Talk

Advanced search

To ask for potty training advice

(36 Posts)
steppedonlego Wed 05-Aug-15 18:09:43

My (nearly) two year old started potty training about a month ago. We just let her go bare bummed at home and now she is consistently going in the potty. We are however still using nappies in public.

My problem is how to take the next step. Though everything is going into the potty, she's using it every ten minutes or so for very small amounts. Is there anyway I can teach her to hold on for a while as the idea of doing a supermarket run (or pretty much any outing) with breaks every ten minutes sounds like a nightmare, or should I keep what I'm doing for a while until she's a little older. She's still quite young (two at the end of September)

Stanky Wed 05-Aug-15 18:42:54

Watching with interest. Ds is almost 4, but has developmental delays. He is more like a 2 year old. But any ideas would be welcome. smile

Aeroflotgirl Wed 05-Aug-15 19:05:46

same with Stanky, ds 3.5 has dev delay and is more like a 2 year old, it is going sooooooooo slowly. Even dd 8 who has ASD dev delay was quicker than this.

Aeroflotgirl Wed 05-Aug-15 19:07:11

With dd, I just used to carry extra clothing with me, and take her to the public toilets at every opportunity. If we were in a park, no toilets, and she said she needed a wee, we would use a bush.

GloGirl Wed 05-Aug-15 19:13:01

Another one with no advice whon needs it! My boy has decided to potty training himself and he is doing great at home . I'm scared about the next step and I think he is too because he's refusing to put pants on.

x2boys Wed 05-Aug-15 19:20:08

stanky ds2 is five with development delays and asd i,m getting help with it from the paediatric learning disabillity team.i do now get free nappies though!

ThisFenceIsComfy Wed 05-Aug-15 19:27:17

I have just potty trained my DS though he is three so a bit older. He can go about an hour or two in between wees so it's a lot more viable.

I just limit drinks in the run up to going out, make him do a big wee before leaving, plan carefully my trip around where toilets are, and explain to him where the next toilet is so that he knows how long he has to go between toilets.

GirlsWhoWearGlasses Wed 05-Aug-15 19:28:46

I would go cold turkey on the nappies, at least during the day. Doing bits and pieces is confusing.

I would also recommend giving her largish drinks spaced out, so no frequent little sips of drinks. That should encourage bigger pees more infrequently.

Try it full tilt for a week, if she's not ready, go back to nappies and try again in a few months.

Accidents will happen, that's a fact of life, but taking her for a try really regularly, say half hourly, should minimise this.

DrinkGirlsFeck Wed 05-Aug-15 19:29:43

Have you thought about terry lined training pants? I had some for dd and they caught enough urine to avoid awkward puddles in the supermarket. However she still felt 'wet' unlike nappies so it encouraged her to go on the potty. I also couldn't have survived without a potette porta potty which folds. I may have had to use it in the supermarket one day (don't judge me - it was that or a puddle on the floor/ trail of wee throughout the shop) blush

SaucyJack Wed 05-Aug-15 19:30:25

I'd say to just go somewhere a few times with lots of toilets and a few clean pairs of pants.

She'll either get it or she won't. If she doesn't, stick to pull-ups. My older two were both "ready" when I trained them and as such it really wasn't a ballache to do.

paxtecum Wed 05-Aug-15 19:31:03

Many years ago I used to put the potty in a carrier bag under the pushchair and take it out with us.

PicnicPie Wed 05-Aug-15 19:39:22

I would take your DD to the loo before you leave home and then head out (without a nappy on). Don't do a big shop. Just have a wonder around somewhere where you know there are toilets incase you need to make a dash for it. You will actually be suprised at how long they can actually go without needing to go. Old towel in car seat/push chair incase of accidents and spare clothes. I found the best way was to go cold turkey on nappies and get my DD used to pants. Before you leave supermarket/shopping centre take DD to the toilets. Head home and resume potty as you've been doing.

