Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To hate the word Gotten, there is surely no such word

(75 Posts)
NoahVale Thu 06-Aug-15 06:56:38

and I was dismayed to see that my DD wrote gotten in an email to a prospective employer.

ginmakesitallok Thu 06-Aug-15 06:57:23

Gotten is a word.

NoahVale Thu 06-Aug-15 06:57:56

in America yes but not in UK

ToastedOrFresh Thu 06-Aug-15 06:58:58

I don't like gotten either. Totally unnecessary.

lighteningirl Thu 06-Aug-15 06:59:34

Ill gotten gains is the only use that springs to mind hope she didn't use that phrase Noahvale

TheSultanofPing Thu 06-Aug-15 06:59:47

It is a word. It was used frequently at one time, but has been replaced by got.

NoahVale Thu 06-Aug-15 07:00:27

grin
Lighten

No I think the phrase was, I have gotten another reference

dontcryitsonlyajoke Thu 06-Aug-15 07:01:05

I remember my English teacher at school saying there were two words that we should never use as there were always alternatives if we just thought even a tiny bit: "nice" and "to get."

She was right.

There is always another verb you can use that's more suitable. Gotten is particularly horrid.

NoahVale Thu 06-Aug-15 07:02:12

I am not alone in my hate for the word
as in this link,
people pour scorn on the word, apparently
grammarist.com/usage/got-gotten/

dontcryitsonlyajoke Thu 06-Aug-15 07:02:33

In your daughters case it could be "I have obtained another reference" - way classier than got, let alone gotten.

Ill gotten gains is good though. I always wanted se of those ;)

cariadlet Thu 06-Aug-15 07:03:11

I don't like it and can't help thinking of it as an Americanism even though I know in my head that it's a British word that we exported and then stopped using ourselves.
I think it would be really inappropriate in an email or letter to an employer - would make you sound a bit illiterate.

NoahVale Thu 06-Aug-15 07:03:47

and My dd has just finished A level english language shock

CoffeeAndOranges Thu 06-Aug-15 07:08:24

Gotten used to be a perfectly normal past tense 'i have gotten' in English. It carried on in American English but British English evolved separately. Now it's coming back in to usage due to US culture influence.

I don't particularly like its use, especially in formal contexts, but it would be interesting if it evolved back into the language a couple of hundred years after it left!

I did Linguistics at university 15 years ago and I can only show off any knowledge at times like this, so humour me (I may also be wrong...)

merrymouse Thu 06-Aug-15 07:10:01

It is a proper English word - although 'gotten' has been generally exchanged for 'got' in the UK. Misbegotten, forgotten and ill gotten are still used on this side of the Atlantic.

alrayyan Thu 06-Aug-15 07:11:27

Americanisms? Quick pass the smelling salts...that's almost as bad as being common.

Hate this snobbery. Who actually really cares?

G1veMeStrength Thu 06-Aug-15 07:12:13

I can't stand it. I also hate utilise. Just say got and use.

IsItMeOrIsItHotInHere Thu 06-Aug-15 07:14:12

It is a word, but it's an American English word, not an English English word - at least not in the context that it is now being used. I agree with Coffee.

But I don't care whether it's a real word or not, I care that we have a perfectly got word of our own that does the job yet it is increasingly being replaced with an American alternative for no good reason.

merrymouse Thu 06-Aug-15 07:14:51

I agree with dont cry though - 'got' and 'gotten' can both sound clumsy and lazy.

Maybe 'gotten' sounds bad because it is overused?

Tryingtokeepalidonit Thu 06-Aug-15 07:21:46

I read to an elderly, blind neighbour a couple of times a week and am currently reading a D E Stevenson novel written in the 1940's. Gotten is in regular use and I have also noticed it in Agatha Christie novels so I would imagine it was still in common usage in the UK at that time.

IsItMeOrIsItHotInHere Thu 06-Aug-15 08:44:46

I think it may have been used in a slightly different context though?

merrymouse Thu 06-Aug-15 09:05:45

Which novel?

soverylucky Thu 06-Aug-15 09:38:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LurkingHusband Thu 06-Aug-15 09:41:08

Interesting site for US:UK language watchers ....

britishisms.wordpress.com/

TheDowagerCuntess Thu 06-Aug-15 09:41:34

Crikey, there was a thread on this just a couple of weeks ago.

'Gotten' is common enough parlance down our way.

FirstWeTakeManhattan Thu 06-Aug-15 09:46:26

I find it a bit try-hard actually. When I read it here, in posts, I find it clunky and makes me wince just very slightly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now