Talk

Advanced search

to ask what is the best bargain/find you have got from a charity shop/freecycle/ebay/car boot etc?

(73 Posts)
steiner8 Mon 03-Aug-15 16:33:54

Love to hear your stories! My best find is probably collectable West German pottery (fat lava), going for £1 each in a charity shop.

GourmetGold Mon 03-Aug-15 17:04:32

Love these stories too! Recently I got 2 Karen Millen cardigans for £3.99 each, an M&S 'autograph' leather boho style handbag for £6 and a real pashmina for £4 in a PDSA charity shop. Back in the winter I got lovely camel coloured Principles winter coat, looked unworn, fitted perfectly, for £15, from same shop.
Just bought a white Singer Featherweight sewing machine with all bits & bobs, instructions, case etc, great condition, for £60 on Gumtree..there is one for £500 on Ebay at the moment!

whothehellknows Mon 03-Aug-15 17:10:18

I got a complete travel system on ebay for £1, in perfect nick. The colourway wouldn't have been my first choice, but it did the job nicely.

Charley50 Mon 03-Aug-15 17:12:15

I got a lovely dining table on eBay for 99p.

Elisheva Mon 03-Aug-15 17:16:09

I bought an original boxed Power Ranger for £5 at a baby market meaning to give it to DS for Xmas, sold it for £85 on ebay which paid for all his presents smile

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Mon 03-Aug-15 17:20:42

My wedding dress. It was £99 including delivery on ebay. It was stunning and came with a matching bolero jacket. No one could believe how much I paid, maybe because the tag attached when it arrived said £750! I was so lucky to get it from a bridal shop that was closing down, it was perfect, didn't even need dry cleaning.

dodobookends Mon 03-Aug-15 17:23:39

I paid £2 for a couple of old dolls and some clothes at a car boot. They sold at auction for £165.

Bluecarrot Mon 03-Aug-15 17:24:12

Was in a charity shop and someone tried to donate a bike but they couldn't take it as they had no room. I offered to buy it and the guy said I could just have it. Then he asked if I fancied a coffee... Ended up dating him for a few months before he moved away for uni. grin

Bundle of baby clothes- about 50 things that were on bogof and reduced to between 50p and £1. Girl looked at my armful and said... "Um £5..." Was all gap, next etc. I did donate all pieces back again after ds outgrew them though!
Same shop different day, 2 electric medala breastpumps, steriliser, box of cloth nappies, a travel system and baby bath for £5.
They have had cots and mattresses still in wrapping for £10.

The place gets so much stuff they sell it off really cheap but you need to be prepared to hoke about. It's iften literally chucked in a corner and more stuff chucked on top.

Custardmiteofglut Mon 03-Aug-15 17:26:34

A pair of hardly worn nude Armani stiletto shoes. They were £35 and are beautiful. They go with everything and I bloody love them.

BeachyKeen Mon 03-Aug-15 17:30:33

Actually just last week I found a gorgeous brown leather hand bag, for 2$. It didnt have a price marked on it, so I almost didn't get it, thinking it was going to be at least 30 or 35. I brought it up to the counter, and asked the price. When the gentleman said "A toonie will do" shock I bought it so fast I left scorch marks on the till.grin

EsmereldaPB Mon 03-Aug-15 17:32:26

A pair of unworn ugg boots for £10

PickaPengy Mon 03-Aug-15 17:39:03

A Pure One Mini Radio (worth £45 brand new) for £6 in a charity shop. It looked like it had been never used, in pristine condition, still with the instructions. I was almost hyperventilating when I spotted it and it seemed perfect timing as I had been after a decent radio for the kitchen for a while. Had no cash on me so rushed to a cashpoint and then rushed back to buy it. Use it every day and it has great sound

bilbodog Mon 03-Aug-15 17:49:05

i got a used Mulberry handbag for £130 on Ebay and love it - I am going to use it for ever and ever...................

itsmeitscathy Mon 03-Aug-15 17:50:12

£7 brand new daks handbag. I gave more as I think they didn't realise its value.

mytitiferssungtheirsong Mon 03-Aug-15 17:50:24

When my local charity shop was selling everything for a pound
.....leather jacket and alberta feretti suit! I have lots more as am huge charity fan but real mulberry handbag for £50 still my bestsmile

Bellebella Mon 03-Aug-15 17:53:10

I buy a lot of kid things from charity stores. We bought the fisher price jump and spin zebra for £2 and I got DS a gorgeous leather jacket for £1.50

StandoutMop Mon 03-Aug-15 17:55:07

Sadly round here all the charity shops eBay the good donations, so are full of primary and asda t shirts for £2.50.

Did get a beautiful pink lampshade for a few pounds though, just need a lamp to put it on now grin

pressanykeytobegin Mon 03-Aug-15 18:01:03

Brand new boden dresses for £10 each!

duckbilled Mon 03-Aug-15 18:17:15

I got a brand new mamas and papas toy from my local shop for 50p. I was in the shop last week and it was £26!

susiella Mon 03-Aug-15 18:50:21

I got a bed from Ebay for £4. A lovely old fashioned one with springs.

PageNotFound404 Mon 03-Aug-15 18:52:49

A Radley handbag for £15 in a charity shop. I'd been after one in the style for months but couldn't afford the £99 RRP. It was even a nice neutral colour so goes with everything.

MiaowTheCat Mon 03-Aug-15 19:07:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pasturesgreen Mon 03-Aug-15 19:12:27

Valentino top I got in a charity shop in Henley a few years ago for £8. This is probably my best ever find. To think I didn't even want to go in, it was my DM who insisted grin

MaccaPaccaismyNemesis Mon 03-Aug-15 19:17:12

Picked up a mamas and papas highchair that's like the Tripp trapp this week. £7.99 and cost £100 new. Just need a new baby for it now!

scarlets Mon 03-Aug-15 19:25:36

DH picked up a rugby player's autobiography from a pile of books in a stately home, where you leave £1 in an honesty box, or another book in its place. He did the former. A week later, having read it, he stuck it on eBay for £2.50 and when he checked three days later, just before it ended, a bidding war had broken out. It eventually sold for £39. Apparently it was rare.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: