Talk

Advanced search

Manners

(9 Posts)
AlwaysSpoiled34 Thu 30-Jul-15 09:18:58

AIBU to ask you how do you react to rude people? Surely being nice to them is not a solution? What would you do?

Eternalsunshines Thu 30-Jul-15 09:26:16

Depends on the situation but I tend to reply/converse with someone in the same manner they great me with. If some one is off/sharp with me they will get the same tone back which in most cases makes them realise they're being rude.

If someone is polite to me I am polite back!

Eternalsunshines Thu 30-Jul-15 09:26:30

Greet*

AlwaysSpoiled34 Thu 30-Jul-15 09:31:52

I like people with manners. They are great and gentle. They do not want to hurt. They try to think about other people and their feelings. A bit of empathy can go a long way.

wigglesrock Thu 30-Jul-15 09:35:06

I'm not really sure what your point is. I know someone with lovely manners, she's neither gentle nor kind but her manners are impeccable.

Seriouslyffs Thu 30-Jul-15 09:37:52

Manners covers so much.
Not cutting a bread roll is not the same as not barging past someone, talking over them or even talking with your mouth full.
What's your point OP? wink

caravanista13 Thu 30-Jul-15 09:42:23

Of course you respond politely otherwise you're both as bad as each other!

TheHouseOnBellSt Thu 30-Jul-15 09:47:17

My old flatmate was very intelligent and very, very polite. He always dealt with rude people by explaining their mistake...briefly but pointedly.

Eg. One night there was a get together and a friend of his drank too much and she became emotional and a bit messy....another woman got quite hysterical over this poor drunk woman and was saying all sorts of offensive things such as "Oh we should call the police! She's a danger to herself....look! She's going to be sick on the rug!! She's always been dangerous!! Oh she's going to get violent!"

Which she wasn't.

So my flatmate, in the middle of picking his drunk friend up said curtly "Thank you for your concern however it is misplaced...leave the room now and I will deal with her."

I think speaking sense is a good idea when faced with rude people.

ThomasRichard Thu 30-Jul-15 09:48:07

Seriously, I think the difference there is the boundary between manners, which I think of as universal, and etiquette, which differs depending on class, location etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now