Talk

Advanced search

To go back to the dentist?

(2 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Tue 04-Aug-15 09:26:22

Sigh sigh.

It's a bottom tooth with a white filling in the centre/top and a small old silver filling on the side. It has been a bit of a pain for some time. The last time it was filled I was advised that the filling would not last long and would need a crown shortly. That was 8 years ago.

In the last six months or so the tooth has been temperamental. It never quite gets to the point of the hot stabby throbby pain of an abscess, but it does throb intermittently in a sort of low-level painful way which is like that throbby abscess feeling. It is uncomfortable to eat on but not usually outright painful. Hot and cold drinks intensify the throbby/painy feeling as does eating sweet food like chocolate. I also have a low-level ear/throat ache on that side (although that is not necessarily down to that).

If you're wondering why I haven't been to the dentist, I have. He says the xray doesn't show anything. He did say that he would look underneath if I wanted him to but there might be nothing there and then it would have to be crowned rather than filled which would be a shame if there was nothing wrong.

So I have left it to see if it all settled down after a dentist said there was nothing there (am great believer in the power of authority and also a colossal coward ) but I don't think it has.

So. WIBU to go back to the dentist and ask him to take out the fillings in the tooth and have a look?

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 04-Aug-15 09:55:32

No, it's your tooth. It's causing you pain, it can probably be fixed.

You can ask him to do whatever you like, you are a paying customer.

Obviously, you have o accept that there might not be an easy fix and it could cost quite a lot for a crown. But it's your mouth, your choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now