Talk

Advanced search

To be still worrying about 10 month old's injury?

(19 Posts)
thegreenbackboogie Sun 02-Aug-15 19:45:04

My 10 month old DD was crawling around this morning, lost balance and fell face first onto one of her plastic toys. I was sat with her when it happened but wasn't quick enough to catch her. She has a scratch (not deep enough to be a cut) where her eyelid meets the brow bone and it looks swollen and like a bruise is forming so she must have hit her eye area pretty hard [sad)

My ex (her dad) says it's nothing to worry about but also said he would feel responsible if he was me so I feel absolutely awful and I'm panicking that her eye may have been damaged. I have really bad anxiety so not sure whether I should be genuinely concerned or not.

It's calmes down since this morning but I'm still worried. Is this just what happens when babies start being active or should I be worried??

thegreenbackboogie Sun 02-Aug-15 19:46:58

sad fail!

BlackeyedSusan Sun 02-Aug-15 19:49:43

it happens, does not mean that you should not be concerned though, keep an eye on it and get advice if you are really worried. is she pfb? you tend to go to the gp a lot more with the first until you find what is "normal" for kids to get over.

just because you feel responsible, does not mean you are at fault. one tends to feel responsible for things that happen on your watch, even when they are accidents.

iggy155 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:49:51

Try and calm down. When my DD was about your age she toppled over and hit her head on the wall. she had a lump the size of an egg appear on her head. I panicked, took her to A&E and was told to give Calpol and monitor but to expect more bumps and bruises! If she seems fine in herself and I'd acting as she normally would I wouldn't worry too much.

IndecisionCentral Sun 02-Aug-15 19:50:09

Sounds completely normal to me. If her eye isn't injured and doesn't look bloodshot, she had no loss of consciousness or vomiting, I really wouldn't worry. DS used to quantify DDsinjuries as significant or not depending on whether there was an "egg" on her head or blood! Anything else apparently not even worthy of note!

That said, you know your child and if worried get her checked out of course.

iggy155 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:50:51

I meant your DD's age, not yours wink

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 02-Aug-15 19:51:08

Babies who are crawling, pulling up to standing and just learning to walk manage to give themselves some spectacular injuries falling over a gnats arse. Try not to worry, you did nothing wrong all you can do is take sensible precautions, cross your fingers and hope all their bumps are minor ones.

TopCivilServant Sun 02-Aug-15 19:55:44

Ok. Today my 8 month old son has fallen backwards from sitting and smacked his head on the floor, tried to suck the radiator cap and head butted the corner of the radiator, crawled over Princess Holly's bed and got it stuck in his hand and slid on his tummy backwards off the bed and landed on the floor on his bottom. All on my watch because I was distracted by my 2 year old. Not going to win any parenting prizes today but not going to lose any sleep over it either. You can't watch them all the time. Don't worry flowers

thegreenbackboogie Sun 02-Aug-15 20:11:25

She is pfb.

The eyeball itself looks perfectly fine but the injury is right above her eye so I don't know whether she knocked the eye itself or not. She had a mark on her nose too but it's not as bad.

I feel bloody awful! She's acting fine and the swelling isn't causing the eye to close or whatever. I just pray it doesn't turn into a black eye.

IndecisionCentral Sun 02-Aug-15 20:29:44

It's really not your fault. Babies explore, it's natural. Even if you're right next to them they can still fall.

Guilt is a normal part of motherhood, but it is unhelpful in every way. Let it go green. There is worse to come I'm afraid, the toddler years always involve a few a&e trips IME! Make your home reasonably safe and accept that bumps and bruises are part of learning. Cool packs for the fridge are great - my DC call them bruisers...

thegreenbackboogie Sun 02-Aug-15 21:05:29

Thanks. I know I need to forget about it because there's much worse to come. I just hate the fact that her dad said he woild feel guilty and responsible if he was me. Like I didn't feel bad enough already!

MadamArcatiAgain Sun 02-Aug-15 21:08:42

The eye area bruises and swells easily.It is nothing- relax!

MadamArcatiAgain Sun 02-Aug-15 21:13:15

it's unnecessary to feel guilty and responsible.lots of babies that age are walking, some even running with more or less zero perception of danger.My youngest at a similar age used to climb up onto anything she could and then just launch herself off- I couldn't even call it jumping- .What are you supposed to Do? Tie them up? wrap them in cotton wool?

MagicalMrsMistoffelees Sun 02-Aug-15 21:29:08

It's horrible when they hurt themselves, particularly on their face / head and particularly when it happens on your watch!

So I hate to tell you this but...there is worse to come! My 8 and 5 year olds are always bashing themselves, particularly the 5 year old. Aged 3 he jumped off our bed and split his head on the wardrobe (stitches). Aged 4 he fell over playing football and the hinge on the arm of his glasses gouged out a chunk of his skin just above his eyebrow (stitches, probable scar). Aged 5 he came off his scooter on a steep hill going at top speed and smashed his face and caused a massive egg of a lump on his head. (I'm still having nightmares about that one and feel very guilty as he didn't have his helmet on.)

Please don't worry too much - you did nothing wrong and your child is fine. They're pretty resilient little creatures!

thegreenbackboogie Sun 02-Aug-15 21:46:26

Thank you smile

I'm going to try and relax. It's been one of those weeks and today was just the icing on the cake but tomorrow's a new day/week so will stop beating myself up and move on!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 02-Aug-15 21:47:57

My 19 month old tripped over her own feet in our living room, landed awkwardly and fractured her leg! I felt horrific but realistically there was nothing I could have done. There will be a lot of accidents as your child grows up, and absolutely no need to feel guilty flowers

Lj8893 Sun 02-Aug-15 22:06:56

Oh bless her. I'm sure she's fine!

21 month old dd hits her head spectacularly on a daily basis. Friday was tripping over her own feet after swimming and landing headfirst on the bench in the changing room, Saturday was slamming her head down on her changing table (purposefully!!!) and today was just randomly flinging herself backwards and her head landed on one of her wooden large toys.

She cries for about a minute, has a cuddle and she's fine again. I've learnt now not to worry!

musicinspring1 Sun 02-Aug-15 22:28:52

I have a 10 month old too and she is forever trying to pull herself up on things and failing, resulting in bumps and tears and this is with me looking at her!!! Brace yourself for more bumps and bruises, even if you are just sat staring at them!! grin

Noodledoodledoo Sun 02-Aug-15 22:44:00

Well today my 10 month old head butted me to start the day and had a red patch on her brow - didn't seem to bother her (my nose hurt like hell so it was a pretty hard bang) and when that had died down a little (after about 3 hours) she managed to bonk her head on the side of the swimming pool and ended up with 3 red stripes on her head from the drain thing along the side of the pool! Again didn't bother her sat up and grinned at us!

Tell your ex its life and you can't wrap her in bubble wrap - as others have said she will get into all sorts as she finds her feet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now