Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think that our lack of imagination means we are missing opportunity.

(9 Posts)
Sothisishowitfeels Tue 04-Aug-15 19:33:20

Dh and I are and always have been stable average lack of imagination people.

We met at school , went to uni, got married, worked had kids and started our own company in a very careful way grin

Our relationship is wonderful we have 5 (nearly 6) beautiful children and yet we both know that our caution has caused us to miss out on so many opportunities.

We are living comfortably BUT each month is a stress and a struggle because we earn just enough, so no savings, no home of our own (we rent) and no car either (avoiding paying out more than we can afford ).

At work we know that two of our employees take more money to keep than they actually earn but again we are stranded in a sea of what ifs!

Dh alone earns more than enough to support us but he ends up using what he earns to cover wages and rent etc.

We have both been dancing around the idea of change for example dh working from home on his own and getting rid of the company totally BUT we are hampered by a total lack of imagination.

The most important things are dh works 14 hour days ATM which is a little much and we would love a house or some sort of permanent place to call our own.

I'm not crazy am I being careful and doing the "right" thing is not serving us well us it?

redshoeblueshoe Tue 04-Aug-15 19:48:53

So jump into the unknown - go on I dare you

FarFromAnyRoad Tue 04-Aug-15 19:55:21

So take a dive - and if the water's too cold go back to the safe and steady but unfulfilling! You really really don't want to be lying on your death bed giving thanks for never having taken a chance!

Atenco Tue 04-Aug-15 19:56:12

No real advice, but don't be so hard on yourselves. I'm not certain how much you do actually lack imagination as founding a business and getting it off its feet is no mean feat, IMHO, and is not done without imagination.

I have let an awful lot of opportunities slip through my fingers because I am not very spontaneous, but the world has to be made up of lots of different people and I'm sure my lack of spontaneity has also saved me from some dreadful disasters.

DoJo Tue 04-Aug-15 20:16:08

At work we know that two of our employees take more money to keep than they actually earn but again we are stranded in a sea of what ifs!

Does this meant that you are paying them more than they bring into the business? Because in that case, surely the 'what ifs' all leave you better off?!

MintJulip Tue 04-Aug-15 20:16:12

Your cautious, you have lots of mouths to feed. I know what you mean however, I know we would also be far better off if we have some brain storming sessions but DH cant do it, and my brain wont work alone hmm

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Tue 04-Aug-15 23:54:49

I think starting your own company and having 6 kids is very imaginative!

I think you need to clear your minds of your preconceptions about yourselves.

Do some really positive brainstorming and write some pros and cons lists.

You sound great and you don't have to go from one extreme to the other, but you do sound like you're ready for a bit of calculated risk.

Cabrinha Wed 05-Aug-15 00:06:26

Is the issue imagination or attitude to risk?
You must have some imagination to be self employed in the first place!

You're also more of a financial risk taker than you perceive yourself as, having 6 kids!

I don't understand you saying your husband earns enough to support you, but it isn't enough as he has to pay rent...? Contradictory?

Does he have somewhere to go for small business advice? On the face of it, he needs to let go of the two employees who cost more than they bring in. Sounds like current business needs an overhaul rather than just moving on from it. Even if he wants to try something different, sorting out the employee situation could give him a better business to sell on, if appropriate, and valuable experience.

pinkdelight Wed 05-Aug-15 12:23:27

Nothing stable and average about having six kids and running your own business! I'd shift the way you think of yourselves and see that you're perfectly capable of taking risks and making sure things work out. Saying you have a lack of imagination is only hemming yourselves in needlessly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now