Talk

Advanced search

To let DD play on her kindle, minecraft all day

(12 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Mon 03-Aug-15 15:08:37

I am tired. I woke up at 3am, coudlnt get back to sleep and had to be at work for six, mad rush cleaning job, ok, back at 8.30 but then the bedhead sets in. Have done two loads of washing, the washing up, tidying (epic) and hoovering. Now sat mnetting and playing cookie jam. I am enjoying being on the computor. DD is enjoying being on the kindle. I'm a bit broke as trying to get some money together to go camping so putting swimming off til later in the week.

Im a bad parent aren't i?

I should be taking for on the walk she doesn't want to go on, making her bake the blackberry cake she doesn't want to bake or build the lego world neither of us can be arsed to do.

She is 10 btw and in minecraft heaven. Still, i feel bad.

JeanSeberg Mon 03-Aug-15 15:17:02

It's one day! Relax and enjoy it, hopefully you're back in your pyjamas!

ChilliMum Mon 03-Aug-15 15:22:07

If it makes you feel any better I did the same last week. I had a stack of jobs that I had been putting off so we could make cakes, junk model, paint a mural etc..

My 2 (9 and 4) spent a whole day in their pj's played on their tablets and watched movies. I felt a bit rotten at the time but they had a great day we are still talking about it this week "mum remember the day we didn't get dressed". No harm done and I felt a lot better afterwards.

TattyDevine Mon 03-Aug-15 15:26:07

Mine have been doing similar most of today as I've been packing for a holiday. I'm about to take them to the skate park for a bit so they can burn some energy and I have an errand to do but they'll probably be back on them by the end of the day whilst I carry on with my packing and organising.

Its not ideal, but we are going on holiday on Friday and there won't be any tablets or Minecraft, they'll be doing "Daddy boot camp" which is what we call going on holiday with my husband, who has them running up sand dunes, up at the crack of dawn fishing and walking places and generally running them ragged, so it evens out!

TheRealMaryMillington Mon 03-Aug-15 15:26:54

Kids need downtime, lazy days, days off. So do parents.

So long as you both do some other stuff sometimes, doesn't need to be wholesome and improving either, then I think there is no greater pleasure than not leaving the house and generally kicking back.

Lose the guilt and enjoy.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 03-Aug-15 15:30:36

Actually I would think you were a "bad parent" if you didn't have random days in the holidays where your dd can just chill and enjoy technology.

Hulababy Mon 03-Aug-15 15:31:23

Its school holidays. Its one day. It won't harm them.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 03-Aug-15 15:31:27

Thankyou smile it is probably making me even more lethargic, i might just push the dog off the sofa and have a little kip!

howabout Mon 03-Aug-15 15:32:41

This would be my 12 year old's idea of heaven. She is the laziest specimen on the planet but from about age 10 onwards if I left her to her own devices long enough eventually she started getting out her drawing, baking, loom banding etc and suggesting trips out. For her at least this works much better than me initiating stuff and dragging her along.

I agree nothing wrong with a companiable do nothing day. Enjoy!

Altinkum Mon 03-Aug-15 15:33:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Altinkum Mon 03-Aug-15 15:41:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JeanSeberg Mon 03-Aug-15 15:47:33

You don't need to justify it Altinkum. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now