To think 9 is too young for an i phone!

(130 Posts)
JakieOH Mon 03-Aug-15 11:47:44

Just that! I think it waaaaay too young but AIBU?

DadfromUncle Mon 03-Aug-15 11:49:19

YANBU It is waaaaaay too young - possibly for any mobile, but def for iPhone.

squoosh Mon 03-Aug-15 11:50:14

I agree. A 9 year old does not need an iphone.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 03-Aug-15 11:50:14

9 is too young for any phone, that's my thought anyway.

11 is young enough, we gave ours phones once at secondary school and for when they start to spread their wings and go further afield.

TeddyBear5 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:54:21

Mine do.

As above, they have their child a iPhone for secondary school but we have middle schools in this area so at 9 they walk to the bus stop, bus to school and again for home. (40min journey).

We had old iPhones that used to be mine and DH's so we just got payg sims and popped them in those.

Personally don't see the difference between an iPhone and any other phone but there we go.

pinktrufflechoc Mon 03-Aug-15 11:56:50

Mine has one. I don't have a problem with it.

Pantone363 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:58:35

Mine have them, old iPhones with PAYG sims.

Bof

JakieOH Mon 03-Aug-15 11:59:35

I agree that it's just too too Young for any phone but an expensive 1 like an i phone is just unnecessary! Guess if it's an old one that you have lying around and you feel the child needs one then that's different, but to pay for a new iPhone for a 9 year old shock

At least the child im speaking sbout will be able to sync it with the I pad she got for her 7th birthday hmm

Euphemia Mon 03-Aug-15 12:00:42

DD got my old iPhone4 when she was 11 then her own iPhone5 for her 13th birthday.

She needed to prove she could look after it and not run up a huge bill before she was allowed a decent one!

VacantExpression Mon 03-Aug-15 12:01:35

I agree OP but my 7yo doesn't. We do actually have a couple of old iphones lying about too so if we were to give our kids phones It probably would be iphones with PAYG sims in

MammaTJ Mon 03-Aug-15 12:02:20

Round here they start going to and from school alone age 9. This is because we have a middle school system.

My DD is 9 and has a second hand smart phone, not an iPhone. A few of her friends have better iPhones than me though. Ah well, I don't have to pay for them! grin

Twolittleboyz Mon 03-Aug-15 12:04:14

It's the unrestricted access to the internet that I'd be most concerned about. My ds9 has a samsung tablet but I have strict parental controls on it and he only uses it in the house.

JakieOH Mon 03-Aug-15 12:04:32

But at age 9 confused a brand new I phone?

RJnomore Mon 03-Aug-15 12:04:49

Well it's great they can use the technology but I'd be concerned to make sure they were using it safely and also about the cost of the item if lost or damaged. Dd2 is about to get a brick phone for her 11th birthday to build responsibility.

I have no real issue with it as long as it's properly supervised, doesn't send the family into debt and the child looks after it. Unlike the girls in dds class who were throwing their smart phones off the Tarmac to see how hard it was to smash the screen hmm ds was not amused.

Superexcited Mon 03-Aug-15 12:07:10

My main concern is that they will get mugged if they have a very expensive phone. Mobile phone thefts from 11-15 year olds (boys in particular) is rife, let alone 9 year olds.

JakieOH Mon 03-Aug-15 12:09:01

I should have been clearer, I think 9 is too young to have a mobile but I get that its not a huge deal and if there's an old 1 lying around then cool.

I mean actually going to the shop, stretching your budget and buying an I phone for a 9 year old?

pinktrufflechoc Mon 03-Aug-15 12:09:56

He wanted a phone and I got him one I suppose. I wouldn't judge anybody who didn't get their child a phone of course but I can't think of a good reason why he shouldn't have one to be honest - my house is full of random stuff the DCs took a shine too smile

pinktrufflechoc Mon 03-Aug-15 12:10:14

Why would it stretch a budget?

Theycallmemellowjello Mon 03-Aug-15 12:11:29

I don't really understand what's shocking about this? Mine is much younger so no phones yet, but it's pretty much the norm for everyone to have a smart phone, I doubt it's that unusual for primary age children to have them. I presume there are parental control settings to restrict browsing. Can't see the issue.

squoosh Mon 03-Aug-15 12:12:29

The issue is the price. Why would you spend £500 on a phone for a 9 year old?

VolumniaDedlock Mon 03-Aug-15 12:12:47

i would be nervous about a) unrestricted access to the internet, b) possibility of massive bills, and c) likelihood of early loss/damage

if you can put limits on the first two, and have deep pockets to solve the third issue then away you go.

Vatersay Mon 03-Aug-15 12:14:38

Is it the money or the item? Eg would you be appalled at a 9 year old being bought an expensive bike.

enderwoman Mon 03-Aug-15 12:15:11

Mine has my old one. It seems to be common for his age group to inherit from older siblings/relatives. Considering how many children own iPods, an old PAYG iPhone isn't much different except that it has the ability to call.

Maybe83 Mon 03-Aug-15 12:19:28

My dd got her first phone at about 9. She got an iPhone 4 for her 13 birthday. Would I buy her an brand new iphone at 9? No because she would no doubt have broken it or lost it.

pinktrufflechoc Mon 03-Aug-15 12:19:39

My sons musical instruments cost over £500

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now