To think White Dee has forgotten herself

(40 Posts)
Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 03-Aug-15 00:43:42

in response to her supporting the Tories on their benefit cuts. Correct me if I am wrong but has she not seen enough poor days herself by way of claiming benefits. Yes I know she was ill and no one with a mental health condition should ever be forced or expected work unless of course they want to with ample support. But should she not be more understanding than anyone.
Very easy for her to say Oh yes cut their money (when incidentally she is a now very well off). As this will encourage The unemployed to "go and get a job".
Now please believe me I do not mind anyone getting on.
But bettering oneself is one thing. Forgetting oneself is quite another.

RagstheInvincible Mon 03-Aug-15 00:47:51

Who?

GarminGirl Mon 03-Aug-15 09:58:00

Which 'cuts' are you referring to?

You can have claimed benefits before and agree with changes to the system!!

RachelRagged Mon 03-Aug-15 10:01:32

White Dee, Rags, from the first Benefits Street series.

YANBU OP .. Can't stand the Z Lister .

GarminGirl Mon 03-Aug-15 10:05:54

Well is there a link?

RachelRagged Mon 03-Aug-15 10:07:14

I imagine not sure its cuts in DLA (or whatever name it now has) she means.

Great when she claimed it though for depression she appeared to get over once offers came in of freebies. I have had depression so not having a dig (never claimed benefits for it though)

Im not benefit bashing here, I was on benefits for a long while till I was lucky enough to secure a part time job.

SaucyJack Mon 03-Aug-15 10:16:11

I'm sure she does understand what it means to be caught in the benefits trap. It's just that she thinks differently to you as to what the best means of tackling the problem is.

Some people think carrot. Some people think stick.

GarminGirl Mon 03-Aug-15 10:36:38

Ooh rachel what freebies did she get? What are they cutting DLA to?

PtolemysNeedle Mon 03-Aug-15 10:41:31

I haven't heard anything from white dee for ages, but maybe, as someone who has been in her position and known many other people who live on benefits, she's able to make a fair judgement.

She's allowed an opinion, not everyone who's lived on benefits has to think the same thing. Maybe she's known enough people take advantage of benefits under the labour years to think it's fair that they are no longer so generous.

HoneyDragon Mon 03-Aug-15 10:45:41

But bettering oneself is one thing. Forgetting oneself is quite another

I'm sure it's not what you mean but that does smack of "know your place".

Samcro Mon 03-Aug-15 10:48:06

who is she?
gotta be odd to call your self white dee

ghostyslovesheep Mon 03-Aug-15 11:02:36

No idea who she is

x2boys Mon 03-Aug-15 11:34:36

in the first benefits street there was a white Dee and a black Dee i think they named themselves that?

Bubblesinthesummer Mon 03-Aug-15 11:36:40

What are they cutting DLA to

There are no cuts to DLA (or PIP as it now is)

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 03-Aug-15 12:58:35

Talking about places. I certainly do not think it is "her place" to be looking down on the poor and advocating cuts to people who can just about live as it is.
As it will help them get a job, apparently, well the jobs have to be there. Making people suffer does not make these jobs magically appear. These jobs do not grow on trees.
I wonder would she have been approving these cuts had she not have gone up in the world. I highly doubt it.

tarashill Mon 03-Aug-15 13:21:20

Changing the subject slightly but was the other Dee known as "Black Dee"?

Prelude Mon 03-Aug-15 13:56:33

The lower rate of DLA no longer exists under PIP and the criteria is very different, focusing on physical impairments rather than neurological ones. Many people who were entitled under the old rules cannot claim under the new ones. As many as 60% I think one disability charity said.

There are changes (cuts) to the disability elements of tax credits under U.C too.

paddymcgintysmum Mon 03-Aug-15 14:04:07

How long before she's Lady White Dee in the House of Lords?
Cameron loves a sucker-upper.

Kayden Mon 03-Aug-15 14:10:31

There have already been cuts to DLA by moving it to PIP. They got rid of the lower rate care altogether and increased the mobility requirements. I'm a social worker, so complete countless disability benefit forms and have recently completed a bout of telephone assessments for PIP for those who can't complete their own. The questions are too stringent, they pigeon hole people. It is very, very hard to obtain PIP, even when disability and its impact on an individual's life is patently obvious.

Kayden Mon 03-Aug-15 14:11:13

Sorry, missed Prelude's post, so repeated some info.

Prelude Mon 03-Aug-15 14:12:05

Universal Credit. No group will be affected more than disabled people.

From the Citizen's Advice Bureau

She is a very stupid woman if she believes the Tory rhetoric.

GarminGirl Mon 03-Aug-15 15:42:04

So how has white Dee gone up in the world?

Bubblesinthesummer Mon 03-Aug-15 15:48:20

There have already been cuts to DLA by moving it to PIP. They got rid of the lower rate care altogether and increased the mobility requirements. I'm a social worker, so complete countless disability benefit forms and have recently completed a bout of telephone assessments for PIP for those who can't complete their own. The questions are too stringent, they pigeon hole people. It is very, very hard to obtain PIP, even when disability and its impact on an individual's life is patently obvious

I am aware of the changes from DLA to PIP as been there and got the to shirt, but I thought the question was in relation to futher cuts after the budget, which there aren't any. wink

Dawndonnaagain Mon 03-Aug-15 15:53:21

The PiP forms have been deliberately designed to ensure there are fewer claimants and that those that can fill in the forms will get less than when on DLA. For example, there is nothing about night time care.

GarminGirl Mon 03-Aug-15 15:54:38

Thought this was about tax credits?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now