Talk

Advanced search

To not let DS waste nice stickers from a sticker book on the sofa?

(51 Posts)
Mrscog Mon 03-Aug-15 14:40:42

Just sat down to do a nice Usborne sticker book with DS (he's 3.5), we did the first two pages nicely, but then he started putting stickers on the sofa. I've put my foot down and said that sticker book stickers are for the book not for the sofa. I've given him some 'non sticker book stickers' now for him to mess about with but he's going mad about having the book taken away and OBVIOUSLY the stickers I've given him are not as fun as the ones out the book.

Am I super mean and slightly ott about the proper placement of stickers? Or am I setting a good example about doing things 'properly'? I just can't bear to see nice things wasted and modged with!

DoreenLethal Mon 03-Aug-15 14:43:41

You dont put stickers on the sofa: end of.

Theycallmemellowjello Mon 03-Aug-15 14:45:11

If it's going to damage the sofa, fair enough. Otherwise, I wouldn't see it as a waste if he's enjoying playing with them.

onedogatoddlerandababy Mon 03-Aug-15 14:45:36

You've made me smile as I feel exactly the same about it blushgrin

Um I think yabu because I know I was...I give in and let dd (3.6) stick them wherever, I think that's the joy of stickers. Plus it really cheered me up when I walked it the kitchen and little cute dinosaurs looked at me from every kitchen cupboard smile

Mrscog Mon 03-Aug-15 14:47:22

I'm not worried about the sofa - they do no harm and I'm relaxed about that. He's now come and found me to tell me he wants to do 'gluing'. I've suggested we do that outside :D

RealityCheque Mon 03-Aug-15 14:47:24

What the fuck are you allowing ANY stickers on the sofa for?

Just wow.

Mrscog Mon 03-Aug-15 14:48:10

onedog how did you reconcile it with a then empty unloved book on the shelf with no stickers filling the gaps?!

DeladionInch Mon 03-Aug-15 14:48:26

As Doreen said, why would you allow stickers on the sofa? confused

IpsyUpsyDaisyDo Mon 03-Aug-15 14:48:30

Let it go, he doesn't understand or care about it as much as you. I have to sit on my hands when DD (3yo) does her Peppa sticker book - Mummy Pig in her beach swim-suit on the ice-rink scene, it's chaos! grin
It doesn't matter in the long run, it's not important enough to fall out over, just have fun sticking stickers everywhere!

TheHouseOnBellSt Mon 03-Aug-15 14:48:36

I think yabu...what to you is a "nice" sticker book is no different to him than the ones he got free in a comic or whatever.

At his age, the joy is just in the sticking...he doesn't care where. Obviously the sofa is not a good choice...I'd have directed him onto a plain piece of paper. Sometimes they don't like "rule" based crafts.

RealityCheque Mon 03-Aug-15 14:48:52

YABU. Let him doing gluing on the sofa too. Or perhaps the carpet if he needs more room. hmm

mummy0bummy Mon 03-Aug-15 14:48:52

It would depend on my mood TBH. But in general we have one glass door where stickers are allowed and they are banned on all other household surfaces (because I'm the one who gets stuck cleaning them up).

I try not to be TOO uptight about doing things 'properly' though. I reckon it's overrated wink

sticklebrickstickle Mon 03-Aug-15 14:48:58

Not unreasonable to say no stickers on the sofa but if it's his book and thus they're his stickers I think it's unreasonable to tell him he HAS to put them in the book.

In fact I kind of think what's the point of the stickers if they're going nicely in the book? May as well have just bought a ready-illustrated book without stickers if the stickers are just going to look nice in the book.

Stickers are for fun and creativity, putting them in someone else's idea of where they should go is neither fun nor creative, especially if you're only 3.

HSMMaCM Mon 03-Aug-15 14:50:21

I would prefer stickers in the right place, play dough not to be mixed, etc, but in reality the idea is for the child to express themselves and use their motor skills. As long as stickers on the sofa are ok, then let him go ahead. Have a cup of tea to calm down brew.

ThursdayLast Mon 03-Aug-15 14:52:33

Stickers go on our sofa all the time. Luckily they come off well.
If they don't I'd probably be a bit stricter but as it is, it is not one of the battles I choose to engage in grin

Minicaters Mon 03-Aug-15 14:53:12

Whaaat??

No to any stickers on the sofa. Call me anal (many do) but I'd rather have a blanket ban on all such things than expect a 3 year old to understand that certain stickers are allowed but biro and felt tip are not.

Slightly mad to distinguish between usborne stickers and others IMO, but each to their own. My 6 year old only does Lego according to instructions, absolutely no deviation or free form design. To me, you can have too much insistence on the 'proper' way. But maybe if I'd let him put stickers on the sofa he would have a more flexible approach!

Mrscog Mon 03-Aug-15 14:54:04

You're all so right - I'm being uptight and stifling! We're into gluing now (in garden!).

SaucyJack Mon 03-Aug-15 14:54:20

No, YANBU.

I don't knowingly let my DDs trash the house (not that it stops them when I'm not looking mind). Art materials are to be used appropriately or not at all.

Boundaries innit.

mummy0bummy Mon 03-Aug-15 14:54:24

HSMM I so hear you on the playdough! I hate then mixing it, but I never say anything as keeping your toys in mint condition kinda defeats the purpose IMO.

Mrsfrumble Mon 03-Aug-15 14:57:32

Why are people so outraged at the idea of stickers on a sofa? As long as it's not damaging the sofa, of course...

I've learned from experience that my DCs are just not ready to do fancy sticker books "properly" yet, so I've put the ones we've been given to one side for when they're older. Those Usbourne ones are lovely, but aimed at slightly older children I think. I'm fairly relaxed about what they do with cheap stickers, as long as they're not damaging anything. We also have dinosaurs on kitchen cupboards!

Mrscog Mon 03-Aug-15 14:57:51

I allow play doh mixing if the two colours to be mixed are going to make a nice new colour - so blue and yellow mixing is fine. I've overthought all of this haven't I?!

MrsKoala Mon 03-Aug-15 14:59:39

Why no stickers on the sofa? Is it because they don't come off? We allow stickers on our sofa (and the rest of the house) because they come off. We aren't bothered about such things. I did come home one day to find dh had let ds1 scribble all over the walls and kitchen (white) cupboards in brown and blue felt tip. shock He didn't see the problem.

TheHouseOnBellSt Mon 03-Aug-15 15:00:12

MrsFrumble I wouldn't care myself but know loads of people who would. The stick on a sticker is not enough to leave a mark though...so meh.

TheHouseOnBellSt Mon 03-Aug-15 15:00:53

Mrscog but "nice" in whose eyes? grin You might not like mud brown but your DS might love it and they need to learn....

youarekiddingme Mon 03-Aug-15 15:01:54

I wasn't one for interfering in how my DS was being creative.

But I certainly had boundaries such as "stickers on paper" "no drawing on walls" etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now