Talk

Advanced search

To expect dog owners to be responsible

(12 Posts)
maybetomorrow22 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:17:29

I am so fed up of people not taking responsibility for their dogs or even supervising them!

Our neighbours let their five (!) dogs out the back door to run around through our property and surrounding countryside totally unsupervised, terrorise other dogs and their owners, chase horses and mess in my garden while they sit in their house with the doors closed.

I have a son who is petrified of dogs and these are big brutal looking dogs and I am a my wit's end.

On several occasions I have had to do emergency stops to avoid knocking them down and their owners just don't seem to care.

Part of me thinks I shouldn't stop but I know deep down I couldn't actually do it, after all it's not the dogs fault their owners are inconsiderate arseholes.

I have been onto the local council, police and RSPCA but all are bloody useless.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this??

Icantbelieveitsnotbutter Sun 02-Aug-15 19:19:10

Catch them and take them to a local dog warden. It's £70 per animal to be released where I am wink

QuiteLikely5 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:19:31

Yes, contact the council.

I take it you have approached the neighbours and asked them to be mindful of your sons fear?

GraysAnalogy Sun 02-Aug-15 19:20:11

Oh not another one.

You're not unreasonable. All dog owners are not like that. Keep reporting, speak to neighbours, try to block off your property more if possible. Don't really know what else to suggest.
And yes don't bloody run them over.

MostAmused Sun 02-Aug-15 19:30:19

Report to Dog warden again and remember that a lot of us dog owners are actually extremly responsible and don't appreciate being lumped in with the bad lot :/

pigsDOfly Sun 02-Aug-15 19:32:59

RSPCA wouldn't be interested but isn't it against the law to have dogs on the street off the lead and out of control? Especially if you're having to do emergency stops to avoid them.

Surely this should be something the police should deal with. What did they say when you reported it?

You say you've spoken to local council, did you report it to the dog warden? Although as far as I can see they don't actually have much power so you probably wouldn't get far with them either.

Wolfiefan Sun 02-Aug-15 19:33:22

OP wasn't saying dog owners are irresponsible. Clearly these ones are.
Dog warden?

MostAmused Sun 02-Aug-15 19:42:49

The title suggests all dog owners are irresponsible whereas it is her neighbours that are causing an issue not a big group of dog owners. I would feel exactly the same if I was in OPs situation.
Anyway, Dog wardens-
Your council should have a dog warden/dog control officer to report such instances to
" Dog Control Officers offer advice on dog ownership as well as investigate complaints received from the public regarding dog nuisances such as:

Dog fouling in public places (you have a legal responsibility to clean up after your dog)
Dog barking
Straying dogs
Out of Control Dogs
"

maybetomorrow22 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:44:17

Thanks, I appreciate that it's only the minority and I don't actually mind dogs. I'm actually trying to encourage son to get over his fear with friendly dogs/dog owners and it was going well until recently.

I will keep on at the dog warden

LilyMayViolet Sun 02-Aug-15 19:46:04

Wow, your neighbour are a nightmare. Highly irresponsible dog owners, I feel for you and their dogs.

maybetomorrow22 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:48:24

Neighbours are quite young and don't seem to understand their responsibilities or care.

The police say they don't have any powers to deal with dogs

Lurkedforever1 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:43:11

Film them so you have evidence.
The police have a duty if a dog is likely to cause an accident, so if they're running about on roads it is their jurisdiction

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now