Talk

Advanced search

To ask for some advice?

(35 Posts)
WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 05-Aug-15 22:47:11

Had a nice day on the beach with dd and ds today.
Dd is 2. She was in a wetsuit for warmth and an un-padded real nappy, acting as a swim nappy.
She is fairly regular at filling her nappy first thing in the morning. Then usually not again until the next morning, so we don't always go around checking for poop...
Today though, she had the worlds biggest poop mid afternoon. She didn't mention it. (Mostly, she tells me)
She was splashing at the edge of the sea with ds. Nappy got wet as well as very full.
Nice 15 minute (toddler paced) walk back to the car. Stripped her down to clean and dress before driving home.
She has the most awful sore bottom.
She rarely complains about pain (grazed knees, banged head etc, all pass with a rub or a kiss. Maybe a plaster if there is blood. )
But this is so sore, she was screaming as I rinsed her in morrisons sink.
Obviously, I did what I could with wipes. But it was much gentler to wash the sand off with water.
So, what is the best thing for a sore little bottom? First time she has suffered from it.
We got some johnsons nappy cream in the shop.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 05-Aug-15 22:49:15

Poor thing filled her nappy again in the restraunt at tea time. Had to wait while we paid for a change.
She is walking like John Wayne sad

Sandbrook Wed 05-Aug-15 22:49:27

Oh the poor chick. I have always used sudocreme for sore bottoms, nappy rash.
One thick layer at bedtime and it usually dries it up by morning.
Hope she feels better soon. The mix of the sand and salt will have exacerbated it I would imagine.

Whatabout Wed 05-Aug-15 22:52:14

Use some talc to get sand off, really helps. Metanium is very good for nappy rash, also lots of nappy free time. Don't feel bad, it's just one of those things and she won't be scarred for life physically or mentally flowers

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 05-Aug-15 22:53:23

I always found metanium best for nappy rash but agree that wetsuits are awful for sore legs and bums. We don't use them for the dc's anymore because the mix of sand and water just makes them so sore.

I'd keep her bare bummed for as much time as possible to.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Wed 05-Aug-15 22:53:35

MEtanium, bepanthen or sudocrem are all good - see which you can get from a 24 hour garage?

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 05-Aug-15 22:55:14

Bepanthen was my go to cream for both my 2. Works a treat.

DoJo Wed 05-Aug-15 23:01:17

Metanium never failed for mine, but I have heard good things about Bepanthen as well.

Hero1callylost Wed 05-Aug-15 23:02:59

My LO gets very fast flare ups of nappy rash occasionally, looks almost like sunburn - possibly thrush. Pharmacist suggested clotrimozole which works a treat - would be worth having chat with a pharmacist to get the right stuff as if it is thrush metanium etc won't do much and is just painful to wipe off again

Haggisfish Wed 05-Aug-15 23:06:55

Metanium.

SailorBobsGrog Wed 05-Aug-15 23:08:09

If she's pooed twice or is it 3 times today could something else be going on that's made her poo more acidic than normal?

Sudocreme is very good for nappy rash and scalds and pretty much everything. But only use a very thin layer. And as suggested above left the air to it as much as possible.

SailorBobsGrog Wed 05-Aug-15 23:08:46

bear for LO

ToTheGups Wed 05-Aug-15 23:11:27

I have never looked back after trying bepanthan. Maybe some paracetamol before bed if she is sore too.

lyrasdaemo Wed 05-Aug-15 23:11:53

Welelda Calendula cream is great stuff. For really bad our GP gave us Clotrimazole with steroid.

anyoldnameforathread Wed 05-Aug-15 23:13:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

The5DayChicken Wed 05-Aug-15 23:14:41

All creams mentioned above are worth a go, definitely. If it looks very sore, calprofen (or equivalent) should take some of the inflammation down and give her a bit of relief. And I find that the best thing for a sore bum is nappy-free time. thanks for the poor little lady.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 05-Aug-15 23:15:39

Hi. Thanks all.
I was expecting to need my tin hat for washing her down in the sink in the shop. (Only sand, minimal poo...)

She did have a great big dish of chopped fruits last night. Normally, she has a small dish. But she was still hungry, so I gave her a few more. Not that unusual, but I guess it won't help.

To the poster who mentioned sunburn (sorry, names don't show on a small screen), yes! That is what she looks like. Skin feels warm too, compared to her legs or tummy. Patches are bleeding, just little spots. That made me think nappy rash?

She is happily asleep now, covered in as much johnsons 3in1 as she let me get near her.

If she still looks sunburnt in the morning, I will get medical advice. Thanks.

Greengardenpixie Wed 05-Aug-15 23:17:56

My children have all had nappy rashes from hell from time to time. The only thing that gets rid is Canestan nappy rash cream. Works wonders. Try the things above but if it doesnt work try the Canestan.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 05-Aug-15 23:18:17

No, she wasn't eating the sand this time. I think she out-grew that last year. I was so careful with her (one-off) jar of shop bought food and spoon, only for her to eat handfuls of sand between every mouthful of glop!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 05-Aug-15 23:19:36

For those suggesting the canestan, is that chemist or doctor?
I assume its not in tesco, next to nappies?

Greengardenpixie Wed 05-Aug-15 23:21:11

OP sounds like you need the canestan nappy rash. Get it from the chemist.

Sounds like this?

www.canesten.co.uk/lifes-little-irritations/nappy-rash.htm

AboutTimeIChangedMyNameAgain Wed 05-Aug-15 23:21:23

Metanium. You only need a thin layer and you can clean it off with olive oil instead of water, for really sore bottoms.

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 05-Aug-15 23:21:52

google wet suit rash, it does look like a type of burn with little spots. If she is going back on the beach I'd put a good coating of vaseline on her bum and tops of legs and thighs as a barrier against the sand.

Greengardenpixie Wed 05-Aug-15 23:24:32

When my dd had the blisters nothing got rid of it until i used the canestan. She was screaming in pain. The canestan took a couple of days to get rid of it but it worked smile

molyholy Wed 05-Aug-15 23:28:05

Bepanthen. It was a godsend. My daughter used to suffer terribly with sore privates and this was like wonder cream for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now