Talk

Advanced search

Bikini and stretch marks

(23 Posts)
LegoComplex Wed 05-Aug-15 09:11:03

I'm planning to wear a bikini on holiday in a couple of weeks.. bit worried now though that i have extesive stretch marks from just above bellybutton all the way down, hips and thighs.

Do you think it's still ok to wear a bikini? can't do high waisted it looks ridiculous on me.

LegoComplex Wed 05-Aug-15 09:11:30

*extensive that should say

TheOriginalWinkly Wed 05-Aug-15 09:12:52

Nobody will be looking closely, they'll either not give a fuck about how anyone looks or they'll be worrying about how they look. Wear your bikini and enjoy your holiday smile

Flossyfloof Wed 05-Aug-15 09:13:12

Wear what you like, everyone will be so concerned with themselves that they won't even be looking at you. Seriously. It will be fine.

LegoComplex Wed 05-Aug-15 09:19:51

ok great thanks guys!

Thatsafunnyface Wed 05-Aug-15 09:29:07

110% ok to wear whatever you feel comfortable and happy in. I think I look frumpy in a tankini but I FEEL so self conscious in a bikini so tankini every time. Have fun!

Coconutty Wed 05-Aug-15 09:31:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BrianButterfield Wed 05-Aug-15 09:32:29

When I was waiting for DS and DH to come down a water slide once I amused myself by "checking out" people in their swimming costumes. I came to the conclusion that basically everyone looks the same. It was a family place so lots of mums there - the odd slm and toned woman in a bikini (who looked the same as everyone else once drenched with rats tail hair), mostly "normal" bodies in all manner of swimming costumes, and the odd self-conscious person in some sort of coverup. The people trying to cover the most were most obvious, by the way.

Nobody looked great, nobody looked awful, nobody was scaring the children.

motherofstudents Wed 05-Aug-15 09:33:54

www.elephantjournal.com/2014/03/how-to-get-a-bikini-body/

LegoComplex Wed 05-Aug-15 09:36:20

i must admit i ammost worried about scaring children grin thank you though i'll keep your advice in my head!

chocolatedonut Wed 05-Aug-15 09:38:41

I have only ever noticed one person in a bikini with stretch marks and my only thought was "I wish I could wear a bikini"

I have bad stretch marks on boobs, stomach and thighs sad I know really nobody cares ...

ApocalypseThen Wed 05-Aug-15 09:59:04

Definitely do it. Enjoy your body and don't be undermining yourself. I bet you look so much better than you imagine, but even if you didn't, it's your holiday. Ignore any niggling doubts, get out there and enjoy every second. You won't regret it when the winter comes!

DaddyPigIsMyParentingGuru Wed 05-Aug-15 10:11:31

I just bought my first bikini I don't think I look great at all. I just want to wear one. I have daughters and sons so I want them to see not every woman has a perfect figure and that's fine. I will feel a bit conscious but I will be on the beach building sandcastles hopefully it will stop raining

monkeysox Wed 05-Aug-15 11:06:39

I agree with Brian "The people trying to cover the most were most obvious, by the way"

Just been away and I wore bikinis. stretch marks are normal. My friend with three kids and is a size 8 who has no stretch marks is the exception.

chrome100 Wed 05-Aug-15 11:09:17

I went to a spa the other week. There was a hen do there. A couple of the larger girls were wearing some kind of swimming cloak thing, presumably to cover up, but to be honest it just made them stand out more. Just be yourself, no one cares.

AuntyMag10 Wed 05-Aug-15 11:09:25

People will look but so what! wear it and enjoy wearing it.

BrianButterfield Wed 05-Aug-15 12:20:23

Also: most people looked better in colour than black.

Mulligrubs Wed 05-Aug-15 12:22:25

Most people have some stretchmarks - fat, thin, young, old, men, women - so go for it, wear your bikini!

LegoComplex Wed 05-Aug-15 12:52:44

I will do! Thank you mumsnet hurrah for stretch marks grin

MamaLazarou Wed 05-Aug-15 13:12:32

Yeah man - bikinis and beaches and holidays are for everyone.

bluecoconutglittercat Wed 05-Aug-15 14:53:37

The other option is to wear a Tankini, that you can roll up the top when you lie down. Also be careful with your skin as new stretch marks burn easily.
But I agree with the others. Wear whatever you want to.

Sodder Wed 05-Aug-15 15:05:04

Also: most people looked better in colour than black.

Ain't that the truth. No one looks thinner in a bikini so it's pointless buying a black one in the hope that it'll be slimming and if pasty, black doesn't do any favours.

MintJulip Wed 05-Aug-15 15:15:37

stretch marks here too, had them from simply growing when young, not bad, and if I am in good nic they dont make me look anything other than normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now