Talk

Advanced search

To think the NDN should ask first!

(72 Posts)
LimeandTonic Thu 30-Jul-15 21:05:13

We have a shed with a combined garage. There are four windows which face next doors property. Two windows in the shed and two in the garage. The garage is kept locked and only used when moving the car in or out. The wall of the shed and garage form part of the boundary between our two properties. Last year a storm blew out a shed window. We have asked a local builder to fix it, either by replacing the window frame or just bricking up the window completely. He said he will do it when he has a window in his diary...( see what I did there?)
This morning I was in the shed as the NDN's mother walked past. She could clearly see in our shed, we could clearly see her walk by.
NDN has a room on that side of their house and they keep their blind down permanently. I presume in order to stop us looking in. I don't think we could see in, but maybe at night if they had a light on? But I don't hang around in our shed at night. Honestly, I really don't.
Today I heard a load of banging. It was NDN's father hammering a sheet of plywood onto our window frame on their side of the property. It looks shite. Worse from their side.
He said it was because he saw cats jumping through the open window. They hate cats, they are farmers and don't want cats peeing on the hay they feed the cattle with.
Firstly, the cats are feral and as such roam wherever and whenever they choose.
Secondly the boundary wall next to the shed is lower than the window and the feral cats can more easily access NDN's garden there.
Thirdly shouldn't he have asked before doing this? We wouldn't have objected although it's a futile exercise regarding cats. I really suspect it's because they don't want us to look at their house.
What angers me is that they don't talk to us about stuff like this, just go ahead and do things that affect us without seeking our opinion. He thinks he can just fecking go ahead and nail plywood to our property.
If it matters our house has been here 35 years, NDN 5 years. So it's not as if we were imposing on them.
All he had to do was just chat to us. We wouldn't have said no.
Maybe IABU. I feel better for getting it all out.
Thanks Mumsnet.
(Do you want photos?)

Noodledoodledoo Thu 30-Jul-15 21:09:28

I would say you ABU - its been at least 7 months since the window blew out - even the worst builder could have fitted you in by now if you had chased them.

LimeandTonic Thu 30-Jul-15 21:11:47

Here are photos

FenellaFellorick Thu 30-Jul-15 21:14:04

They clearly value their privacy very highly.
When the person you asked to deal with it finds a slot in their diary ( nearly a year?! Bugger me they must be rolling in it! ) they can remove the plywood and brick up the window.

LimeandTonic Thu 30-Jul-15 21:15:37

But how would it make any difference? Cats can jump over the wall. We could see through glass.
Is he reasonable to do this to our propert without checking with us?
Am I really unreasonable. Am I joining ranks of all the other unreasonable posters who won't accept the classification of unreasonability?

FenellaFellorick Thu 30-Jul-15 21:15:50

Totally forgot to answer your Q blush
Yes they should have asked before banging some thing onto property belonging to you.

FenellaFellorick Thu 30-Jul-15 21:17:12

No. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect your neighbour not to board up your window.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 30-Jul-15 21:18:05

I would just knock it off again. They have no right to put it up on your building. It does restrict your natural light.

I can't see why they even have a right to be annoyed really.

I get they'd rather the window wasn't there but glass or not it is, no extra noise or distrubance is created by it not being there is it?

LimeandTonic Thu 30-Jul-15 21:18:14

I suspect the builder can't be arsed as it's such a small job. We live in the same village and it would shock everyone to the core if we got a different builder.
I need to get out more, don't I?

TRexingInAsda Thu 30-Jul-15 21:19:02

Yes, you should have said said to him 'Well you should have asked first' when he mentioned it. Next time you speak maybe a passive-aggressive friendly "Don't forget to ask us first if you want to nail anything onto our property"! Although tbf it was a window blown out for months, so really should have been boarded or replaced by now (by the owners or with permission though). So yanbu but I am sat on the fence a bit.

LimeandTonic Thu 30-Jul-15 21:22:40

Thanks Fenella, you have certainly cleared that up...... I think.
M ( can I call you that?) I can't knock it off. NDN's parents are a bit... er.... righteous and indignant and intimidating. I is a coward.

FenellaFellorick Thu 30-Jul-15 21:24:47

grin Yes I think you do.

Oh please get a different builder.

Imagine the thrill youd give the village?

It's practically a public service it's that exciting. It'll be like the time the milkman didn't come until 8 or when Margaret had dirty nets

( can you tell I live in a village)

Collaborate Thu 30-Jul-15 21:25:13

YANBU. Just knock it back out though and tell them not to do it again.

LimeandTonic Thu 30-Jul-15 21:28:10

Ok. I'll admit we should have chased the builder. I'm in the west of Ireland and we don't accept the concept of expediency. We have a notion that the Man who made time made plenty of it.
TRex, please don't mention fences. That was a previous thread when they had a hedgerow ripped up and an industrial concrete and wire fence replace it.
I think I might move.

stairbears Thu 30-Jul-15 21:28:39

YANBU. Some farmers think they own everything!

LimeandTonic Thu 30-Jul-15 21:31:47

Collaborate, you want to start a faction fight, don't you? Look I'm not brave like you. I is a coward. I told you that already.

Epilepsyhelp Thu 30-Jul-15 21:32:00

If it's a party wall which it sounds like it is then I don't think they ABU.

The window broke last year. It's July. Of course it would have been better if they knocked on your door and discussed, but frankly YAB tres U to just leave it so long.

Lurkedforever1 Thu 30-Jul-15 21:34:52

Yanbu. Thank him profusely, and tell him you would have got it reglazed sooner, but you've been getting quotes as you intend replacing 3/4 of the wall with a patio door to give you a better view of the scenery. And you are grateful he's kept the cats out as you don't want their suprise spoiling, once your feral feeding station is open and daily fish delivery in place you'll be fitting a cat flap.

LimeandTonic Thu 30-Jul-15 21:35:11

I dunno about all farmers, but NDN does what he thinks and we can feck off to Ballyfeckit.

CuttingOutTheCrap Thu 30-Jul-15 21:37:24

YANBU in that your neighbour has no right to board up your window (presumably leaving marks in the frame form the nails etc) without your permission.

Seems odd that they'd do this for privacy reasons though as presumably the glass that was there before was see through? Could they be worried about it attracting thieves/rough sleepers or something? Personally i'd have had i fixed (or at least boarded up) by now, but that's not your neighbour's call.

LimeandTonic Thu 30-Jul-15 21:38:18

Epilepsy, I can't accept IABU. Moi? Tres U? Oh non non non, peut etre un petit U?

LimeandTonic Thu 30-Jul-15 21:40:56

Lurked, a feral cat feeding station? Hah! Ok I admit I feed them. I can't help it. They make me do it.
I agree with Cutting and everyone else who agrees with me nbu.

CrazyOldBagLady Thu 30-Jul-15 21:42:44

It's an odd thing to do, it's a nonsense story, and he absolutely should've asked, but all in all it does sound like he has done you a favour. I would probably let it slide unless there are other weird goings on between the two of you.

LimeandTonic Thu 30-Jul-15 21:50:11

Crazy, who told you that? I deny it completely. He really isn't my type and is only married to the hardest harridan in the village. She'd cut me up, slowly and then salt my leftovers.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 30-Jul-15 21:59:07

I double dare you to get a core drill and drill a smiley face into the offending boarding.

grin

With big eyes, a big nose and a great big broad smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now