Talk

Advanced search

To think you shouldn't let pets sleep in a cot with a newborn?

(40 Posts)
DaenarysDrogo Sun 02-Aug-15 20:40:08

I visited a friend yesterday who has a lovely little DD who is just over a month old. I was however, rather taken aback when she said that her cat (a very large and furry one) often sleeps next to the baby in her cot when she's having a daytime nap. My friend doesn't stay in the room with her DD when she is asleep either, as she uses that time to do chores and cook. I could understand someone letting a cat sleep with a child when it was older but AIBU to think this could be dangerous when the baby is so young?

ASAS Sun 02-Aug-15 20:44:16

Please let you be a bored kid during summer holidays! Man alive!

passmethewineplease Sun 02-Aug-15 20:45:44

Jesus Christ that is way too risky, I don't believe in pets sharing any bed with humans tbh! But a baby?! No no no. YANBU

123Jump Sun 02-Aug-15 20:46:48

Our cat often curled up at the bottom of the cot bed when mine were little, but over 6 months at least!
She is being very foolish to do this,in fact I would have to say something. Would you say something?

ghostyslovesheep Sun 02-Aug-15 20:47:00

welcome to MN

I often leave mine in the car of our 4 cats while I go to the pub - they are far more reliable than the guinea pigs

NewOrleansGirl Sun 02-Aug-15 20:47:52

I recall being told by my midwife that several babies had been accidentally smothered by cats sleeping on them. I was warned to keep bedroom doors shut to avoid this (even though I've never had a cat! Think it was such a serious concern midwife told to tell all new mothers)

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 02-Aug-15 20:48:24

cats are crap baby sitters. pythons are sooo much better.

no hair balls

DaenarysDrogo Sun 02-Aug-15 20:49:09

I assure you I'm no bored kid ASAS. I wish I was! I am not a fan of any animal and would never in a million years let a cat sleep with a newborn but I was honestly starting to wonder if it was something animal lovers do, as my friend was talking about it in such a matter of fact way.

Andrewofgg Sun 02-Aug-15 20:49:55

Holy shit . . . is this real?

passmethewineplease Sun 02-Aug-15 20:50:38

I remember getting up one morning and going in to DS room I was about 35 weeks pregnant and a neighbours cat was in his Moses basket?! I was shocked but apparently cats like places like that. It got booted out, not literally though I felt like it I had only washed the bedding and sheets the day before DP once got up for walk and found it in the car seat!

TheHormonalHooker Sun 02-Aug-15 20:51:19

I used to let my hamster do the night feeds. I couldn't see the point in us both being up!

TwoLittleBlooms Sun 02-Aug-15 20:51:55

That is so dangerous! We have a cat and there is no way on earth I would leave my baby alone with the cat, let alone with the cat in the cot with her. You need to say something and pronto!

msgrinch Sun 02-Aug-15 20:53:34

ghosty me to! If both cats are babysitting I can stay for a proper pub session.

ghostyslovesheep Sun 02-Aug-15 20:55:30

mind you they cost a fortune in dreamy's

zeezeek Sun 02-Aug-15 20:57:11

Dogs make better babysitters than cats. If you get all three lying in the right position, then you can just bung the baby on top and go off for several hours without having to worry! NB this only works with labs or other lazy arse dogs wink

ShuShuFontana Sun 02-Aug-15 20:58:14

i have cats and children, had cat and babies too, sharing cots, moses baskets, car seats.... we're all still alive

my first cat got well acquainted with the bump and used to cosy in when I fed ds1, when the cat realised ds1 was staying he decided that blanking him, and all subsequent additions was his postion. He finally came around to the children after about 7 years, when ds2 was about3 or 4.

my second cat much preferred the bottom of the cot or moses basket with dd and ds2

It's something I can't get frothy about.

ThewheelThewheel Sun 02-Aug-15 21:02:14

Okay, on the off-chance that it's real, I would actually call her local health visitors and tell them about it. It might kill the baby.

DaenarysDrogo Sun 02-Aug-15 21:02:49

That's interesting ShuShu, am glad it was fine for you though I still wouldn't allow it with a newborn.

Sansarya Sun 02-Aug-15 21:05:13

I'm actually a longtime MN user, though I'll admit to having NCed for this in case my friend is on here - I'm sure a lot of people do that! But I guess the fact that everyone thinks I'm making it up is a good indication that my friend is BVU indeed. I will try and find a way of tactfully bringing it up with her.

passmethewineplease Sun 02-Aug-15 21:05:22

Newborns aren't supposed to have anything in the cot with him let alone an animal! shock

Good that everything was OK for you shu, that doesn't mean it's safe though or a good idea. hmm

Sansarya Sun 02-Aug-15 21:06:25

Oops, outed myself! Anyway if anyone thinks I'm a troll they can now see I'm not. Oh well!

ghostyslovesheep Sun 02-Aug-15 21:07:17

well did you really need to ask if it was sensible?

Sansarya Sun 02-Aug-15 21:12:51

Well as I said, the fact you all thought I was a troll is proof enough to me that she's being utterly bonkers!

ThewheelThewheel Sun 02-Aug-15 21:15:18

I really think you should report her to HV then - know that sounds extreme - but if she thinks it's okay, she won't just listen to a friend...

Kayden Sun 02-Aug-15 21:16:22

YABU to even ask this. confused Even my 7 year old would know this!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now