About people who don't capitalise the first letter of their or other people's names? Grammar-related (((Lighthearted!)))

(18 Posts)
Gardenho Wed 05-Aug-15 15:19:14

I work closely with a woman who never capitalises the first letter of anyone's name. Even in official work emails, she addresses others:
dear lizzie. dear diana. And when I get emails FROM her it appears in my inbox as lizzie drescher (made up name,) not Lizzie Drescher. She also writes, for eg dear mr mulberry when using someone's title.

When she is corresponding with me about important work things, in the middle of sentences she does not capitalise the first letter of names, so it's easier to miss if she's talking about somebody specific. I told her that it would really help if she capitalised the first letter of names but now she seems to be implying that I am some kind of grammar pedant. I honestly just said to her "I find it hard sometimes to catch names in a sentence on email if you don't capitalise the first letter. Would you mind doing it just for me because I don't want to make a mistake?"

But she is implying that this is unreasonable of me and now it is an issue!

There are a few reasons why it's hard:

1. In a sentence it is harder to pick out what's being said and who it is being said to if emails say things like "give that to will and then I'll speak to jan and martin next week. tom can you give me the papers from the other client?" especially if the sentence is buried in the middle of an email.

2. When someone doesn't capitalise the first letter of my name it feels like a small sign of disrespect. I know that's just how I feel and maybe there's something wrong with me (and I didn't say to her it felt disrespectful) but I always make sure I capitalise the first letter of other people's names.

3. It looks like a mistake/rushed to people outside the company. If we're sending emails out to clients and not capitalising other people's first names, I know that they will notice.

What do you think? I am slightly superior to her but in another division.

MixedBerrys Wed 05-Aug-15 15:28:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MixedBerrys Wed 05-Aug-15 15:29:20

UrethraFranklin1 Wed 05-Aug-15 15:35:23

I would just tell her to write properly according to usual rules of English. It's unprofessional to do otherwise, and looks lazy and sloppy. Names need capitals, no arguments about it.

Gardenho Wed 05-Aug-15 15:35:29

Thank you! I feel that if I go to her manager I will look REALLY pedantic. I'm surprised no one has brought her up on this before.

Theycallmemellowjello Wed 05-Aug-15 15:46:40

I think that for internal emails/memos, YABU and if I was a manager I'd think it was strange to raise this. Internal emails are informal and it's good management policy to keep them informal. I don't think that it is good for a company to police style on them -- it's helpful for people to able to communicate freely, even if that means being slightly irritating to others. If she's doing it on any kind of formal correspondence, or emails to clients then yes absolutely you should raise it.

Nolim Wed 05-Aug-15 15:50:49

For internal communication i wouldnt care. But for external clients it maters.

yogababymum Wed 05-Aug-15 15:51:07

This is so basic. I can't believe she's doing this in work, YANBU! It would drive me nuts. Surely someone else (manager) has picked up on it?

hotfuzzra Wed 05-Aug-15 16:01:28

i'D sTART wRITING tO hER lIKE tHIS uNTIL sHe gOT tHE mESSAGE
wHAT aN iDIOT

Archer26 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:02:08

This annoys me so much. My
DH does this even when filling in forms/documents. He's done it on his eBay details to so I see it daily and it makes me hmmconfused

Yanbu. If I received an email/ letter from a coma only with this on I would think they were very unprofessional.

hotfuzzra Wed 05-Aug-15 16:02:14

<Sorry for shouting>

PunkrockerGirl Wed 05-Aug-15 16:05:27

YANBU. Totally unprofessional and would drive me nuts.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 05-Aug-15 16:06:00

wHAT hotfuzza SAID.

(Please that my username is appropriately capitalised)

rosy71 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:11:36

How weird. Of course she should use capitals. Does she write her own name with a capital????

hotfuzzra Wed 05-Aug-15 16:11:42

eXIT iNTERNET uSERNAMES aRE eXEMPT!!

mmmminx Wed 05-Aug-15 16:13:28

DoJo Wed 05-Aug-15 16:16:45

Internally I officially wouldn't care (although it would probably grate a little) - externally I would. I certainly wouldn't perceive lack of capitalisation as a sign of lack of respect, particularly as you say she does it to everyone.

50ShadesofNope Wed 05-Aug-15 16:22:23

Mmmminx gringrin

This would drive me mad too. I'm all for a degree of informality in the office, but there's keeping things informal and just being plain wrong hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now