Advanced search

To ask if anyone on here has direct experience of parish councils?

(12 Posts)
Flossyfloof Tue 04-Aug-15 12:48:21

Just that really, I have a concern about the conduct of a couple of parish councillors ( to do with parish business, not personal) but I a, not sure if I have a valid complaint.

MehsMum Tue 04-Aug-15 12:55:47

The rules covering parish councillors are pretty strict. This might help you see if you have grounds for for a complaint.

sadwidow28 Tue 04-Aug-15 12:58:00

Read this first.

If that doesn't help, then ask your question and I'll see if I can advise.

Flossyfloof Tue 04-Aug-15 13:05:59

Thanks, very useful. I am concerned that a cncillor is acting outside the remit of a sub committee of which they are a member. Not yet been able to get hold of information regarding this committee's remit so I can't really say more at the moment.

Bohemond Tue 04-Aug-15 13:30:03

You could contact the district council. They often have a liaison person that might be able to help. Is it planning related?

GoodGollyMissMollyItsQuiet Tue 04-Aug-15 13:50:14

I was a parish councillor a few years back and they are very strict on abiding by the rules and you sign documents regarding it.

Flossyfloof Tue 04-Aug-15 17:55:31

It is kind of planning related but not exactly, not house building anyway. A couple of councillors have a bee in their bonnets about an issue. The PC have placed adverts in the local magazine asking if people are interested. It seems that the response has been pretty lukewarm as the person concerned has apparently been knocking on doors to try to drum up support. I don't think that they should be going this far. I am not sure though. I very much doubt if it has been agreed by the council as a whole that this person, who is fairly new on the council, proceed in this way.
Sorry if I am sounding cryptic, I obviously don't want to give too much information!

MaximumVolume Tue 04-Aug-15 18:00:20

Can you speak to the parish clerk? I think it is their job to deal with issues like this.

Toocold Tue 04-Aug-15 18:05:39

Me, I am a parish clerk and over see all legal things amongst all the other random stuff I do, it really depends on what it is, you could ask to see a copy of the minutes from the meeting that agreed for them to act independently. Your first port of call should be the town or parish clerk as they are legally bound to remain independent of the council despite being employed by them. I hope that made sense?, they would have signed a declaration of interest when they started.

Toocold Tue 04-Aug-15 18:09:46

Cross post with Maximum

sadwidow28 Tue 04-Aug-15 20:08:11

The PC have placed adverts in the local magazine asking if people are interested

You need the minutes of the meeting where the matter was discussed and it was agreed that an advert would be placed in the local magazine.

However, just because there was little feedback to the advert does not preclude your Parish Councillors from knocking on doors to explain the matter further and solicit support. If this is the case, they are not acting independently, they are supporting the matters of the Parish Council.

Flossyfloof Wed 05-Aug-15 19:00:20

That's really helpful, that's very much. I asked the Clerk if I could have a meeting a while ago; they have been very helpful but I just haven't got around to contacting them again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: