Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think we don't discuss news enough on Mumsnet?

(25 Posts)
CopaBanana Thu 30-Jul-15 09:46:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Altinkum Thu 30-Jul-15 09:48:48

BackInTheRealWorld Thu 30-Jul-15 09:50:08

You can start a thread about whichever news topic you want to discuss.

duckduckCHICKEN Thu 30-Jul-15 09:50:30

There is at least one thread running about Calais.

I see all aspects of the news discussed on here every day so I'm unsure why you don't see it, but if there is a subject you want to discuss then just start a thread.

TheHouseOnBellSt Thu 30-Jul-15 09:51:30

Go to the news section OP.

CopaBanana Thu 30-Jul-15 10:38:16

RepeatAdNauseum Thu 30-Jul-15 10:41:29

There are lots of threads on Calais - including a really big one that has been going for weeks. There was one yesterday about whether the UK can or should do more, and where the borders lie.

There have been threads this week on Cecil's killing and whether big game hunting serves any purpose, on the 777 wing found yesterday and whether it's part of MH370, on Greece and the situation there, on missing children and current criminal cases...

There's a lot of topical discussion.

Egosumquisum Thu 30-Jul-15 10:43:35

DarkEvilMoon Thu 30-Jul-15 10:48:34

I come to mn to avoid the news. js

cuntycowfacemonkey Thu 30-Jul-15 10:53:20

I disagree with you OP there have been many threads on the Calais situation. Lots of news gets discussed on here just probably not started in the news section. MN is a big place with endless amounts of topics and sections. I generally just live on active convo's so imagine it is easy to miss a lot on there.

WorraLiberty Thu 30-Jul-15 10:56:14

Have the Calais threads been pulled then?

I counted at least 3 the other day.

Fatmomma99 Thu 30-Jul-15 10:56:57

Me too, DarkEvilMoon. If I see an obviously newsy one, I often don't even read it. Although during the elections someone did describe David Cameron's face as looking like a "freshly wanked cock" which made me laugh a lot and which I remember every time I see his cock-like face.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 30-Jul-15 11:00:18

There are always threads discussing current affairs, I disagree with you OP, there is debate , passionate at times and plenty in the news topic obviously.

FarFromAnyRoad Thu 30-Jul-15 11:03:44

Do I detect from the OP's posts that she doesn't think MN news comment has the kind of gravitas she's seeking?

Egosumquisum Thu 30-Jul-15 11:04:35

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 30-Jul-15 11:11:03

Oh. Are we doing the internet wrong then?

Spartans Thu 30-Jul-15 11:11:22

Yabu. There is a whole topic for the news. And stories from the news are often discussed right here in aibu as well as other topics across the site.

If there is a particular news story you think should be discussed, start a thread

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 30-Jul-15 11:13:56

Are there any other forums where women discuss current affairs and other things in a bit more detail

I don't know, google it and find out?

Want2bSupermum Thu 30-Jul-15 11:19:13

The one thing we have in common on MN is that we are either parents or want to be parents in the future and we all have very different viewpoints when it comes to what's going on in the world. This is why I tend to shy away from discussing current news with anyone in RL or on here that isn't to do with UK or US politics. Proper MN's don't come on MN to be divisive which is why I think people don't start posts based on most current events as published in the papers or online. It's only the big stories that get directly discussed, such as the calais issue and the general election.

antimatter Thu 30-Jul-15 11:20:11

Youvare likely to find them on MN in AIBU and Chat. I agree I would like them being streamed together in one location based on some tag but I doubt MN is going to develop this functionality any time soon grin

Egosumquisum Thu 30-Jul-15 11:24:25

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Thu 30-Jul-15 12:01:55

I don't use MN for news. If I want to discuss news I do so irl with friends, or use other sites. I agree with a pp - there seems to be a slight (and probably completely unintentional) tone of condescension in your posts. For properly hard core discussion of the news then follow academic discussions, seek out lectures or public roundtables, head over to the economist and new statesman (for example). I do political thinking for a living. I don't want MN to be a bus man's holiday.

ilovesooty Thu 30-Jul-15 12:13:08

Want2b not everyone on here is a parent or wants to be one.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 30-Jul-15 12:16:35

The one thing we have in common on MN is that we are either parents or want to be parents in the future

Where's you get that information from?

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Thu 30-Jul-15 12:31:56

Try in the news
or politics

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now