Talk

Advanced search

easy jet won't replace my ipad that they broke on the hold

(255 Posts)
carmellas3 Wed 05-Aug-15 15:56:06

I had a short flight with easy jet. However I was told as boarding the plane my hand luggage would have to go on the hold. I said I couldn't do this as was carrying delicate and fragile items (musical equipment). They told me I had no choice.

So I took on board what I could hold in my hands and the rest had to go on the hold. Every thing was fine apart from my iPad. Cracked screen so unusable.

I've been chasing them for 4 months and still they count it as resolved and won't replace it for me. Aibu to think that they should.

Reignbeau Wed 05-Aug-15 15:58:42

Why did it have to go in the hold? If you were trying to take a bag bigger than allowed as hand luggage on then it's your fault, if your bag was within the regulations then they should replace the iPad.

youareallbonkers Wed 05-Aug-15 16:01:39

Why didn't you take iPad out? Something fishy here

carmellas3 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:01:42

Very sorry I should of said. It was because they ran out of space in the cabin, however when I got on there was space for it!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:04:09

They seem to get full up in the cabin now as everyone just takes hand luggage. I don't know, but I think I would have expected you to protect it properly whether it goes in an overhead locker or in the hold.

Happy36 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:04:51

You need to claim on your travel insurance.

Easyjet´s policy on hand luggage is clear, one item, because your musical instrument obviously can´t go in the hold, any other stuff you were travelling with had to.

Regardless of the circumstances, an airline won´t reimburse passengers for items being damaged unless the damage is totally unreasonable. An iPad screen is fragile and cracks easily. If Easyjet reimbursed everyone whose iPad screen broke in the hold, then everyone who had a cracked screen would pop on an Easyjet flight (cheaper than the iPad itself), bung the iPad in the hold and, hey presto, receive reimbursement. This is what travel insurance is for.

ilovesooty Wed 05-Aug-15 16:05:09

I don't think they should have to replace it. Their terms are quite clear when you book.

LIZS Wed 05-Aug-15 16:05:48

You should have had the option to remove it from your carryon bag. Was it appropriately packed and definitely not cracked beforehand? Can you not claim on your travel insurance?

YellowTulips Wed 05-Aug-15 16:06:06

This is what travel insurance is for....

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 05-Aug-15 16:06:54

Does your travel insurance not cover it?

uggmum Wed 05-Aug-15 16:08:36

Did you have travel ins. My dh broke his on a flight. He crushed it when he reclined his seat.
He claimed on his travel ins and as it happened on a plane they claimed half the cost from the airline.
We received the full amount and the ins company billed the airline.
Therefore, there might be some type of arrangement for this.
If you have legal cover on your house insurance they might advise you on this

carmellas3 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:09:14

My musical instrument was in my bag. I only had one item of hand luggage so I totally followed the rules.

I took out all I could physically hold to take into the cabin.

carmellas3 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:10:20

No travel insurance, was within the eu so no need for medial insurance.

DoJo Wed 05-Aug-15 16:11:07

If your hand luggage exceeded the allowance then I can see why they put it in the hold. It is up to you to make sure you are aware of the hand baggage regulations and/or pack fragile items well enough to ensure that they can survive the hold. Can you not claim on your household insurance?

DoJo Wed 05-Aug-15 16:13:06

No travel insurance, was within the eu so no need for medial insurance.

But a) the medical cover you get when travelling within the EU is minimal, and b) lack of travel insurance means that you are not covered for exactly this kind of eventuality!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 05-Aug-15 16:14:31

Even in the EU you need travel insurance, for medical as well. Eg EHIC will not cover your repatriation to the UK. And obviously you need insurance in case of cancellations/delays/missing luggage, broken iPads...

Mutt Wed 05-Aug-15 16:14:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RandomFriend Wed 05-Aug-15 16:17:48

OPs hand luggage did NOT exceed the allowance. Easyjet often offer customers to check in their hand luggage for free at the gate.

There are new rules are for the free hand-luggage: one size is allowed as free hand luggage but passengers may have to put this in the hold (checked in for free) if there is not enough space on the aircraft; and a slightly smaller size that Easyjet guarantee can be in the cabin.

Which size was your luggage? That could make a difference.

To the posters that are saying it is OPs fault, please remember that it can be very stressful boarding an aircraft with a carefully packed bag that is within regulation size and to be told that it will not fit.

LIZS Wed 05-Aug-15 16:17:57

Ah , well you live and learn then . You took the risk travelling without insurance, it would have covered your fragile and expensive items against accidental damage, theft etc. as well as cancellation, medical cover and so on. Do check that your household insurance policy , cc or bank account offer no cover outside the home. Otherwise I'm afraid the loss is yours.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 05-Aug-15 16:18:14

Does your home policy cover items away from home?

carmellas3 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:20:52

The only reason I was forced to put them on the hold as there was too much hand luggage on the flight. I was totally within the rules. As I said I was limited to what I could carry.

My musucial equipment has insurance hence no need for travel insurance.

Happy36 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:21:19

My musical instrument was in my bag. I only had one item of hand luggage so I totally followed the rules.

So you had one bag, which contained your instrument, iPad, and other stuff. So why did you have to check the bag into the hold? Was it oversized?

bloodyteenagers Wed 05-Aug-15 16:22:02

Haha don't need insurance for the EU.
You realize that travel insurance Covers repatriation if needed.
If delays in flights. Problems with accommodation. Loss/theft of
Property.
How would being in the Eu without travel insurance help you if
You had your bag stolen and it contained your passport and money?

Mutt Wed 05-Aug-15 16:22:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

carmellas3 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:23:54

No household contents insurance, only buildings so no luck there.

I bet if I had of had insurance it probabsly wouldn't of covered it on the hold even though I was forced to put it there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now