Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about the builder's bill?

(17 Posts)
Sallygoroundthemoon Tue 04-Aug-15 17:45:28

I've got an issue that I'd like to run by the MN jury before replying. I've just had some minor work done on the house. I agreed with the builder that he would just charge for his time and it was estimated at about 1 1/2 days work, maybe 1, maybe 2 he wasn't sure. He arrived at 9 on Thursday and left at 2.30 that day then worked 9 to 3/3.30 on Friday so I would figure this to be a day and a half (total was 12 hours tops). However, he has billed me for 2 full days work. He is a lovely man and I don't want to get into a row but I'm on a very tight budget and was thinking of going back to him to say as he didn't work 2 full days would he be able to do a couple of hours short jobs to make it up to the 2 on the invoice. He lives locally so it is not as though he has to travel miles. However, I might be being very unreasonable. I just don't know. I wasn't here and if I had I would have given him more to do to take it up to 2 days if I knew that's what he would do. He is expensive (but very good) so it is not a small amount of money. Thanks. AIBU?

backtowork2015 Tue 04-Aug-15 17:47:59

if you've got a good builder I'd keep him on side, they are worth their weight in gold.

ButterflyUpSoHigh Tue 04-Aug-15 17:49:59

I would say that was 2 days going by the hours our builders did when doing our extension.

Sallygoroundthemoon Tue 04-Aug-15 17:51:18

That's actually a very good point backtowork2015. He is very trustworthy and would not be trying to screw me over. It's just more than I expected.

Doraydiego Tue 04-Aug-15 17:51:50

That is almost 2 full days though, it is not a day and a half. Did he take long breaks? Did he have to go out for materials?

PHANTOMnamechanger Tue 04-Aug-15 17:52:06

sorry but that sounds par for the course in terms of the lenght of 'full days' builders etc usually put in. Unless he took off and disappered for a long lunch too? when we had our extension done they usually worked about 8.30-3ish, with breaks.

PHANTOMnamechanger Tue 04-Aug-15 17:53:35

remember too that some of his work time on your job might have been 'off site' buying materials en route etc

Sallygoroundthemoon Tue 04-Aug-15 17:55:35

Thanks. I accept that AIBU smile and will happily pay the bill. I guess I always think of a full days work as being 8 hours (including a break, usually 8 - 4 for builders) rather than 6 hours (with a short break for lunch) but I will let it go and make sure I understand more about their working hours before I book someone, so I'm not surprised again.

BoyScout Tue 04-Aug-15 17:57:46

Our builders worked 8 til about 3-4 but had a lunch break.

It's very near to 2 days so not worth falling out with him about, if he's good and trustworthy.

DameMargaretOfChalfont Tue 04-Aug-15 18:50:14

Did your builder have to go off site to buy goods/equipment?

If so this time is also billable.

MadamArcatiAgain Tue 04-Aug-15 20:18:56

Yes as others have said he would have had to collect materials at some point. 5 Also he may have reached a point where he had to stop and let thing dry?

JazzAnnNonMouse Wed 05-Aug-15 08:45:13

Builders days tend to be a bit shorter/more breaks because it's hard manual work

patterkiller Wed 05-Aug-15 09:00:21

Even if they arrived with materials they would of had to build the time they have to get stuff at some point, travel time has to be paid for at some point.

Mermaidhair Wed 05-Aug-15 09:03:57

You have made the right decision:-)

whatarethose Wed 05-Aug-15 09:07:03

Builders do a lot more behind the scenes than just turning up and doing the job. I'm glad you're paying though, like someone said up thread if you've got a good builder, keep them on side.

kilmuir Wed 05-Aug-15 09:07:36

its not 2 days work. I would probably pay this time, but next time ask him what his day rate is based on.

paulapantsdown Wed 05-Aug-15 09:10:53

If he finished the actual work you agreed then I don't understand what the problem is really? For example, if it was raining heavily one of the days and therefore the bricks (or whatever) couldn't be laid, and he had to come back the next day to finish off what couldn't be finished in the rain ... would you have paid him a third day? No, you wouldn't, as you were paying him to complete a job. He should not have agreed a day rate pay if there was a specific job to finish, thats poor practice on his part. But it swings and roundabouts and a bit of give and take needed here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now