Talk

Advanced search

To not invite my mum along with my dd and I to our girly london day out, to see wicked

(41 Posts)
kandykat Tue 04-Aug-15 22:57:34

Dd age 8, told mum that us two are off for a day out in london, and we are going to see wicked.

My mum was all, I wanted to see that
And got in a bit of a huff about it

But I wanted to have a special day with my girl
And if mum was there too, I know what would happen mum would start talking to me constantly and it would mainly end up as adult chat with dd tagging along

TenThousandSpoons Tue 04-Aug-15 22:59:44

Yanbu

Bluecheese22 Tue 04-Aug-15 23:00:56

Stick to your guns! Sounds like your dad is really excited about it so don't let her be the odd one out. You & your mum can do something s separate day... Mum & daughter time is important, especially when you're both!

Bluecheese22 Tue 04-Aug-15 23:01:23

Dd not dad!

kandykat Tue 04-Aug-15 23:06:52

Last time I took dd to disney on ice, she got in a huff about that too, and said next time she wants to come, and invited herself.
So she thinks I should have invited her

She would just end up going on and on to me, and wanting gossipy adult chats
When I just want to spend the time giving dd lots of attention esp as she has a baby/toddler sibling

WickedCrip Tue 04-Aug-15 23:16:39

I wanted to go and see wicked for years but couldn't get it sorted for various reasons. My parents went. I didn't invite myself along. I said I hoped they had a great time and I'd heard it was brilliant, let me know how it is.
Because sometimes family do things without other family members. YADNBU.

Wicked is one of the best shows I've ever seen and I loved it (hence the wicked in my username) - have a fab time OP!

MrsKitty Tue 04-Aug-15 23:18:17

Your mother needs to get over herself. YANBU.

PotOfYoghurt Tue 04-Aug-15 23:20:10

YANBU.

Wicked is my favourite show, you and your DD will have a blast.

Fishwives Tue 04-Aug-15 23:23:03

Wicked has only two good songs, but YANBU at all. Have fun.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 04-Aug-15 23:25:28

YANBU. All mothers are different. Only you know whether yours would take over the outing, as described above, or not.

I have 3 DCs and it's lovely to sometimes spend a day, or even just a few hours, with just one of them. YANBU to be looking forward to that.

PixieChops Tue 04-Aug-15 23:26:01

I think it's a lovely thing to do with your dd and I agree it's so important to have time just the two of you together. I'm incredibly close to my mum as when I was little we only had each other but we did special things together as and when we could afford to and still do now. Your mum is BU and you'll just have to tell her that it's just a day for you and dd and that you can all spend time together another day.

PiperChapstick Tue 04-Aug-15 23:27:43

YANBU. And I'm very jealous I LOVE Wicked!

susiedaisy Tue 04-Aug-15 23:27:45

Yanbu

ProcrastinatorGeneral Tue 04-Aug-15 23:28:01

Sometimes the time you can spend 1:1 with your family members is just too precious to let dramallamas mess with it. Enjoy your theatre trip with your daughter smile

0x530x610x750x630x79 Tue 04-Aug-15 23:30:17

It sounds like your mum would like some special time with her dd.
Does she get much time with her dd?

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Tue 04-Aug-15 23:32:16

Sorry but that's MY mum your talking about op! Give her back! or not
I just let her come now tbh. It makes life easier. My mum does make a fuss of dd though.

ImperialBlether Tue 04-Aug-15 23:33:40

Maybe you shouldn't tell her until afterwards and say it was the spur of the moment?

happygirl87 Tue 04-Aug-15 23:39:15

YANBU

BUT

I have a win win solution....take your Mum and take me! Me and your Mum can gossip while you have time with DD, and I get to see Wicked again grin

Spinningplates10 Tue 04-Aug-15 23:42:56

No I think you'll find that's MY mum you've describedgrin especially the bit about her talking constantly and it turning into an adults thing.

I am close to her and she can be great but ive had to tell her in the past that sometimes I/We like to do things with just the DC. We do invite her to some things, she just needs to realise that she can't expect to be included in every outing.

Yanbu at all op!

StetsonsAreCool Tue 04-Aug-15 23:49:33

Yanbu, I can't wait to do this with DD.

Yabu, however, to not invite the whole of MN's Wicked fans. That's just cruel.

envy < me, channeling my inner Elphaba, and being jealous all at the same time.

Minicaters Wed 05-Aug-15 01:21:55

YANBU. But any chance you could splash out on tickets for your mum separately, for christmas?

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Wed 05-Aug-15 01:27:10

My mum expects to be and can't handle not being included in Every. Single. Thing. Even if it is something she has no interest in. Then she takes a zillion hours to get ready and we end up being late.

Luckily we live about 4000 miles away so I only have to deal with it a few days a year grin

TheMaddHugger Wed 05-Aug-15 03:42:47

((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))

You are NOT being Unreasonable

EmberElftree Wed 05-Aug-15 04:48:50

Hearts, your mum is my mum! Kandy, enjoy your day out just with dd, you can see your mum another time for an adult chat - I'd love to see wicked.

Meanandlow Wed 05-Aug-15 08:19:02

Yanbu

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now