Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else really interested in Genealogy and Ancestory.

(20 Posts)
JeanieGold Tue 04-Aug-15 21:25:19

My name is Jean but thats just a coincidence, I took a genetic ancestory test and my ancestory is 35% French 50% Germanic and 2% Scandanavian, 7% celtic, 1% Eastern european, 5% Southern Europe and balkan.

It really is facisnating to me, it tells you the eye colours, hair colours that are dominent in my family.

Anyone else interested.

JeanieGold Tue 04-Aug-15 21:31:41

Anyone

MagpieCursedTea Tue 04-Aug-15 21:36:24

I'd love to do that test! I find it fascinating. My Dad was adopted and I've traced his birth family tree online. It's quite addictive once you get started.
The test is quite expensive though isn't it?

PurpleBananaPie Tue 04-Aug-15 21:39:45

I'm interested in tracing my family tree and finding out about my ancestors that way, I'm not interested in those tests. They are very expensive and how on earth can they tell with any certainty that you are 1% easten European?

YeOldeTrout Tue 04-Aug-15 21:51:35

which test, Jeanie? I am on FTDNA & have had a few.

Eva50 Tue 04-Aug-15 21:59:45

I have been working on our family tree for a while now. I find it incredibly addictive. I would love to have the blood test but couldnt afford it at the moment. A high percentage of me must be Scottish as we have been here for generations but I have discovered my dads ancestors came from Ireland originally. It would be great to know more.

steff13 Tue 04-Aug-15 22:02:00

I am. I took the Ancestry test. I am American born and raised, but my ancestry is:

54% Great Britain
22% Western European
11% Scandanavian
6% Italy/Greece
4% Ireland
2% Middle East
<1% Russian
<1% Iberian Penninsula

The interesting thing is, on my mother's side of the family, I can trace my roots back to some of the earliest settlers in the US. I did my lineage on that side far enough back to be able to join the DAR. But, my dad's paternal grandparents were born in Germany; his dad was the first member of his family born in the US. My maternal grandfather is the same thing; his grandparents on both sides came here from Germany. So I'm surprised that Western European is not more prevalent in my roots. I thought sure it was going to say: 80% German. smile

JeannieGold, what test did you take? It sounds more comprehensive than mine. I know National Geographic is doing a huge project right now where they're doing tests and collecting results.

LunchpackOfNotreDame Tue 04-Aug-15 22:03:09

I find it fascinating but my family tree tells me all I need to know. Can't get more English!

WaitingForFrostyMornings Tue 04-Aug-15 22:08:35

I'd love to do one of those tests. My Dad and Maternal Grandfather are both adopted so it would be fantastic to find out where I come from grin

Capricorn76 Tue 04-Aug-15 22:17:40

I took a test and I'm 1% Neanderthal! DH loved it when I showed him the results - lots of piss taking. I'm getting him a kit.

Anniesaunt Tue 04-Aug-15 22:17:45

Would love to do the test. I've done a lot of work on my family tree.

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 04-Aug-15 22:23:19

I'd love to get my parents to do it because they're both from a tiny geographical area (different counties) and have a handful of relatives from anywhere else.

kimistayingalive Tue 04-Aug-15 23:34:20

I do family history and have been (trying) to trace my roots with some success.

Dowser Tue 04-Aug-15 23:37:07

Never heard of this test. I thought I was more Scottish but I've now found three arms of my. Immediate family are from Ireland!

That was a real shock!

Gymbob Wed 05-Aug-15 00:04:53

that test sounds amazing. can you please tell me the cost and the accuracy of the figures you have quoted?

YeOldeTrout Wed 05-Aug-15 09:33:31

Which test are you guys talking about?

PurpleBananaPie Wed 05-Aug-15 10:11:19

There are lots of companies offering these tests, this is just one.

At £189 its definitely not cheap and I really cant see the point of them. I don't need to pay nearly £200 to find out some of my ancestors from hundreds of years ago possibly came from Germany/France/Eastern Europe etc

YeOldeTrout Wed 05-Aug-15 10:22:49

mmm... I think FTDNA might be somewhat better, you can get the cousins-test for $100 often in their summer sales. Problem is that you end up with double-triple cousins so tracing the actual connection can be tricky.
I impulsively got mt-DNA done & it's useless, honest. Very hard to link up to anyone else.

I know my family history back 200 yrs mostly, From what I knew I already worked out that I'm 70% English, 25% Celtic & 5% other/mostly Germanic. Since there are 1400+ individuals in my tree, it feels more genuine & reliable than a test based on 1400 modern samples who themselves must be quite all mixed up.

kungfupannda Wed 05-Aug-15 10:23:40

I would treat these tests with a large pinch of salt. I think they're more for fun than for serious genealogical information.

I've done a vast amount of research into my family history, and a large chunk of my writing work is for a genealogy magazine, and these tests aren't usually taken very seriously. As I understand it, the results are just one possible interpretation of the big mix of shared DNA due to common ancestry. There are some tests that provide more specific information and are useful in terms of trying to prove a common ancestor for different families that might be connected.

You'd be far better off doing the research and putting together a family tree that will let you find solid facts about the real people who contributed to your genetic make-up. Much more satisfying in the long run!

YeOldeTrout Wed 05-Aug-15 19:07:04

Besides, it isn't just genetic makeup that you inherit. Some enthusiastic collaborators are adopted in to the family, but they inherited the mentality & social outlook or advantages, etc. The history & culture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now