Talk

Advanced search

to complain to my factor

(17 Posts)
itsmeitscathy Sun 02-Aug-15 19:05:15

I own my flat (so it's my factor not a landlord who is responsible for this) and have a factor who I and other residents pay handsomely
I have bushes in front of my window which have been recently chopped - but they've done it on a downwards slope and it looks terrible.

am I being pedantic? not sure, I think the factor probably doesn't know what a mess the contractor has made of it. WIBU to email with photos and ask that it is redone (with no Extra charge obv)?

sadwidow28 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:18:01

There is no harm in asking. How often are the bushes pruned? (Just wondering if the contractors will be returning in a few months and you could have a word with them.)

NynaevesSister Sun 02-Aug-15 20:10:43

I've not heard of the term 'factor'

futureme Sun 02-Aug-15 20:12:05

Whats a factor?

londonrach Sun 02-Aug-15 20:13:48

Factor?

steff13 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:15:50

I don't know what a factor is, so I'm not sure what his responsibility is. Is he like a gardener?

FarFromAnyRoad Sun 02-Aug-15 20:16:20

Lost - what is a 'factor'? confused

overthemill Sun 02-Aug-15 20:16:22

A factor is a property manager in Scotland

londonrach Sun 02-Aug-15 20:20:11

Thanks overthemill. You learn something new every day. Op talk to your factor.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sun 02-Aug-15 20:23:06

i presume your in Scotland op.

I've just looked up factor in terms of flats, it's the person/company who owns/is responsible for the common areas of owned flats, so the buildings rather than the individal flats themselves the gardens etc. Well that's how I understand it.

Op is it really scuffy so it would make a bad impression? Because if it's not a good job but you can live with it, I'd leave it til the contractors revisit.

But it might be worth letting the factor know your unhappy.

itsmeitscathy Sun 02-Aug-15 22:10:04

thanks, sorry, I didn't know it was a Scottish thing! lol to it being a gardener :-D

I can only see out half my window, and my factors fees are extortionate. I kind of feel that if they're managing the contracts they should be doing it well.

incidentally, theyve swapped firm for maintenance recently - it shows!

AgentProvocateur Sun 02-Aug-15 22:25:36

A factor is like a legitimate robber wink

In Scotland, all our property is freehold. So for flats, a factor is often appointed to arrange communal repairs. All owners pay into the fund, then the factors take forever to arrange a crap, overpriced repair. Money for old rope.

SeenSheen Sun 02-Aug-15 23:56:23

Sounds mathematical to me, multiple dwellings looked after by a factor.
Yes definitely tell them, you paid your share and the work doesn't appear to have been checked properly.

cozietoesie Sun 02-Aug-15 23:58:43

You're paying for it - so darned tooting you should contact the factor.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Mon 03-Aug-15 01:41:04

Ahh that type of property management/factor, charge the most spend the least.

As its that dreadful, yes complain to the factor, like you say it's their responsibility and if their getting cheapest contracts to do crap work then I suspect other owners will have issues too.

soloula Mon 03-Aug-15 13:59:24

No harm getting back in touch OP and telling them you're not happy. It's another thing entirely whether the factor actually takes your concerns on board and does something. Sometimes you need a bit of perseverance! Take a note of who/when you speak to someone or do it all by email so you have a record of your conversations in case you need to take it further. Good luck!

IamtheDevilsAvocado Mon 03-Aug-15 14:32:19

When we had a gardening firm to look after our shared gardens - there was massive difference between the best and worse firms.
They all were met beforehand and told of what we wanted them to do.

For their 300£ fee, one would turn up for 30 mins every couple of months... Wander around smoking a fag and cthe the lawn badly. Another firm had 3 chaps work like trojans for several hours...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now