Talk

Advanced search

To make you aware you can get your pets medication much MUCH cheaper online

(58 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Mon 03-Aug-15 10:00:25

perfectly legally.

Simply ask your vet to write you a prescription.

For example - Vetmedin 5mg (heart treatment) £60 for a months supply in the vet. £19 online. Metacam 180ml - months supply for large dog approx £80 in bet £23 online. These aren't exact prices but they are roughly what my mum pays out for her dogs meds.

Not all medicines will be cheaper online as there is a prescription cost of about £8 but many are. Your vets wont volunteer this information but will actually happily write you a prescription if you ask.

It isn't about your vets ripping you off, i work for a vets and they cannot buy the meds from the online suppliers, they pay more than the online price.

I don't know why that is but its ridiculous and surely has to stop because A, someone is ripping you off even if its not the vet and B, vets are going to struggle now people are getting wise to this and asking for prescriptions rather than buying the meds from their vet.

There are many companies that sell veterinary medicine online, your vet should be able to point you in the direction of a reputable company.

WorraLiberty Mon 03-Aug-15 10:03:40

My vet surgery are really good and they tell their customers this.

When I was told my dog would have to be on Loxicom for life, due to arthritis, she actually recommended a couple of websites and got them up on her computer screen to show me.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 03-Aug-15 10:07:09

That is good Worra, one of our vets does tell the clients, the others don't say anything unless asked.

WorraLiberty Mon 03-Aug-15 10:29:45

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised and we have saved a ton of money too.

HoneyDragon Mon 03-Aug-15 10:31:30

Depends what your vet charges for a prescription <bitter>

KinkyAfro Mon 03-Aug-15 10:34:05

I couldn't agree more, my dog's monthly tablet bill came to £120 from the vets, now it costs £5 for the prescription and £30 for the tablets.

cardibach Mon 03-Aug-15 10:35:48

This is also true of non-prescription drugs like flea and worm treatments.

ihatethecold Mon 03-Aug-15 10:37:09

Interesting. My dog is on metacam. I haven't had the bill yet!!!
Is it really £80?

TheoriginalLEM Mon 03-Aug-15 10:39:51

ihatecold - it is bloody expensive yes, but that is for the big 180ml bottle usually reserved for bigger dogs.

Honey - it shouldn't be any more than £8 - £12

TheoriginalLEM Mon 03-Aug-15 10:40:41

Cardi - some flea treatments such as advocate need prescriptions though.

HoneyDragon Mon 03-Aug-15 10:41:54

I have to pay for an appointment to get a prescription.

My face on receiving this information --> hmm

cozietoesie Mon 03-Aug-15 10:50:13

That's probably a rule, HoneyDragon. As fas as I know, a vet may not prescribe unless the animal is 'under their care' or words to that effect - which could mean having seen the animal eg within the last 6 months. (Or possibly even more recently depending on the animal's age and the condition which is being prescribed for.) Failure to abide by that could mean the practice's meds privileges being severely hampered.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 03-Aug-15 10:57:42

Honeydragon - what was the prescription for? Was it a repeat prescription? A vet can only legally prescribe a medication for 6 months after seeing the animal (makes sense if there are likely to be any changes) for most prescription meds. Things like advocate etc this can be "under their care" and this can be achieved by the animal being registered with the practice and having an apppointment with a nurse for which their is no charge.

Shetland Mon 03-Aug-15 11:02:22

My vet told me this - she said they just couldn't compete with the online price. DDog needs lifetime meds though, I've never been told about it for one off things.

cardibach Mon 03-Aug-15 11:08:28

I know LEM - but I was adding the info that tuff you might just buy from the vet for convenience is cheaper on line. It's not really relevant that some need a prescription.

Mrsjayy Mon 03-Aug-15 11:11:56

Our vets dont6 to charge the earth for medication but my friend uses another vet and they seem to cost a fortune . Although our vets have a poster up for an online pet pharmacy so i guess they are spreading the word. I love our vets they are great

TheoriginalLEM Mon 03-Aug-15 11:14:41

Of course it is relevant. Especially as those are the flea preparations that work. Frontline doesn't need a prescription, which is all well and good, but it doesn;t work anymore.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 03-Aug-15 11:16:11

I do take your point though, many things don't need a prescription.

sadwidow28 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:18:51

Thanks for this information. My 16 yr old DDog is on Loxicom for arthritis. I am currently paying £68 for a large bottle (£37.25 on line). I know what I am going to do now.

Mrsjayy Mon 03-Aug-15 11:19:27

When jaycat was alive her metacalm wasnt that expensive

TheoriginalLEM Mon 03-Aug-15 11:22:39

not so expensive for cats mrsjayy as they don't need so much, my mums dog weighs 60kg so you can imagine he needs bucket loads, poor thing.

Mrsjayy Mon 03-Aug-15 11:25:50

True a teeny tiny cat is different your poor mums dog m6st need gallons

ThursdayLast Mon 03-Aug-15 11:28:22

My parents changed vet for exactly this reason - and they have a herd of dairy cows to look after so it makes even more sense!

CelibacyCakeAndFuckThePO Mon 03-Aug-15 11:31:39

Frontline doesn't work if your dog has had it over a long period.of time

My dog has had various treatments.including advocat, occasionally i'll buy Frontline to save some money - still works perfectly fine in my experience at least (2 cats and a dog, flea free house)

Tuskerfull Mon 03-Aug-15 11:36:24

YANBU. I did my research around flea treatment and I was shocked at the difference. My vets charge £9 for a prescription but I still save over £30 each quarter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now