I know it's horrible clearing up accidents but I actually found that having a few accidents made my DD get the gist of potty training. And nappies just delayed that.

If my DD (2.5) has been to the loo before i've left home and has not had a drink then she can easily go 2 hours without needing to go.

Take a chance. See how you get on.

Stanky Thu 06-Aug-15 09:17:18

x2boys, that's great that you are getting support from the paediatric team. We're still waiting for physiotherapy to strengthen his core muscles, as they're weakness is having an effect on potty training. He is not picking up any signals with going to the toilet at all. He also can not undress/dress himself at the moment, so that doesn't help either. He has lots of other issues as well, but we are now in the biggest size for nappies, and I was wondering what we do when he gets too big for them. Are the free nappies in a larger size? Sorry to hijack the thread. blush

Stanky Thu 06-Aug-15 09:18:27

Aeroflotgirl, I feel your pain. flowers

x2boys Thu 06-Aug-15 09:23:41

yes we get them from the NHS i think they are actually adult nappies for incontinence aids but i got the extra small in my LA the child has to be five before they qualify[ maybe different dependning on areas] so we have just started getting them we get three months supply at once based on your child will use three a day they are a lot thicker than normal nappies.

Stanky Thu 06-Aug-15 11:07:17

Thanks x2boys. smile We may or may not be there by then, but it's good to know just in case. I had no idea. flowers

ReginaFelangi Thu 06-Aug-15 11:10:28

Ditch the nappies. You're sending mixed messages.

MrsBobDylan Thu 06-Aug-15 12:03:52

For those training kids with dev delays/ASD, ds5 started school in nappies and they took him to do a wee every 30mins and if he did a wee in the toilet he got a marshmallow.

Fast forward to the end of reception year and he doesn't wear a nappy until he needs to poo around 3ish (thought it usually ends up in pants which we bin) and he asks to go for a wee!

His sn school have brilliant and gave me helpful guidance. With my NT eldest we just went without nappies and he was fully trained in a week.With my ASD son I tried that method but it didn't suit him at all.

I also think that the child has to be ready. All the pushing my son's nursery did to toilet train was deeply unhelpful and unesscessery IMO.

Op, give going out without nappies a go but if you feel DD isn't quite ready yet, maybe shelve it for the time being?She's done really well to be using the potty at home.

fleurdelacourt Thu 06-Aug-15 12:09:25

think I'd just go without the nappies when going out tbh? Switching to nappies when out is sending her mixed messages? She might surprise you? (But if not, I'd also make sure I had a couple of changes of clothes with me!)

steppedonlego Thu 06-Aug-15 16:50:55

Thankyou ladies. I've got a lot to be going on. flowers

80schild Thu 06-Aug-15 16:59:21

When toilet training my kids I just made them use the loo and went cold turkey with no nappies as I never understood the concept of "potty training". To me it just seems to be a way of making extra work when your kid isn't quite ready. They were a bit older than average (3 yrs) but neither of them had accidents - so basically, do it cold turkey or not at all.

StarSpotter Thu 06-Aug-15 17:04:09

I used to take the potty out too. Made me feel better about going cold turkey.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 06-Aug-15 17:43:08

Thanks stanky, you too flowers. He did a few wees on the potty by himself this week, and has been running outside and doing a wee, because I told him I do not want a wet carpet, so I think it's getting there. His understanding is pretty good, his speech and motor skills are delayed. He is 3.5 years but has the speech of a 2 year old.

Evianbaby15 Thu 06-Aug-15 17:44:48

I saw a woman in supermarket a few days ago whip out a potty for her little one. I'm sure I've seen pottys specifically for this but can't remember where (sorry not helpful)

Mercedes519 Thu 06-Aug-15 18:15:31

We had a thing called a potette which is a fold up potty which also acts as a toilet seat. It has plastic bags with a bit like a panty liner inside. We used it everywhere, it doesn't take up much room and you then throw away the used plastic bags.

I also kept on asking when there was the opportunity to go. I still do and they are 5 and 9!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now