Talk

Advanced search

Is £10 each too much for a two hour toddler group?

(47 Posts)
MrsMarigold Thu 30-Jul-15 22:14:02

I think this is seriously expensive - it was a free flow art and crafts session (extra £2 for face painting). Granted they need to buy materials but it was in a park and there must've been about 35 kids. Strangely if it had been £6 for an hour I wouldn't have minded as much. I asked other mums if they thought it was poor value for money but they said no they didn't mind because they didn't have to clean up - confused

BTW we are in London but it was in zone 3 so not central.

MistletoeBUTNOwine Thu 30-Jul-15 22:14:56

I think it's expensive

Reignbeau Thu 30-Jul-15 22:16:27

Yes that is extortionate. We had a similar thing here last week and it was £1 for 2 hours and that included face painting and a snack.

Artandco Thu 30-Jul-15 22:16:35

Sounds fine, especially London. That's only £5 an hour. In comparison local music class here is £35 for 45mins and you have to pay whole term in advance

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Thu 30-Jul-15 22:17:40

I think its expensive. ... the local arty groups near me charge £5 first child subsequent children £1 each. runs 1.5 hrs. they are doing a beach activity and charging £3 per family. grin

im in South east. However we will be going to all the free activities grin

Twentyninedays Thu 30-Jul-15 22:17:58

£35 for a toddler music session? That is funny.

BikeRunSki Thu 30-Jul-15 22:18:57

Yes! My youngest is nearly 4 and i haven't been to any toddler groups for about a year. For the type of group you've described, I didn't used to pay more than about £2.50, usually closer to £1. Rural West Yorks though.

Artandco Thu 30-Jul-15 22:20:42

TWenty - well it was 2 years ago, it's still on so assume same ish price. Needless to say we didn't go, I enquired only, and seeing as I have 2 it would have been £70 for 45mins. They have a full on waiting list also, and quite a few children per class

PtolemysNeedle Thu 30-Jul-15 22:22:13

Depends on what the craft activities are. If the children can make something nice to take home then it's not so bad, if it's just poster paint and a playdough table, then it's a lot.

MrsMarigold Thu 30-Jul-15 22:23:46

I hope that is one on one music tuition OP!

We've been to some pretty expensive drama classes and music classes but I feel the children get more out of it as it is more structured and there is a focus on confidence learning or memory skills. Also there is someone leading the session but this was literally a few trestle tables and some googly eyes, old wrapping paper, pvc glue and poster paint in a field.

Oh and I forgot to add I have two DC and with the sibling discount (which was one measly pound) the whole thing came to £23.

MrsBungle Thu 30-Jul-15 22:25:22

Wow, I used to help run a toddler group. We had crafts such as making bird feeders lard and seeds as well as drink, toast and fruit - £2.50 for 2 hours. This the midlands though.

Topseyt Thu 30-Jul-15 22:26:06

Sounds like daylight robbery to me, London or not.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 30-Jul-15 22:26:13

Not in London then OP? Need to know to form and opinion, but it does sound extortionate expensive.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 30-Jul-15 22:27:17

Oops, sorry have RTFT. You are indeed in That London. Still dear tho

Smellyoulateralligator Thu 30-Jul-15 22:30:14

I've seen something similar in a cafe in Queen's Park years ago. I'm sure there's a little bit of social engineering going on when I see unnecessarily expensive children's activities hmm

Llareggub Thu 30-Jul-15 22:30:30

How much?!

Hahahahahahahaha

southeastastra Thu 30-Jul-15 22:34:02

i don't think it's too expensive, lots of these soft of groups aren't subsidised so they're expensive to run.

Dontloookbackinanger Thu 30-Jul-15 22:34:58

Toddler classes are generally £10-£12 for 45 mins where we are in London, so £10 for 2 hours seems pretty reasonable to me.

Baffledmumtoday Thu 30-Jul-15 22:35:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KevinKnowsImMiserableNow Thu 30-Jul-15 22:37:03

I took my kids to a craft session this week £3.50 per child for 3 hours and they could make as many things as they wanted in that time, including proper craft kits like princess castles. Was in leisure centre in SE

BackforGood Thu 30-Jul-15 22:37:22

Sounds massively expensive to me.
There's been loads of stuff like that going on in our local park over the last month, for free!
I would expect it to cost a couple of ££ per child.

southeastastra Thu 30-Jul-15 22:39:22

alot of the free activities are probably funded by the councils but remember during the cuts lots of services had the subsidies cut completely

it's very hard for some to keep running without costing the market rate sadly

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Thu 30-Jul-15 22:39:54

I'm in London zone 3 (East) none of the local groups around here are more than £2, most of the groups (including a lovely arts and craft group) are free.

MrsMarigold Thu 30-Jul-15 22:48:59

This was North London, but seriously overheads and marketing costs must've been low. I know I'm as tight as a gnat's arse and if I hadn't told the DC we were going beforehand we would've just left.

Zeitgeistic Thu 30-Jul-15 22:55:42

That would be considered very expensive here in the South East. I don't know of any toddler group that charges that much. Even baby swimming and the Jo Jingles type things are less than that! I wouldn't even consider paying £10 for a run of the mill toddler group. Madness. Especially since the local SureStart runs a great art group for a voluntary donation of £1.50.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now