Talk

Advanced search

In praise of my plumber

(10 Posts)
howabout Thu 30-Jul-15 17:25:04

My plumber arrived at the appointed time and changed 3 washers and mended the leak in the toilet all in half an hour.
AIBU in saying that a reliable plumber is essential for a happy home life?

WorraLiberty Thu 30-Jul-15 17:28:48

I suppose it all depends on how handy you are yourself really.

I change washers myself, rather than calling someone in.

Not sure I could mend a leaky toilet, although I'd google a few tutorials to see if I could have a go.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Thu 30-Jul-15 17:33:27

A good plumber is essential. We made the mistake of hiring a bad one, ended up needing gas safe to come out and solve the problem. Always go by word of mouth, not who can be there soonest. Had we waited for a plumber family recommended it would have been so much easier!

Letsallgotobed Thu 30-Jul-15 17:34:37

If you live in North Yorkshire, I need this man's name and number.

In the last week I have arranged for four plumbers to come and give me a quote. Two just didn't bother showing up, one turned up two hours late when DH and I were in the middle of DTD and one turned up a day late and when I said 'But you were meant to come yesterday'. He shrugged and went 'Weeeelll, Monday, Tuesday, it's all the same isn't it?'. hmm Erm, no.

CarpeJugulum Thu 30-Jul-15 17:41:36

My PIL's neighbour recommended a plumber - he's bloody marvellous (Disclaimer - I haven't had the bill yet!) and has provided details of a good electrician.

Good tradesmen are worth their weight in gold/platinum/chocolate!

wigglesrock Thu 30-Jul-15 17:52:54

My plumber saved my sanity earlier this year. We were replacing our shower, they pulled the shower out & it was a disaster underneath. I panicked - tiles on the floor had to be lifted, walls redone, radiators moved - my basic nightmare. He was brilliant, quick, helped with the insurance claim, just sorted it with the minimum of fuss and didn't rip the arse out of the price. I love him, he was recommended to me and I've recommended him to everyone I know. He also left my bathroom cleaner than it was before he started.

timeforacheckup Thu 30-Jul-15 17:56:04

We should have a mumsnet approved tradespeople list!

Yarp Thu 30-Jul-15 18:31:38

I have had lots of luck with plumbers, but don't get me started on Gas Fitters

howabout Thu 30-Jul-15 21:02:03

Letsallgotobed I am in Scotland. I took years to find my guy so I have felt your pain. DH didn't believe me about having to call 3 times and waiting around for 2 days till I made him do it.

Now all I need is an electrician as mine relocated.

Worra I am impressed.

stealthsquiggle Thu 30-Jul-15 21:07:05

I am exceedingly fond of our plumber, electrician, carpenter and decorator.

Also the tiler although we have used him less. The plasterers are masters of their art but I don't like them as much as the others who are all lovely people.

We are capable of doing lots of this stuff ourselves, honest - it's the scale of the challenge which this house presents which defeats us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now