wound but nothing broken....and I am never going to hear the end of it (even though it wasn't actually me who "made" her go in the end)

Were we all wrong to encourage her to go?

Nonnainglese Thu 06-Aug-15 11:52:38

Nope, you weren't all wrong.
She probably secretly agrees she needed to go but wasn't going to be told by anyone what to do, bless her!

I love feisty older people, it's what keeps them going smile, good for her!

CMOTDibbler Thu 06-Aug-15 12:06:08

You weren't wrong at all. Just do the mental 'smile and wave' if she brings it up

AwkwardSquad Thu 06-Aug-15 20:16:49

You weren't wrong at all. If it had turned out to be a fracture, the delay could cause complications. Stoicism isn't always helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now